Competitive enough for SIPA?

emoleys

Another profile evaluation for all you forum-readers. Many thanks for taking the time to look over this.

GPA: 3.2 in Ethnic and Gender Studies at a top 20 public university

GRE: Verbal - 580, Quant - 710, Analytical - 4.5

Work experience - Lots of work done with refugees on a volunteer basis within the U.S. (1.5 years), some work abroad with Doctors without Borders (3 months) and experience working as a translator in the airline industry (1.5 years)

Also have taken Micro and Macro Economics courses and gotten As in both.

Are my GRE scores my downfall? I know that this profile is not really as amazing as all the other ones I've read on this forum, which has contributed to my anxiety. I'm sure that my recommenders will support me with strong letters and my SOP is in good shape.

Another profile evaluation for all you forum-readers. Many thanks for taking the time to look over this.

GPA: 3.2 in Ethnic and Gender Studies at a top 20 public university

GRE: Verbal - 580, Quant - 710, Analytical - 4.5

Work experience - Lots of work done with refugees on a volunteer basis within the U.S. (1.5 years), some work abroad with Doctors without Borders (3 months) and experience working as a translator in the airline industry (1.5 years)

Also have taken Micro and Macro Economics courses and gotten As in both.

Are my GRE scores my downfall? I know that this profile is not really as amazing as all the other ones I've read on this forum, which has contributed to my anxiety. I'm sure that my recommenders will support me with strong letters and my SOP is in good shape.

I'm not sure about your profile. Your work experience seems pretty good, but the academic stuff is actually a bit weaker than most applicants.... most of whom will also have good work experience. It would seem to me that you can certainly apply and see what happens, but realistically it'd be best to work another few years and try doing better on the GRE if SIPA is where you want to go.

I'd maybe suggest retaking the GRE as well - try and break 600 in verbal and get a slightly higher AWA? In terms of your undergrad GPA, did you gradually progress and get better? I think it's more important to do well in your final year and if you had a few low scores early on I'm sure admin committees will understand that :)

I'd maybe suggest retaking the GRE as well - try and break 600 in verbal and get a slightly higher AWA? In terms of your undergrad GPA, did you gradually progress and get better? I think it's more important to do well in your final year and if you had a few low scores early on I'm sure admin committees will understand that :)

I did do really poorly the first two years. I do try to address this in my SOP. I was at a 2.7 or so and worked hard my last two years, got lots As, and brought it up to a 3.2. I hope that does help.

The GRE has been a struggle, I don't know why. I have studied hard and taken it 3 times. I just can't seem to pull up my score.

I'm not sure about your profile. Your work experience seems pretty good, but the academic stuff is actually a bit weaker than most applicants.... most of whom will also have good work experience. It would seem to me that you can certainly apply and see what happens, but realistically it'd be best to work another few years and try doing better on the GRE if SIPA is where you want to go.

My GPA is also worrying me as well. I hope the fact that there is an upward trend in my grades makes me more appealing to adcoms. I've retaken the GRE to no avail. I cannot seem to get my score up to where it should be to make a more competitive applicant. Nonetheless, I'll submit the application and see what happens.

It may or may not be competitive enough depending on why and what you want to study at SIPA. Even within MIA degree, there are a bunch of concentrations that are quite distinct and you should definitely, i mean definitely, give solid answers to these questions in your SOP. A good SOP might make up any weaknesses and make your profile much more competitive. Carefully go through relevant posts in admissions blog, and in case you are not aware, we have now 72 hours to go for the deadline.

It may or may not be competitive enough depending on why and what you want to study at SIPA. Even within MIA degree, there are a bunch of concentrations that are quite distinct and you should definitely, i mean definitely, give solid answers to these questions in your SOP. A good SOP might make up any weaknesses and make your profile much more competitive. Carefully go through relevant posts in admissions blog, and in case you are not aware, we have now 72 hours to go for the deadline.

Yes, I'm pulling for the Human Rights concentration and have done my best to address my interest in this area within the SOP. I did look over the blog more than a few times. It's been a tremendous guide. I have finished everything with my application, but am just going over it again and again to make sure it looks good. I'm planning to submit it either tomorrow or Tuesday with crossed fingers as I click that submit button!

Yes, I'm pulling for the Human Rights concentration and have done my best to address my interest in this area within the SOP. I did look over the blog more than a few times. It's been a tremendous guide. I have finished everything with my application, but am just going over it again and again to make sure it looks good. I'm planning to submit it either tomorrow or Tuesday with crossed fingers as I click that submit button!

I think stats wise, while you're no shoo-in, you're fine (the fact that you got As in both micro and macro while majoring in a less quantitative subject show promise/drive). It'll boil down to how strong your SOP and LORs are. As with any application, just be sure to comment on how you're a fit for the school and how the curriculum (both core and human rights) suit you. Also don't skimp out on the quant CV.

I got into SIPA last year (and deferred for a year, so I'll be entering with your class) straight out of college with a 3.2 GPA, though I think I benefited a huge amount from my GRE scores and the fact that I went to Columbia for undergrad. In my application, I made sure to emphasize that I was aptly prepared despite my "weaknesses" (i.e. 4 years of relevant internships despite having no full-time experience, and high grades in relevant classes despite a not-so-stellar cumulative GPA).

I think stats wise, while you're no shoo-in, you're fine (the fact that you got As in both micro and macro while majoring in a less quantitative subject show promise/drive). It'll boil down to how strong your SOP and LORs are. As with any application, just be sure to comment on how you're a fit for the school and how the curriculum (both core and human rights) suit you. Also don't skimp out on the quant CV.

I got into SIPA last year (and deferred for a year, so I'll be entering with your class) straight out of college with a 3.2 GPA, though I think I benefited a huge amount from my GRE scores and the fact that I went to Columbia for undergrad. In my application, I made sure to emphasize that I was aptly prepared despite my "weaknesses" (i.e. 4 years of relevant internships despite having no full-time experience, and high grades in relevant classes despite a not-so-stellar cumulative GPA).

I kept your comments in mind while I went over my personal statement again. I have submitted my application and hope all goes well. One plus, though, that I have found out is that on the most recent retaking of the GRE, I received an Analytical Writing score of 5. I'm glad that some of my studying has paid off.

I kept your comments in mind while I went over my personal statement again. I have submitted my application and hope all goes well. One plus, though, that I have found out is that on the most recent retaking of the GRE, I received an Analytical Writing score of 5. I'm glad that some of my studying has paid off.

Congrats on the AWA bum, and good luck :)

• 1 month later...

Anybody who thinks "the numbers" can get you into (or eliminate you from) a program is flat out WRONG. My numbers:

Program Applied To MPA, MPP

Schools Applied To: American, Berkeley, Columbia, CMU and UW-Madison

Schools Admitted To: American, UW, Columbia

Schools Waitlisted At: none so far

Schools Rejected From: none so far

Still Waiting: CMU and Berkeley

Undergraduate institution: Small (<3k undergrad + grad) Engineering School

Undergraduate GPA: 3.0

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.1

Undergraduate Major: Chemical Engineering

Undergraduate Research: 3 years as research assistant NASA electronic sensor array project, 1 year as project leader.

Graduate GPA: 3.0 (1 graduate course as an undergrad)

GRE Quantitative Score: 750

GRE Verbal Score: 570

GRE AW Score: 5.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 4

Years of Work Experience: 4 (3 in engineering and business mgmt, 1 in public affairs)

My GPA is the min GPA to even be considered to most programs. Based on the data provided by the institutions my GRE is around average for most accepted students, so is my amount of profession experience.

4 programs I applied to were ranked in the top 10 for the environmental specialty and all were top 25 MPP programs. I’ve been accepted to 3 and am waiting to hear back from the other 2. I’ll share the culmination of advice I received from professors and professions in the field.

I chose schools that were a good fit. SIPA has a 1 year program that focuses on the science and UW looks for a strong analytical background. My background is well aligned with those programs. Most schools will tell you what they are looking for and if you have it, and can highlight it, they will respond to that. This transitions well to my next point. DO NOT write the same essay for each program. Find out all you can about the program and what they are looking for and highlight the relevant part(s) of your background. The more you learn about the program the more you will know if it is a good fit for you. If it is you will inevitably write more passionately and that will come across in you SOP. Two more pieces of advice:

- Choose recommenders that you worked closely with NOT that you think have job titles that will be impressive

- Have a wide range of people take a look at anything you produce that will be looked at the school but never too many people

Hope this helps!

Anybody who thinks "the numbers" can get you into (or eliminate you from) a program is flat out WRONG. My numbers:

Program Applied To MPA, MPP

Schools Applied To: American, Berkeley, Columbia, CMU and UW-Madison

Schools Admitted To: American, UW, Columbia

Schools Waitlisted At: none so far

Schools Rejected From: none so far

Still Waiting: CMU and Berkeley

Undergraduate institution: Small (<3k undergrad + grad) Engineering School

Undergraduate GPA: 3.0

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.1

Undergraduate Major: Chemical Engineering

Undergraduate Research: 3 years as research assistant NASA electronic sensor array project, 1 year as project leader.

Graduate GPA: 3.0 (1 graduate course as an undergrad)

GRE Quantitative Score: 750

GRE Verbal Score: 570

GRE AW Score: 5.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 4

Years of Work Experience: 4 (3 in engineering and business mgmt, 1 in public affairs)

My GPA is the min GPA to even be considered to most programs. Based on the data provided by the institutions my GRE is around average for most accepted students, so is my amount of profession experience.

4 programs I applied to were ranked in the top 10 for the environmental specialty and all were top 25 MPP programs. I’ve been accepted to 3 and am waiting to hear back from the other 2. I’ll share the culmination of advice I received from professors and professions in the field.

I chose schools that were a good fit. SIPA has a 1 year program that focuses on the science and UW looks for a strong analytical background. My background is well aligned with those programs. Most schools will tell you what they are looking for and if you have it, and can highlight it, they will respond to that. This transitions well to my next point. DO NOT write the same essay for each program. Find out all you can about the program and what they are looking for and highlight the relevant part(s) of your background. The more you learn about the program the more you will know if it is a good fit for you. If it is you will inevitably write more passionately and that will come across in you SOP. Two more pieces of advice:

- Choose recommenders that you worked closely with NOT that you think have job titles that will be impressive

- Have a wide range of people take a look at anything you produce that will be looked at the school but never too many people

Hope this helps!

We all definitely agree / are aware that admissions committees judge an applicant's merits holistically, rather than based on a numbers-based rubric.

I do think, though that you're being a bit contradictory in trying to make your point:

"Anybody who thinks "the numbers" can get you into (or eliminate you from) a program is flat out WRONG. My numbers:"

"My GPA is the min GPA to even be considered to most programs"

The whole point I think you're trying to make is that there is no cutoff GPA, that is, that there is no "min GPA to be considered to most programs" in the first place, and I think your track record is telling of that. Congrats on your admissions, and I hope there's more to come! :)