Anthropology 2011

a fragrant plant

First off, another round of congratulations to all of you who have heard good news in the past week. Also, I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who are posting "insider information" on a number of programs; it's helping to ease the nerves tremendously knowing that, although many of us are competing for the same positions, we're still willing to help one another out. :)

Right now I'm curious about what you just posted about Duke, rudy-dugoo. Have you heard whether all department decisions will be going out this week (and if they are, any idea what day?! :P) or if this is just restricted to cultural applicants? I know it's been mentioned previously that evo anth will be notifying people toward the end of February, so I'm hoping that all of the decisions go out at once.

Here's to hoping that this week brings some more postives for everyone!

Just bits of rumors I grabbed here and there --- but you know how it is, you glean any little info you can ---

First official rejection from ASU, not too surprising considering I barely spoke with the POIs there and not that upset because they almost certainly couldn't have funded me. Unofficially, I'm pretty sure I was rejected from 3 others, leaving only my top choice still a mystery. I'm concerned me being straight out of undergrad may be a burden on my application. Anyone have advice on what to do for the second round?

Edited by warpspeed

I'm in the 2nd round right now. I applied to 9 programs last year (PhD), and I was rejected by all 9. I was, however, accepted to a med anthro master's program and a neuroscience program; however, I decided to try again.

For this application cycle, I contacted a number of professors at different schools about four months prior to applying. This helped a lot because it gave me an idea as to which schools I may have an actual chance with. Also, I made sure to cast my net widely this admissions cycle -- i.e., I applied to phd programs (anthropology), public health programs (mph), and divinity programs (mdiv, with the intent on then studying political / liberation and practical theology). I really worked on rewriting my personal statement. If the emails I sent to the professors received a favorable response, then I made sure to incorporate some part of that email into my personal statement.

And, so far, it's worked. I was accepted to Emory (mdiv, full funding), Brown (mph, w/ scholarship), Columbia (mph, w/scholarship), and Oxford (mphil anthropology, waiting on funding). I hope to get accepted to UNM (phd anthropology) and Boston U (mdiv). I also applied to WashU (phd anthropology), and I hope to get accepted, but I know it is more desirable to get into.

Also, it depends what you want to do w/ your degree. Whatever direction I take, I will eventually attend medical school. I wish to use both an academic and medical degree to help ameliorate the suffering of the disenfranchised and poor in New Mexico.

So like I said, if for some reason you don't get accepted anywhere for graduate school, sit down and reevaluate what you want to do and what you can do to get there next year! Please feel free to PM me with any questions!!

All the best,

NM

Hi - I'm new here, but I've been lurking around for the past couple of days. Anyone know what's going on with Irvine? I saw that someone got in several days ago, but just one person. Has anyone else heard from them? Anyone have any info on their acceptance/rejection timeline?

Thanks. Good luck to all.

Hi my precious lovely supportive friends (dlb89 and distant wizard in particular)

I was out smoking and drinking with my best friend and now I'm back lurking in my emails and this amazing forum. I'd die if you were not out there. Fingers crossed I'd get in ANYWHERE. I wish there would be at least one who were admitted by both Columbia and Princeton. I wish I wouldn't be No. 7 at Yale or NYU too. Even if I'd end up No. 7, they took up at least 7, (LOL)

Please tell me if there might be anyone out there with offers from Princeton or Columbia who may want to decline their offer?

To those who're waiting for Columbia's call: they've made all the decisions. 6 admits and 2 waitlists. I don't know if bio/evo/physical are included or what. Yet, I got the impression either they have been notified or they're being notified very soon. Also for those applying next year to Columbia. They're apparently going to take up more admits with better fundings,

persiandoc,

I am sorry to hear this, BUT you are at the top of both waiting lists. There is no way that everyone will accept their admissions offer, so spots will free up for sure. I would be very surprised if you weren't offered admission into these programs by mid-March early April. Plus, there are some schools that you still haven't heard from, and we all know NYU is going to be a definite acceptance for you :-).

Good luck friend!

Hi anthroapp11,

Did you POI notify your rejection straightforwardly? I was actually contacted by the department chair who was also identified by me as one of my advisors.

Hi persiondoc,

Whatever it is-- it's a good thing. But it certainly sounds like an interview to me! Was this sent by a potential advisor at Columbia? I got a similar message from one potential advisor, after I had already interviewed multiple times with the school. It ended up being a really informal Skype chat. The professor basically just wanted an update on my current work, and seemed to be double checking that I was really into the program. It was obvious he was going to enter the faculty meeting pulling for my admission (unfortunately he sent me an apologetic update a day later saying it didn't go his- or my- way).

Best of luck, and rest easy.

anthroapp

I'm applying right out of undergrad to bio anth programs, and I seem to have done okay with acceptances. (I'm in three places - waiting to hear from a few more!) Obviously, I'm not sure exactly what helped me get in, but here's some advice that numerous undergrad advisors and research advisors told me that I used in my applications.

1. Grad programs are looking for people who are capable of doing independent research. If you have research experience, I've been told that it really helps to emphasize it in your SOP, and to connect that research to the project you're hoping to work on. It also helps to emphasize independent roles you had while doing research, whether it was designing your own experiment or organizing other students.

2. Make your SOP as focused as possible. When you're talking about research interests, make it specific, frame it in the context of current theories/debates in the field, and use details. A lot of people talk really broadly in this portion of their application, and I've been told that a lot of schools are looking for something very specific. It also helps to frame your SOP to the particular school you're looking at; I mentioned particular resources at each school that I thought would make it a great fit for the research I wanted to do and talked about specific people I thought that I could work well with. You're arguing to a committee not just that you want to go to grad school, but that you want to go to grad school there - out of all the places you could go to study, say, modern human variation, why is University X the best fit?

Obviously, there are people here with a lot more experience than me, but maybe this will help as a jumping off point!

Yes, I was notified directly by my POI, who I had been in contact with for quite some time. I haven't heard anything from the Department Chair, the secretary, etc. although perhaps they're also sending some sort of official letter.

Smoking/drinking with your friends is probably the best way to handle this stress! I'll be rooting that your #7 becomes #6 very soon.

Hi anthroapp11,

Did you POI notify your rejection straightforwardly? I was actually contacted by the department chair who was also identified by me as one of my advisors.

if this number magic occurs for the first time in my life, you'll be the one with whom I'd be drinking/smoking even at the time of happiness!

Yes, I was notified directly by my POI, who I had been in contact with for quite some time. I haven't heard anything from the Department Chair, the secretary, etc. although perhaps they're also sending some sort of official letter.

Smoking/drinking with your friends is probably the best way to handle this stress! I'll be rooting that your #7 becomes #6 very soon.

Hi my precious lovely supportive friends (dlb89 and distant wizard in particular)

I was out smoking and drinking with my best friend and now I'm back lurking in my emails and this amazing forum. I'd die if you were not out there. Fingers crossed I'd get in ANYWHERE. I wish there would be at least one who were admitted by both Columbia and Princeton. I wish I wouldn't be No. 7 at Yale or NYU too. Even if I'd end up No. 7, they took up at least 7, (LOL)

Please tell me if there might be anyone out there with offers from Princeton or Columbia who may want to decline their offer?

To those who're waiting for Columbia's call: they've made all the decisions. 6 admits and 2 waitlists. I don't know if bio/evo/physical are included or what. Yet, I got the impression either they have been notified or they're being notified very soon. Also for those applying next year to Columbia. They're apparently going to take up more admits with better fundings,

:) We're all rooting for you! If it comes down to it, we'll find the accepted Princeton/Columbia applicants and persuade them to decline their offers. LOL! But seriously persiandoc, you'll get in. I am hoping for Columbia for you because their program is fantastic. Did they mention anything about funding if you do get in?

Edited by dlb89

welcome to the feast of sufferers,

I missed my application to BU for petty reasons. They're amazing. I have no idea when they'd start their notifications but their deadline was sort of late comparing other tormenting schools. I keep my fingers crossed for you!

Hi everyone,

I’m a longtime lurker, first time poster. Rumor has it BU was suppose to send out decisions today. Anyone hear anything?

actually we didn't delve into the funding issues and their financial discourse recalled me of "les miserables". I wouldn't care about their funding package at all if it's in NYC. Well, if you succeed persuading Columbia/Princeton admits to decline their offers, I'd get in Columbia and you'd end up at NYU. So what should we do in the weekends of metropolitan area? "Shall we dance?" LOL!

:) We're all rooting for you! If it comes down to it, we'll find the accepted Princeton/Columbia applicants and persuade them to decline their offers. LOL! But seriously persiandoc, you'll get in. I am hoping for Columbia for you because their program is fantastic. Did they mention anything about funding if you do get in?

Hey,

I just saw a rejection from BU in the results page. I wholeheartedly hope it's not you!

Looking forward to celebrating your acceptance to BU, keep us updated plz

Hi everyone,

I’m a longtime lurker, first time poster. Rumor has it BU was suppose to send out decisions today. Anyone hear anything?

Hey,

I just saw a rejection from BU in the results page. I wholeheartedly hope it's not you!

Looking forward to celebrating your acceptance to BU, keep us updated plz

Thanks Persiandoc,

I’ve been reading for awhile so I’ve shared in your suffering a bit. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you!

That wasn’t me that posted on results page.

There is still hope.

Maybe it's a good sign we haven't heard anything?

I'd love to think so but I'm pretty sure both of the rejections posted inquired about their status so I'm not sure if we can make anything out of not hearing back yet. I'm nervous! I just wish I knew how many applicants there are, etc.!

I'd love to think so but I'm pretty sure both of the rejections posted inquired about their status so I'm not sure if we can make anything out of not hearing back yet. I'm nervous! I just wish I knew how many applicants there are, etc.!

Ahhhhh!

Me too! There hasn't been a whole lot posted about BU from those with inside connections. I wish I knew more.

It doesn't look like we are going to hear back today.

Ahhhhh!

Me too! There hasn't been a whole lot posted about BU from those with inside connections. I wish I knew more.

It doesn't look like we are going to hear back today.

I called last week and the guy said they didn't have decisions yet, but that if I didn't hear back by the21st that I should call him back. I got home too late tonight to try but we should definitely hear this week. Anyway, we know they've decided.

guys i need some help (and reassurance). Ive been wait listed at northwestern after 2 interviews and have been told that the faculty is continuing to consider my application and are hoping I will be admitted at the end. What do you think? What are my chances? I dont want to disappoint myself too much but I also dont want to be unrealistically hopeful :( Im not expecting any of the other places i applied to get back to me.

guys i need some help (and reassurance). Ive been wait listed at northwestern after 2 interviews and have been told that the faculty is continuing to consider my application and are hoping I will be admitted at the end. What do you think? What are my chances? I dont want to disappoint myself too much but I also dont want to be unrealistically hopeful :( Im not expecting any of the other places i applied to get back to me.

Hang in there verbatim! I know how you feel- I'm still waiting to hear back from two schools and I think that I have hope for only one of them (the UW, whose funding isn't so great, so If I'm ever so lucky to get in, I may not be able to pay for it). But focus on the positive- you have been wait listed, and are continuing to get good feedback from the department. It could be worse... like outright rejection (that happened to me!). Do you know exactly how you stand on the wait list? Have you asked about people getting off the wait list in previous years? Keeping talking to the department, and don't lose hope! I've had several friends get in off the wait list to top schools like UChicago and Yale. So it happens! Wishing you the best