Structural Engineering FALL 2011 Admits

d3amon

Has ANYONE got into MIT for structural?

It seems that they are rejecting everyone. I got into Berkeley and U of I but was rejected by MIT just like everyone else on the forum.

Are their programs only for MIT alumni? One of my professors said that the fact I got into one school doesn't mean I should be accepted at another, because they may be looking for different applicants. One of my classmates got into Berkeley and was rejected by U of I.

Edited by //AMG

Has ANYONE got into MIT for structural?

It seems that they are rejecting everyone. I got into Berkeley and U of I but was rejected by MIT just like everyone else on the forum.

Are their programs only for MIT alumni? One of my professors said that the fact I got into one school doesn't mean I should be accepted at another, because they may be looking for different applicants. One of my classmates got into Berkeley and was rejected by U of I.

MIT probably gets more applicants than any other CEE program in the country, yet their program is much smaller than a lot of the others. So it isn't surprising to see so many rejects.

Their programs are not only for MIT alumni but they will almost always 100% of the time take one of their undergrads over someone from another program. And I'm sure a lot of their undergrads do decide to continue there.

Your professor is right. Also, there are so many qualified candidates out there that admission can sometimes seem very random.

I think I may have made a decision.

Here are my results from this application process:

CU Boulder - accepted - no funding

Vanderbilt - accepted - TA ($25k/year) + Fellowship ($5k/year)

Lehigh - accepted - Fellowship ($25k/year)

GA Tech - accepted - I'm assuming no funding because I haven't heard anything

Princeton - rejected

Rutgers - ???!?! I'm sure I'll be accepted but I doubt they have any money

I was torn between Boulder and Lehigh. Boulder e-mailed me yesterday and told me that I would not be receiving ANY funding, so that's definitely out of the running. It was my dream school and I feel like I was sort of led on, but I guess their financial situation is just not good right now (the economy, state school, etc.). I'm 95% sure I'm going to Lehigh. I feel like they actually want me to attend--multiple e-mails from several department heads, notifying me in early Feb, and a great research fit. Vanderbilt offered me a banging funding package but the research there isn't that strong (mostly computer modeling/simulation and little experimental work). Additionally, I went to undergrad there, so the question of being "inbred" comes into play. I'd rather have another University on my resume, to be honest. Lehigh has everything I want (minus maybe the location). The town kinda sucks, but it's way better than the sleepy, southern town where I currently reside. However, it is only an hour away from my parents' home and having lived over a 1000 miles away from my hometown for over 6 years, it would be nice to be close to family.

Am I making the right decision?

Edited by phunky

Yes you are! Go to Lehigh. It's only on hour from Philly and two from NYC so you'll still have things to do. Bethlehem has things to do there too. I wish Lehigh ave me funding but they didn't =[. Lehigh's structural facilities are very good and their professors go on to teach at top schools and Lehigh attracts professors from top schools. Trust me, you'll be okay. There's no need to be in a big active city for graduate school.

I've just found out I've received funding at both Penn State and UT-Austin. PSU's funding is slightly more, but both are comparable. Does anyone have any advice on the prestige/program, or which one to attend? UT would be nice because it's close to my family, would be a heck of a lot warmer, and would be easier for my SO to get to. But PSU actively pursued me and I feel like they really want me to attend, whereas UT is so competitive, I'm worried I'll get lost with the number of students. Thanks for any help and congrats everyone!

I've just found out I've received funding at both Penn State and UT-Austin. PSU's funding is slightly more, but both are comparable. Does anyone have any advice on the prestige/program, or which one to attend? UT would be nice because it's close to my family, would be a heck of a lot warmer, and would be easier for my SO to get to. But PSU actively pursued me and I feel like they really want me to attend, whereas UT is so competitive, I'm worried I'll get lost with the number of students. Thanks for any help and congrats everyone!

UT is more prestigious and generally considered better in structural engineering. Apart from prestige, which one is a better fit for you in terms of research, comfort, etc? Did you visit both schools?

revago, thanks for the reassurance! I'm gonna send out my official responses tomorrow! It feels great to be done with this process.

Congrats! I'm about 70% sure that I'm going to end up staying here next year, unless I magically hear from Purdue and get some kind of assistance within the next week. It'd be really nice if schools paid more attention to their own deadlines...

Just got an offer from UIUC now!! Waiting for the letter to arrive now. I guess good things DO happen to those who wait! =]

Awesome news man! What professor gave you the offer?

That's cool. How come it can be either or? You didn't get an offer from one prof?

Well Dr. Fahnestock offered me the funding initially via fellowship and 12.5% RA, but he said he was unsure who would have the project for me: him, Dr. LaFave, or possibly a combination of the two of them. But now that I got the NSF Fellowship I don't know how the funding is going to pan out, they are supposed to get back to me with a revised funding thing for my entire MS/PhD now.

Edited by Joesh

Well Dr. Fahnestock offered me the funding initially via fellowship and 12.5% RA, but he said he was unsure who would have the project for me: him, Dr. LaFave, or possibly a combination of the two of them. But now that I got the NSF Fellowship I don't know how the funding is going to pan out, they are supposed to get back to me with a revised funding thing for my entire MS/PhD now.

Oh, interesting. I'm waiting to hear from the NDSEG Fellowship myself. You were at Recruitment Weekend right? I don't think I met you.

Oh, interesting. I'm waiting to hear from the NDSEG Fellowship myself. You were at Recruitment Weekend right? I don't think I met you.

Good luck with the NDSEG! Yeah I was also at the recruiting weekend haha.

MIT(M-eng) or Berkeley (MS) for Masters in Structural Engineering?

MIT is 19k(I got fellowship), Berkeley is 14k.

Thanks and good luck everyone!

Jay

Could you post your stats? I cannot be objective about your question.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I am working on my applications for next year.

Many of you said to have applied to a MS/PhD program, but I could not find such a program. Can you please give me some further information about it?

Thanks!

Hi guys, I am working on my applications for next year.

Many of you said to have applied to a MS/PhD program, but I could not find such a program. Can you please give me some further information about it?

Thanks!

MS/PhD generally just mean people who applied to the MS program but indicated that they intended to pursue a PhD after obtaining their MS degree. This allows the program to be somewhat condensed by maybe a half year or a year in that you can start doing some of your coursework requirements for your PhD as you are finishing up your Masters.

OK sounds clear to me now. Thanks for the reply.

MS/PhD generally just mean people who applied to the MS program but indicated that they intended to pursue a PhD after obtaining their MS degree. This allows the program to be somewhat condensed by maybe a half year or a year in that you can start doing some of your coursework requirements for your PhD as you are finishing up your Masters.