Structural Engineering FALL 2011 Admits

d3amon

I just received a call from the grad director at Lehigh and I got the fellowship I was nominated for! Anyone hear from Boulder yet? I'm ready to e-mail the grad coordinator and ask when decisions will be out b/c I need to book a flight for visitation day that's 2 weeks away!

Hey everyone, I figured I would stop in and say hi. Senior applying to grad programs in structural engineering here. I applied to masters programs (about 50-50 split between M.Eng and M.S.) because I'm undecided about whether I'd like to pursue research or head into industry. All I know right now is that I'd like to at least obtain a masters degree. As of now only heard back from Lehigh and Illinois and so far it's a 1-1 split. Getting pretty anxious/impatient.

Hey everyone, I figured I would stop in and say hi. Senior applying to grad programs in structural engineering here. I applied to masters programs (about 50-50 split between M.Eng and M.S.) because I'm undecided about whether I'd like to pursue research or head into industry. All I know right now is that I'd like to at least obtain a masters degree. As of now only heard back from Lehigh and Illinois and so far it's a 1-1 split. Getting pretty anxious/impatient.

Congrats on the Lehigh admit! Will you be attending the open house this weekend?

I received an e-mail today from Boulder!!! I got in! Wooohoooo! No word on $$$.

Congrats on the Lehigh admit! Will you be attending the open house this weekend?

I received an e-mail today from Boulder!!! I got in! Wooohoooo! No word on $$.

Congrats! Nah I won't be there because I go there undergrad so I didn't really see the point. I know all the professors already and I've already been to an informal info session.

Congrats! Nah I won't be there because I go there undergrad so I didn't really see the point. I know all the professors already and I've already been to an informal info session.

Well that makes perfect sense! I just sent you a PM as I have a specific question about Lehigh. If you could take 2 minutes and respond, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks:)

Hey all-

I applied for Fall 2011 entry into Structural Engineering PhD programs at:

UIUC (recommended for admission, invited for recruitment weekend feb 24-27)

GaTech (still waiting, invited to Visitation Program mar 11-12)

MIT (still waiting)

Cornell (still waiting)

Lehigh (still waiting, invited to Open House on feb 26)

Drexel (still waiting, contacted via phone and email by a professor who would like me to work with him if I attend Drexel, should hear about admission in another 2 weeks)

Columbia (rejected)

University of Wisconsin-Madison (still waiting)

Hey all-

MIT (still waiting)

Cornell (still waiting)

Drexel (still waiting, contacted via phone and email by a professor who would like me to work with him if I attend Drexel, should hear about admission in another 2 weeks)

Columbia (rejected)

Guess I'll be seeing you at the recruiting weekend for UIUC! What profs are you interviewing with?

Edited by Joesh

Hey all-

MIT (still waiting)

Cornell (still waiting)

Columbia (rejected)

Were you the lone post for the Civil PhD program on the results board so far this year? Best of luck on your other apps... would you mind sharing your profile?

I have applied to Columbia as well.... so far I haven't heard a thing...

Another UCB tranportaiton ad coming out today ! I just dont know when structures comes out . Kinda of stressed as time passes.

BTW, can anyone tell me how to add the program information under each posts ? i mean the grey part.

Edited by omega

Another UCB tranportaiton ad coming out today ! I just dont know when structures comes out . Kinda of stressed as time passes.

BTW, can anyone tell me how to add the program information under each posts ? i mean the grey part.

You mean the signature? As far as I know you just have to do it manually (that's what I did). If you click your name in the upper right corner and then on "My Profile" you'll see the options for editing your signature.

I just wrote to UMN to inquire about the status of my application, and I got a reply that I will hear about it around mid April?!!!! They must be joking with me... They mailed out some decisions already, so it doesn't make any sense...

Edited by d3amon

I just wrote to UMN to inquire about the status of my application, and I got a reply that I will hear about it around mid April?!!!! They must be joking with me... They mailed out some decisions already, so it doesn't make any sense...

Yeah, that sounds like a generic conservative response.

I guess so.. When I asked "why so late", I got this reply:

"This is the date that most students will get a reply about their

application. This is the typical time frame for decisions."

was that from dr. le at UMN??

i got this from him:

"Thank you for your enquiry. We received a large number of applications this year. With limited funding opportunities, the admission is very competitive. I am not in the position to disclose the decision here. The decision letter will reach you soon. "

sounds like a letter of doom is coming, but who knows.

could mean they are waiting to see which "top tier" recruits are going to accept and which ones are going somewhere else. kinda really annoying. i know we're not at the top of the list though, because a few people have been invited to the visitation weekend on march 3. FUCK.

i haven't heard shit from any of the 4 schools i applied to. im OLD (30) and will need to start working on selling my house if i'm gonna go to school. these departments need to get on top of things.

No, I contacted Graduate secretary.

They are probably waiting for professors to receive funding so they can offer assistantship to the certain number of admitted students.

I guess they sent out admission offers only to domestic PhD candidates they wanted the most (and who were granted a fellowship). That is my reasoning...

Btw, does anyone know which professor is in charge for admission at Berkeley? Dr Stojadinovic maybe?

Edited by d3amon

Well, it might be that Cornell desires students in Applied Sciences because their Structural program is focused mainly on Computational Mechanics, etc.

When I informed my US adviser (who graduated at Cornell) about this rejection, he wasn't surprised at all. His comment was smth like "Yeah, I am concerned about Cornell. They had a major faculty turnover recently.."

Even though I would prefer an acceptance from Cornell, I can't say I'm stressed about getting a rejection.

Edited by d3amon

hope UCB offers will come to you guys later !! i called UCB yesterday and they told me that at least some offers for every sub branch have sent out. and they told me the process is rolling till mid Apr. From what i've seen, a few offers from civil systems have been posted here, has anyone heard from structural engineering ? does one person handle all branches or one professor from one branch handle it independently ? :blink::blink:

I didn't hear about any admits in Structures..

I think every branch handles their own admission process, so I guess there must be someone in charge. I know that Dr Stojadinovic had something to do with it last year or a couple of years ago...

Btw, I was told that Structures group usually receives about 350 applications, and they admit only around 50 students each year...

that was tough. I looked over the record of last year. The first ad was given about Feb 23rd, which has passed. I was thinking the next two weeks will be stressful.

Btw, I also applied MIT and stanford; do you know some of their situations ? it seems stanford is always late for ads.

I didn't hear about any admits in Structures..

I think every branch handles their own admission process, so I guess there must be someone in charge. I know that Dr Stojadinovic had something to do with it last year or a couple of years ago...

Btw, I was told that Structures group usually receives about 350 applications, and they admit only around 50 students each year...

ya. so expensive. I saw their first ad in the result section ! dude, thats so wired, they still use postal service in 21 century. i guess they wanna show 125$ mean something. lol :lol:

I really have no idea what are their ad stats. I applied to the MIT too.

As far as Stanford concerns - $125 app fee?!!! They should be first to announce decisions!;)

Edited by omega