Cognitive Psych 2011

cogscipixie

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cognitive programs, huzzah! I've applied for Ph.D. programs at the following schools:

UCal @ Berkeley

Brandeis

MIT

UPenn

Penn State

UDelaware

Drexel

Temple

Rutgers - New Brunswick

Princeton

Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (neuroscience)

Johns Hopkins University

Columbia

So far I've got interviews with Drexel and UDelaware, 3 faculty members total (2 at Drexel). No rejections, but obviously they're coming. Has anyone applied to Rutgers and heard anything? From looking through this thread I've given up hope on MIT, UPenn, and Princeton.

(Hi LJK! Guess who! tongue.gif)

I also heard back from Indiana's cognitive science (not psych) program. They want me to do a phone/skype interview and are also flying me down to campus for a three day visit with other prospective students in mid Feb. I hope the lack of TA/RA positions is just in the psych dept.! Their cog sci program looks pretty good, but I'd only go if I got full funding...

Good luck! I declined IU's cog psych program offer two years ago. They're an outstanding cog sci program, and I'm really fond of Rob Goldstone's work on conceptual learning. Most people that get into their program get 100% funding, so you should be alright.

Good luck! I declined IU's cog psych program offer two years ago. They're an outstanding cog sci program, and I'm really fond of Rob Goldstone's work on conceptual learning. Most people that get into their program get 100% funding, so you should be alright.

Thanks for the encouragement Cogscipixie!

Has anyone heard back from Brown's Cog Sci program yet?

I was emailed that I had a decision waiting for me on my application website from the University of Virginia (in Charlottesville). The verdict? Rejected <_< (but not a top pick so I am not feeling too morose over it).

Has anyone received any new news from the University of Pittsburgh (Cognitive Program) or Temple University (Brain and Cognitive Sciences Program)?

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to the following cognitive science/cognitive psychology PhD programs:

FSU (cognitive psychology)

ASU (cognitive psychology)

UC, Merced (cognitive science)

I haven't heard anything back from anybody yet. Is this not a good sign at this point? All of the schools I applied to did have early to mid-January application deadlines, though. However, I have been in correspondence with a professor at ASU, which I suppose is good.

Edited by lowShoulder

Do you guys know if Yale holds interviews before or after they accept people? From the results last year it seems that they don't send out interview invites, only acceptances/rejections...

After.

Edited by fluttering

Has anyone heard back from UCLA or WUSTL yet?

WUSTL's holding interviews this coming weekend. UCLA sent out acceptances a couple of weeks ago. 10 were accepted to cognitive, 5 were waitlisted.

I found this website way after invitations were sent out. And I'd post results if I was hearing anything back from these schools :'(

I'd blame the psyc program time lines more than the applicants, personally.

Rejection via email/website from UPenn...which I was expecting.

Does anyone else post their results on the survey page? I just feel like Pysch people in general aren't updating here, which is too bad.

To follow up on my previous question (if anyone else was wondering), I just heard from Rutgers - New Brunswick today about the cognitive "open house", which looks like the interview/prospectives day. So there are some schools still sending out interview invites.

I commiserate with all the other UPenn rejection recipients.

Good luck everyone!

To follow up on my previous question (if anyone else was wondering), I just heard from Rutgers - New Brunswick today about the cognitive "open house", which looks like the interview/prospectives day. So there are some schools still sending out interview invites.

I commiserate with all the other UPenn rejection recipients.

Good luck everyone!

I too was rejected from UPenn... glj, how did Rutgers notify you? Is the "open house" truly "open" or does one need an invite? I am anxiously awaiting word (especially from Rutgers) thanks,

Jordan

I too was rejected from UPenn... glj, how did Rutgers notify you? Is the "open house" truly "open" or does one need an invite? I am anxiously awaiting word (especially from Rutgers) thanks,

Jordan

I don't know why they call it an open house, it doesn't sound "open" at all. I received an email yesterday with the open house invitation as a .pdf attachment (no text in the body of the email either, it struck me as strange). Were you applying to Rutgers - New Brunswick?

Here's an excerpt from the attached invitation:

It is my great pleasure to invite you to the 2011 Open House of the Cognitive Area of the Department of Psychology, Rutgers University - New Brunswick. This is a festive event where we host a small group of applicants—the very best and most qualified of those who applied to our program

I don't know if yesterday was the only day they were sending out invitations, perhaps more will come. Good luck!

glj,

Thanks for the good louck wishes. Yes I applied to Rutgers-New Brunswick. I was looking around (again) on their site yesterday when I stumbled upon a note saying that priority is given to those who apply before December 15th...I was upset because I applied December 29th.. As a result I am kicking myself for not being more vigilient in the first place. Anyway, I haven't heard from Rutgers yet; as my screename implies it is my first choice, one I believed was realistic too. Anyway, thanks for the update, I will let you all know what I hear from where.

-Jordan

So today (since I was gone in Chicago for an interview the past 3 days) I saw that I had received my Kent State offer letter and Pitt psych rejection letter (my current research employer) on the same day. I feel like this could be a blessing in disguise since I already somewhat dislike a couple of the faculty. I meshed well with the faculty at Kent State, and particularly my future co-advisors, plus I enjoyed my most recent interview at UIC in terms of the graduate community and some of the research I would be doing. Has anyone felt like maybe a lesser-ranked school who accepts you but actually fits you better might be the more "sane" option than going to a Top 15/20 school where you would despise the community and possibly your potential committee members?

So today (since I was gone in Chicago for an interview the past 3 days) I saw that I had received my Kent State offer letter and Pitt psych rejection letter (my current research employer) on the same day. I feel like this could be a blessing in disguise since I already somewhat dislike a couple of the faculty. I meshed well with the faculty at Kent State, and particularly my future co-advisors, plus I enjoyed my most recent interview at UIC in terms of the graduate community and some of the research I would be doing. Has anyone felt like maybe a lesser-ranked school who accepts you but actually fits you better might be the more "sane" option than going to a Top 15/20 school where you would despise the community and possibly your potential committee members?

I would think so. Rankings do not mean much (unless a school is awfully ranked on multiple levels) since the mentor you work with is so so important. I would rather go to a slightly less prestigious school than a school I might hate being at for 5 years. It sounds like you really didn't like Pitt that much and you received an offer somewhere else so I would be happy with how it worked out :)

Has anyone felt like maybe a lesser-ranked school who accepts you but actually fits you better might be the more "sane" option than going to a Top 15/20 school where you would despise the community and possibly your potential committee members?

Going to a lesser-ranked school is not a big deal, provided the advisors you would work with are well-known. School prestige is not super important, but PI prestige/connections/impact is definitely something you should look for. If your option is "well-known PI at better-ranked school" vs. "unknown PI at unranked school" ... that's not really a tough decision (if all the other factors are relatively equal).

Edited by cogneuroforfun