PHD applicants: Where did you apply

• 2 weeks later...

My apps are in various programs, but the two Comm departments I applied to for a PhD are USC (who are apparently still taking late applications, according to their admissions news. Ugh, that's worrying to me...) and UNC, and I applied to Minnesota for the MA.

Hi, everyone. New here to the forum. =)

I've applied to phd programs at:

Northwestern

USC

Wisconsin

Johns Hopkins (Health, Behavior, and Society)

Tufts (child development)

my research area is children's media and health

Northwestern

USC

Wisconsin

Ah, another USC applicant! Out of curiosity, who are you looking to work with there?

Ah, another USC applicant! Out of curiosity, who are you looking to work with there?

Hi! I've applied to work with Stacy Smith and Sheila Murphy. =) And you? I love USC (for location and such...but Northwestern and JHU are more relevant to my specific research interests). Good luck with the application process! It's great to find a little community of people in the same process.

Hi! I've applied to work with Stacy Smith and Sheila Murphy. =) And you? I love USC (for location and such...but Northwestern and JHU are more relevant to my specific research interests). Good luck with the application process! It's great to find a little community of people in the same process.

Mostly Josh Kun, as well as Sarah Banet-Weiser. USC is at the top of my list right now, but truthfully, I'll be grateful to get in anywhere, especially considering there's a limited pool of programs/people working on popular music. Thanks, and good luck to you as well! This really is a wonderful place...like you said, it's nice to know we're all in the same boat.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to:

Bowling Green State University

Ohio University

Penn State University

University of Miami

University of Minnesota-TC

University of Texas-Austin

University of Wisconsin-Madison

You spend weeks looking for the right schools and submitting applications, telling yourself after the last application is out that it's finally over. ...then the waiting starts to cut into you, augmented by doubts about the little things you didn't do (e-mailing professors) and the irrational nagging in the back of your head that you mistakenly sent one school the materials for another, etc.

It's quite the nerve-wrecking experience -- just to become sleep-deprived, underpaid workhorses!

I'm a cultural studies/visual culture/communication studies overlap person. I mostly applied to American Studies programs, but I applied to two communication programs, UCSD and UNC. It's funny though because I applied to USC's ASE program, which has a lot of faculty in Annenberg, so its sort of like I'm a communication applicant there by default. I don't think I've seen anyone else yet that's applied to UCSD's Communication program... Anyone? Anyone?

Northwestern

USC

Wisconsin

anyone applied to colorado boulder?

I applied to CO State, but I had heard that UC-Boulder was "transitioning" their program into a new one, or combining it with another department. I've heard inside people talking about how disorganized the entire department at UC-Boulder is right now.

• 3 weeks later...

I've applied to the following creative writing (poetry) Ph.D programs:

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

University of Missouri - Columbia

Ohio University

University of Utah

Florida State

Georgia State

Illinois State

SUNY Albany

University of Kansas (rejected) :(

University of Calgary (rejected) :(

Edited by Summer Qabazard

That's the Journalism and Mass Comm department that is undergoing a bunch of changes, not the Communication Studies Department just for those who were curious. (I applied to the Comm studies dept and was accepted...)

I applied to CO State, but I had heard that UC-Boulder was "transitioning" their program into a new one, or combining it with another department. I've heard inside people talking about how disorganized the entire department at UC-Boulder is right now.

That's the Journalism and Mass Comm department that is undergoing a bunch of changes, not the Communication Studies Department just for those who were curious. (I applied to the Comm studies dept and was accepted...)

So, It's not the Comm Studies dept. that is "transforming." Anyway, could you tell me when you were notified from the Comm Studies, Jcantrone? And, congrats on your admission!

for anyone who's interested, here is a link to a CU newspaper article about the transition in the jour/mass comm dept.. apparently theyre trying to move away from the standard journalism model to keep up w/new technology and changes in news consumption patterns.. it actually seems like a pretty shrewd move. (I think most journalism programs are pretty oudated.)

http://cuindependent.com/2010/08/25/future-of-sjmc-in-question/

and thanks, commtomme! :) I got the call this past thursday telling me of my acceptance and TAship... no formal letter though. campus visit weekend is in mid march.

So, It's not the Comm Studies dept. that is "transforming." Anyway, could you tell me when you were notified from the Comm Studies, Jcantrone? And, congrats on your admission!

I only applied to two programs -- PhD at USC Annenberg and NYU Media, Culture, and Communications. I've already been accepted to USC, but have yet to hear anything from NYU (unless you count one of their profs following me on twitter). Has anyone else applied to the MCC program? If so, any news?

Hey keymash, congratulations on ur USC acceptance!! I've applied to the NYU MCC program as well. The last I heard from the grad coordinator Mary was around mid-Jan and she said accepted applicants will be called, waitlisted will be emailed and the rest will get letters via post.

There is only one acceptance on the results board dated Friday. I hope they make some more calls or emails today...

I only applied to two programs -- PhD at USC Annenberg and NYU Media, Culture, and Communications. I've already been accepted to USC, but have yet to hear anything from NYU (unless you count one of their profs following me on twitter). Has anyone else applied to the MCC program? If so, any news?