GRE Frustrations

emoleys

Just here to add to the pool of GRE anger. I took the GREs for the first time in 2008 and got a 710Q 680V and 4.5. I took it again last month and got a 710Q 580V and 4.5 Analytical.

So I thought, if I'm going to get into the international affairs program of my choice, I have to do much better, right? So this time, I really pushed myself with the studying. I thought that I was going in prepared.

Just got back from the test. I got a 680Q and 540V!!!! WHAT IN THE WORLD?! I thought that I could at sharpen my application but I only made it worse. I'll have to wait another two weeks for the Analytical, but I'm not exactly looking forward to that with anticipation.

Has this happened to anyone else? I feel like I've wasted all this time. I'm so fed up with this GRE monopoly on standardized testing!

I second the other poster's idea, that maybe your stress and anxiety negatively affected you during the exam. Did you feel confident after? I felt panicked beforehand, but during the exam itself was able to calm down a lot and just take it question by question. My scores were extremely average, but pretty good, and I attribute a lot of that to being able to remain calm during the exam.

No offense, but is a 1390 all a sudden a "bad" score now? Why did you have to retake it in the first place? I can understand if you were getting 800Q and 750V on your practice exams and felt like your FIRST score was unwarranted, but if you're trying to get a 750 instead of a 710Q and a 700 instead of a 680V, I honestly don't think that adcoms would care nearly as much as you think they would (but I could be wrong).

You all very well could be right. It may have been stress or anxiety. But like I said before, I really went in there feeling prepared. I did not feel particularly stressed out or anxious. I did actually feel somewhat confident.

In regards to improving my score, I am trying to better my application through my scores. My concern is that I may not have the most stellar resume or GPA and I'm trying to get a better GRE score in order to compensate. I do actually think that my first score was okay. Not great but okay. However, my thinking is that if I can find ways to better my chances, then why not?

After reading a lot of posts about the GRE, I've noticed something. Everyone is afraid of the damn test, obsessed with getting over a 1300, yet no one knows what adcomms are truly looking for..............................Its a test. chill. its not worth the stress.

Besides, this whole thing is a crap shoot. Approx. 200 applicants to each program, 6 to 8 open slots for each program....you need to make them like you. you've done fine on the test, now wow them with some clever writing.

Just here to add to the pool of GRE anger. I took the GREs for the first time in 2008 and got a 710Q 680V and 4.5. I took it again last month and got a 710Q 580V and 4.5 Analytical.

So I thought, if I'm going to get into the international affairs program of my choice, I have to do much better, right? So this time, I really pushed myself with the studying. I thought that I was going in prepared.

Just got back from the test. I got a 680Q and 540V!!!! WHAT IN THE WORLD?! I thought that I could at sharpen my application but I only made it worse. I'll have to wait another two weeks for the Analytical, but I'm not exactly looking forward to that with anticipation.

Has this happened to anyone else? I feel like I've wasted all this time. I'm so fed up with this GRE monopoly on standardized testing!

yes, test takers can get very frustrated and start to believe that the standardized testing process is absurd.

I have received Q:770 and V: 710.

Just ask yourself,

"Do I "understand" all the vocabularies?"

I must emphasize "understand" because GRE is not about merely memorizing the vocabularies and their meanings.

It's all about being able to tell the nuiances of each vocabs.

If you are able to catch that 800 for V is piece of cake

I looked up the Yerkes-Dodson law, and yes, I believe it's what caused MY slide in scores over several attempts, despite hundreds of hours of studying (quantitative; verbal is pretty much easy for me).

So THANK YOU "hello :)". I will try the "chill" strategy

OP---FYI: You are NOT the only one who's had this disappointment of a worse score on a subsequent administration of the test. I've taken the GRE three times in the past 18 months or so, trying to break 700 in both tests, and here are my results:

1st time: 800-V 670-Q

2nd time: 760-V 690-Q After intense review of math, my Q score only went up 20 pts, and my V came down 40 pts

3rd time: 720-V 640-Q After even more intense study, both scores hit their lowest!

Thank goodness! I felt a crazy person when I was staring at those results on the computer screen after the exam. I think I'll need to give the Yerkes-Dodson consideration next time I take an exam.

I looked up the Yerkes-Dodson law, and yes, I believe it's what caused MY slide in scores over several attempts, despite hundreds of hours of studying (quantitative; verbal is pretty much easy for me).

So THANK YOU "hello :)". I will try the "chill" strategy

OP---FYI: You are NOT the only one who's had this disappointment of a worse score on a subsequent administration of the test. I've taken the GRE three times in the past 18 months or so, trying to break 700 in both tests, and here are my results:

1st time: 800-V 670-Q

2nd time: 760-V 690-Q After intense review of math, my Q score only went up 20 pts, and my V came down 40 pts

3rd time: 720-V 640-Q After even more intense study, both scores hit their lowest!

why did you take the GRE again after the first time? I mean anybody who took that test knows that it is a piece of c****. I would rather spent time on shaping the rest of my application to perfection and improve on publications/research - as this at the end is what gets you funding.

why did you take the GRE again after the first time? [ . . . ] and improve on publications/research - as this at the end is what gets you funding.

It's a long story. Essentially, I had poor undergraduate grades (almost 40 years ago!) and no research or publications in my field of interest.

My goal is to have my application at least looked-at with a near-perfect GRE, then maybe the AdComms will consider my application based on SOP and independent research I'm doing on my own (writing an original computer model) right now.

I need a very high score, a perfect score if possible, in BOTH verbal and quant because I want to do interdisciplinary research (music + computer modeling) and I need funding, and the only places that would have funding for such an outlandish project are the most elite universities.

Before anybody tells me this is impossible, I know it's a very long shot, and maybe I am hopelessly naive.

John

Edited by DrFaustus666

It's a long story. Essentially, I had poor undergraduate grades (almost 40 years ago!) and no research or publications in my field of interest.

My goal is to have my application at least looked-at with a near-perfect GRE, then maybe the AdComms will consider my application based on SOP and independent research I'm doing on my own (writing an original computer model) right now.

well this sounds reasonable. I am however not sure if it works this way. When I took the GRE two years ago I thought it to be so incredibly random, of no real use to evaluate any grad school performance (beside spending a long useless time to perform well in a standardized test) . Being an international student for sure did not help my verbal and analytical score much, especially as I was not willing to study vocabulary I would never use again in my life. I would not worry super much about 40 years old grades (they are neither comparable to the ones people get today in course content nor level - just think of grade inflation, nor do they reflect your intellect after this 'long' time). In my opinion your best shoot is to whoa them with your independent research and LOR/LOI (as well as good Masters grade if I read correctly you are attending a programme). Good luck, I do not think it is bad to try to follow your dreams - if you would not try you woud have lost already.

I graduated in December of 2009 with a BS in Agriculture, Agri-Business, from UGA. After working for almost a year in management I'd like to return back to school in order to obtain an MPA or MPP. Unfortunately I graduated with poor academic marks so I will definitely be taking the GRE. I'd like to make the Fall 2011 admissions deadline. How can I best prepare for the GRE in such a short amount of time, less than 2 months? What type of score should I be aiming for to get into a competitive program? I have a strong resume. I've done plenty of research and I've identified about 12 programs that are definitely "dream" schools but I'm going to be ballsy and apply to all 12. I did not see any score requirements but with my low, LOW GPA I need an edge. Help me please!

According to ETS (following scores for the year 2002-2003!) scores mark (approximately) the 75th percentile for doctoral applicants in Public Administration:

Verbal: 560

Quantitative: 610

Note that scores have gotten more competitive in all fields in the intervening 8 years.

I would think if you can score more than 50 points higher on both tests (i.e., above 610-V and 660-Q) that that would give you as much edge as the GRE is likely to give you. If you're applying to top-10 universities, I'd move your target scores yet another 50 points, i.e., 660-V and 710-Q.

I graduated in December of 2009 with a BS in Agriculture, Agri-Business, from UGA. After working for almost a year in management I'd like to return back to school in order to obtain an MPA or MPP. Unfortunately I graduated with poor academic marks so I will definitely be taking the GRE. I'd like to make the Fall 2011 admissions deadline. How can I best prepare for the GRE in such a short amount of time, less than 2 months? What type of score should I be aiming for to get into a competitive program? I have a strong resume. I've done plenty of research and I've identified about 12 programs that are definitely "dream" schools but I'm going to be ballsy and apply to all 12. I did not see any score requirements but with my low, LOW GPA I need an edge. Help me please!

This forum is full of tips. I think the best way to study is to pick a prep book that works for you (I chose Princeton Review) and use it to guide your study, but don't rely on it completely. I supplemented the general guidebook with the Princeton's WordSmart and a few websites. You should do practice problems in the books, but don't score the practice tests you take because they tend to be less reliable predictors and can give you false confidence and/or undermine your confidence. Instead, download PowerPrep and, after some time of solid studying and doing the practice sets therein, take one of the practice tests. Use your scores to decide the best course of action for the rest of your study, then take another practice test when you feel ready. As an initial diagnostic, you could also take an official paper test right now by finding a .pdf via Google search; I wouldn't waste a PowerPrep test on a base diagnostic because there are only two and they seem to most accurately predict scores (unfortunately I did worse on my GRE than my PowerPrep tests, but many people here did a little better!). I don't know what scores you'll need, but it will be far more important for you to craft an excellent SOP that emphasizes your research experience, so be sure to not to ignore it in favor of studying.

Edited by sarandipidy

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the same shoes you are currently in a while back. I graduated in December of 2003 with a BS in Agricultural Development from Texas A&M University. My undergraduate grades were terrible, plus I was really involved in a ton of outside activities. However, I took the GMAT/GRE back in 2005, and said to myself, "I got 5 years to get my MBA/MPA/MPP, while my test scores are still good." Plus, I knew that the more work experience I had, the more my grades and GRE/GMAT did not matter...BUT ONLY THE WORK EXPERIENCE. So I ended up working on a few political races and worked in the Federal government for about 4 years. In the end, I had about 5 years of work experience. Also, I ended up taking a few graduate courses outside my work to prove to my future admissions committee (whoever that was going to be) that I was serious about getting my graduate degree.

So I ended up applying and getting into the Syracuse MPA program. I just graduated this past July/August.

So my advice to you (but you don't have to take it) is to study the GRE for about a year. Plus take the exam more than once if you want to improve your scores. (FYI - I took my GMAT twice.) While you study for your exam, you are getting a few more years of work experience, which is always a plus in front of the admissions committee's eyes.

Also, in my opinion, going to graduate school is very serious now a days, since you get into debt unless you get some scholarship $$$. So my advice is to target the schools that you have identified as your dream schools and visit them. While there, talk with the recruitment and admissions officials in how you would improve your possible application vs. previous students' stats, all of who applied for that program. Usually their stats, they put on the graduate school website.

Just wanting to get a graduate degree for the sake of it is not worth the debt, especially if you hate your job. I hated my Federal job for 4 years, but I knew that work experience is work experience, which admissions committee love to see.

Okay thats my 2 cents.

Please free to PM me if you got more questions.

Thanks.