PHD applicants: Where did you apply

Hey Keymash! When did you hear from USC?

I only applied to two programs -- PhD at USC Annenberg and NYU Media, Culture, and Communications. I've already been accepted to USC, but have yet to hear anything from NYU (unless you count one of their profs following me on twitter). Has anyone else applied to the MCC program? If so, any news?

Hey keymash, congratulations on ur USC acceptance!! I've applied to the NYU MCC program as well. The last I heard from the grad coordinator Mary was around mid-Jan and she said accepted applicants will be called, waitlisted will be emailed and the rest will get letters via post.

There is only one acceptance on the results board dated Friday. I hope they make some more calls or emails today...

Thanks for the info! Here's to hoping more calls will be going out after the holiday weekend.

Hey Keymash! When did you hear from USC?

I got an email notification about the Provost fellowship on Feb 10th, but didn't receive the actual acceptance letter (both email and regular mail) until the 18th. Last I heard from a friend within the department (last week) was that they were still discussing candidates. Hope that helps!

Thanks. Keymash. You mean you now received the letter? Is there anyone who got accpeted except you? I am sorry if this bothers you...

Thanks for the info! Here's to hoping more calls will be going out after the holiday weekend.

I got an email notification about the Provost fellowship on Feb 10th, but didn't receive the actual acceptance letter (both email and regular mail) until the 18th. Last I heard from a friend within the department (last week) was that they were still discussing candidates. Hope that helps!

Thanks for posting that link Jcantrone. I checked out the article and some related news, but there is no clear information about what's in store. Would you know if the smjc department is being merged or wat else to expect?

for anyone who's interested, here is a link to a CU newspaper article about the transition in the jour/mass comm dept.. apparently theyre trying to move away from the standard journalism model to keep up w/new technology and changes in news consumption patterns.. it actually seems like a pretty shrewd move. (I think most journalism programs are pretty oudated.)

http://cuindependent...mc-in-question/

and thanks, commtomme! :) I got the call this past thursday telling me of my acceptance and TAship... no formal letter though. campus visit weekend is in mid march.

Thanks. Keymash. You mean you now received the letter? Is there anyone who got accpeted except you? I am sorry if this bothers you...

No prob -- I don't know about anyone else. I assume others have gotten acceptances, but don't personally know anyone else that has applied this year. I actually just opened the physical letter today and that's just for the Provost fellowship, not the actual acceptance. So the actual acceptance letter I only have in email form. It does include info about a visiting weekend for accepted students that will be happening the second week of March, though. Their department is going to start coordinating travel with students at some point next week. Hope that helps!

No prob -- I don't know about anyone else. I assume others have gotten acceptances, but don't personally know anyone else that has applied this year. I actually just opened the physical letter today and that's just for the Provost fellowship, not the actual acceptance. So the actual acceptance letter I only have in email form. It does include info about a visiting weekend for accepted students that will be happening the second week of March, though. Their department is going to start coordinating travel with students at some point next week. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info, and congrats on your acceptance and fellowship!

There are a few of us here who applied to USC, and most of us haven't heard from the department at all. The only contact I've had was to sort out a missing LOR. Hopefully, the visiting weekend being scheduled for mid-March means we'll all be hearing soon, though!

Edited by maximalist

Hi, I'm from Malaysia and have applied to the Communication Studies PhD at McGill and Sociology PhD at Queen's. Anyone else applied to these places? Cheers, all the best to all of you.