2011 Applications

NadaJ

Girlwholived,

I wouldn't worry too much. I received my acceptance to UIC in mid March to the advanced standing program, however I know other people that are still waiting. I do think that concentrations are a factor in the process. I was also accepted to the mental health concentration and it is my understanding that less people apply to this concentration. I know someone currently attending Jane Addams that did not receive their acceptance until May last year. Also, I have declined the offer from UIC for another program. Hopefully that will free a spot for someone. Good luck! Don't worry too much, your stats sound really good! I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Edited by M30s8

I'm still waiting on a response from University of Illinois-Chicago. One of my friends got a phone call from the director of admission yesterday (April 15) offering her a spot in the advanced standing program. I applied for the same program and I had not yet heard anything. I called to ask for the status of my application and I was told it's "still under review." I'm a little concerned, honestly. I turned my application in before my friend (I turned mine in at the deadline while she got permission to turn hers in a couple of weeks later), my GPA is higher than hers (my 3.5 vs. her 2.9), I had glowing recommendation letters, and I thought my personal essay questions were well-written. I just have a bad feeling about this. The only explanations I can think of are: 1) They're still behind on going through the applications (they told me at the end of January when they received my application that the admissions process can take up to 12 weeks); 2) We applied to different concentrations (I'm Children and Families, she's Mental Health) so perhaps the applications are sorted by concentrations? I'm just tired of worrying. I'd like to know either way so I can finalize my plans for after graduation.

:(

Try not to worry! It's feasible that they could've evaluated the Mental Health applications before Children and Families. UIC is slow and bogged down; they don't have enough staff. They wouldn't even let me come pop in for a small visit or meeting with admissions this January/February. I had to withdraw my application because I accepted another school's offer. It was going to take forever to hear back from them.

I understand where the worry is coming from, though. I was also watching people receive their decisions before me, and I couldn't help but think that it meant bad news. It was a happy ending after all!

I'm in my last quarter at CSUSB (BA in Communication Studies). Although I only applied to UCLA and USC for their MSW programs, I wanted to wish you good luck!!! :)

Thank you for the good luck! I was accepted today! Now I just need to decide where to go. Congratulations on UCLA! Just curious, since you attend CSUSB, any reason you didn't apply there for the MSW program?

Looks like a few of you guys are Fullerton-bound...me too, me too (maybe) !! Just got my acceptance Saturday!! Still waiting to hear back from a couple schools....Has anyone heard from long beach or dominguez hills yet? ?

I received a letter (dated on April 13th) from CSUDH regarding my acceptance. CSUDH wants me to decide by the April 29th, but I haven't heard back from any of the other schools yet. I really want to wait and see if I have been admitted to any of the other schools first, but I do not think I have enough time to wait it out. Is anyone going planning to attend CSUDH for the fall? For anyone that's reading this, any suggestions/advice is very much appreciated! Thank you.

Edited by cdinh007

I received a letter (dated on April 13th) from CSUDH regarding my acceptance. CSUDH wants me to decide by the April 29th, but I haven't heard back from any of the other schools yet. I really want to wait and see if I have been admitted to any of the other schools first, but I do not think I have enough time to wait it out. Is anyone going planning to attend CSUDH for the fall? For anyone that's reading this, any suggestions/advice is very much appreciated! Thank you.

I don't have anything to do with CSUDH but I'm in the same situation with needing to notify schools with my intent to enroll and I still haven't heard from all the schools I applied to. I called one of the schools and since I didn't need to send a deposit or anything to save my spot, they said to just send in my decision saying yes I accept your offer, and if I hear back from a different school and want to go there, just call them asap and let them know I won't be attending. It's better to be safe than sorry. If you wait and deny their acceptance and wait for other schools, you run the risk of not being accepted into those other ones and then you have nowhere to go at all. I hope everything works out!

I don't have anything to do with CSUDH but I'm in the same situation with needing to notify schools with my intent to enroll and I still haven't heard from all the schools I applied to. I called one of the schools and since I didn't need to send a deposit or anything to save my spot, they said to just send in my decision saying yes I accept your offer, and if I hear back from a different school and want to go there, just call them asap and let them know I won't be attending. It's better to be safe than sorry. If you wait and deny their acceptance and wait for other schools, you run the risk of not being accepted into those other ones and then you have nowhere to go at all. I hope everything works out!

Thanks! I called the admission office and they also told me the same thing so I will be submitting my decision letter.

I also was just accepted to UCLA - yesterday! I got an email directly from Lance Fooks with the official admission letter as a PDF attachment. Very happy! I hope those still waiting also hear this week....good luck!

I found out earlier that I was accepted to UCLA!!! Lance emailed me directly and stated that he will begin my paperwork on Monday. I am SOOOOO excited, but will be sad to leave my job of 9 years at a Native American boarding school. :( I am waiting to hear from USC but I will likely stick with UCLA. I am super interested in USC's elective course, Media in Social Work: Documentary Filmmaking, but I know I can do all that on my own. I'm a Communication Studies undergrad and have taken a couple of TV/Video Production classes and am super inspired to make documentaries from the standpoint of an LCSW. Anyhow, I wish you all the best of luck! This board has been the greatest support for me, outside of my close friends and family.

Was accepted to NYU and Maryland! NYU is really my top choice but they offered $8,000 in financial aid, which would make the tuition 26,000 for the first year. Maryland is 20,000 a year but I haven't heard back about an award yet.

Anyone who's decided on NYU found a way to negotiate their financial aid package, or just settled on taking out the loans?

Still waiting to hear from Boston U.

The wait is driving me crazy! I applied to the MSW program at CSUDH (CYF concentration) since they have a 4-year part time program in the evenings and it's near my job. I called today and heard a message that said to expect to wait at least 2 months from the time you applied to hear back. I applied close to the deadline of March 4. **Crossing fingers!** Good luck everyone and congrats to those who have made it so far :)

Congrats on getting accepted to CSUDH! I hope to hear the same news. Do you remember when you submitted your application?

Congrats on getting accepted to CSUDH! I hope to hear the same news. Do you remember when you submitted your application?

Thank you! Unfortunately, I cannot recall the date I submitted my application but I am sure sometime in February. If you received an acceptance letter, are you planning to attend CSUDH? Good luck!

Edited by cdinh007

I just got my acceptance letter from CSUDH today! I applied to the 4-year, part-time program with a CYF concentration. The letter is dated April 20 and asks for a reply by May 6 to return the commitment letter, which I will put in tomorrow's mail. It took about 8 weeks to hear back, if that helps anyone. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

I turned NYU down last year because of the cost but talk to an admissions adviser when I got in. You can write a letter of appeal to the financial aid office asking for more money. At the time, the officer I talked to was a little wishy-washy on how it would turn out if I did pursue an appeal with financial aid. Hope this helps!

Was accepted to NYU and Maryland! NYU is really my top choice but they offered $8,000 in financial aid, which would make the tuition 26,000 for the first year. Maryland is 20,000 a year but I haven't heard back about an award yet.

Anyone who's decided on NYU found a way to negotiate their financial aid package, or just settled on taking out the loans?

Still waiting to hear from Boston U.

I just got my acceptance letter from CSUDH today! I applied to the 4-year, part-time program with a CYF concentration. The letter is dated April 20 and asks for a reply by May 6 to return the commitment letter, which I will put in tomorrow's mail. It took about 8 weeks to hear back, if that helps anyone. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Congratulation! Does that mean you'll be attending CSUDH in the fall? I sent in my letter of commitment two days ago, but I applied to the 2-year (full time program) with a CYF concentration as well.

Edited by cdinh007

Congratulation! Does that mean you'll be attending CSUDH in the fall? I sent in my letter of commitment two days ago, but I applied to the 2-year (full time program) with a CYF concentration as well.

Yes, I will also start in the fall. :) I don't know if you have seen yet or not, but there are a couple facebook pages for the program: "CSUDH MSW Students" and "California State University Dominguez Hills, MSW Program." The first one hasn't had much recent activity, and the second seems to have announcements and whatnot.

Has anyone heard back from Hunter yet? Can they seriously make me wait forever for a decision???

I interviewed with Hunter this past weekend and they said that our interview group should hear within 2-3 weeks, at least by mid-May. It sounds like they're pretty backed up on reviewing applications, though.

Edited by 2011 MSW Hopeful

Thank you for the time period, Jenners. I was starting to lose hope as I submitted my application 6 weeks ago.

Did anyone apply to Fordham? If so, how long after you submitted your application did you receive an admissions response???

Also, does anyone know if there's a specific date that schools absolutely need to let us know admissions decisions by?

Yes, I will also start in the fall. :) I don't know if you have seen yet or not, but there are a couple facebook pages for the program: "CSUDH MSW Students" and "California State University Dominguez Hills, MSW Program." The first one hasn't had much recent activity, and the second seems to have announcements and whatnot.

If you applied to FAFSA, have you received your financial aid awards yet? Did you get enough aid to cover tuition?

If you applied to FAFSA, have you received your financial aid awards yet? Did you get enough aid to cover tuition?

I have yet to be accepted... however, I do know that your FA will cover all of your tuition. CSU's are not expensive... you will have money leftover... How long did it take you to receive your acceptance???

I actually hadn't looked until you asked, but they are offering nearly 4x what tuition is supposed to be for the year.