Structural Engineering FALL 2011 Admits

d3amon

not yet, but i hope it wont be too long ............ :blink: .. i am also waiting for MIT.

By the way, does UCB reimburse the expenses to the open house for prospective students ? ?

Anyone hear from MIT yet or know when we will for structures?

Waiting for funding decisions is killing me! Anyone get any $$$ from GA Tech or Boulder yet? I realize other departments may have sent out letters, but I haven't received anything for structures yet.

I also haven't heard ANYTHING from Rutgers, yet. They are the lowest ranked school on my list--weird that they are taking so long!

Well it looks like the bulk of the UCB decisions went out last night! I'm still waiting on three other schools, and I feel like I have to hear back soon. I think if I don't hear from a school by April 1st I'm going to send them an email or call the office. I have decisions to make and it's a bit unacceptable to leave only a couple of weeks to make that decision!

Has anyone heard anything about funding for Illinois or Purdue?

Yesssssss! I just heard I will be receiving a funding offer from uiuc within the next few days! From my top 2 POIs!

applied to MS/PHD at the following schools for Structural EngineeringSo far accepted to:

1. UCSD

2. Stanford

3. Berkeley

4. UIUC

5. Northeastern

6. CMU

Rejected from:

1. Columbia

2. Cornell

3. Princeton

4. Caltech

Wait Listed:

1. Purdue

Waiting on:

1. MIT

2. Texas at Austin

3. Texas a&m

nothing on financial aid from all these schools, Berkeley said they can't fund and i'm waiting on stanford's decision supposedly this week,

does anyone know anything about financial aid from stanford?

@Joesh - I guess that means you are going to UIUC?

Anyway I still have to hear back from Stanford...anyone think they'll start rejects now?

Yeah I am pretty sure I am going to UIUC at this point, just waiting to get the official letter in the mail and then sorting everything out from there.

Yeah I am pretty sure I am going to UIUC at this point, just waiting to get the official letter in the mail and then sorting everything out from there.

Got the letter today in my e-mail, I accepted the offer. Heading to UIUC!

What should I do?!?!?!?

So guys, I applied to eight schools for MS/PhD:

UIUC - Accepted, no funding as of yet (emailed the chair since I attended Recruitment Weekend and waiting for an official "No" if there isn't funding for me, crossing fingers)

Georgia Tech - Accepted, no funding

MIT - rejected

Cornell - Rejected

Lehigh - Accepted, no funding

University of Wisconsin at Madison - waiting reply

Columbia - Rejected

Drexel University - accepted, full funding

So as you see, it's down to UIUC (if I miraculously get funding), Drexel, or UW-Madison (if they accept me AND give me funding). The professor at Drexel is waiting for my reply and would like to hear from me soon, but I am definitely interested in UIUC!! It seems as if my good-luck this year was just non-existent. In addition, I applied for two outside fellowships, one I didn't get and the other (NDSEG) I'm still waiting to hear from.

I really want to go to UIUC but I can't if I am not funded. Columbia, Cornell, MIT, Lehigh, and Georgia Tech are basically no-go's now. From my understanding, Drexel is not highly regarded, especially in Structural. Drexel was my safety school and now it looks like I may have to go there. The professor that is giving me an offer there is cool and has interesting research, but I learned at UIUC's Recruitment Weekend that the name of the institution you receive your PhD from is a huge factor in how far you can go (one professor even chuckled when I mentioned I applied to Drexel, and he went there for undergrad!!). The only way I could go to UIUC is if I get the NDSEG fellowship. I called the fellowship people and they said we should hear back in April but since they're waiting on the DoD it could possibly be after April 15th. However, the percentage of students who receive that fellowship is pretty low.

If I cannot go to UIUC then my next idea would be to attend Drexel (or UW-Madison if I am accepted with funding), stay until I get my Masters and then re-apply to the top schools in Structural again for my PhD. If I get a PhD, I'm definitely getting it from one of the top ten schools, hands down.

What do you all think about my problem??? I need suggestions and comments.

Thanks.

Here's my admission stats:

Princeton (MSE): Accepted w/ funding

Johns Hopkins (PhD): Accepted w/ funding

UIUC (MS): Accepted (waiting on funding decision)

Georgia Tech (Phd): Accepted (waiting on funding decision)

MIT (MS): Rejected

Cornell (MS/Phd): Still haven't heard anything

Purdue (MS): Still haven't heard anything

I'll probably be heading to Princeton next semester

Edited by Civil_Engineer

If I cannot go to UIUC then my next idea would be to attend Drexel (or UW-Madison if I am accepted with funding), stay until I get my Masters and then re-apply to the top schools in Structural again for my PhD. If I get a PhD, I'm definitely getting it from one of the top ten schools, hands down.

I think you hit it on the head. Go with a funded Masters, excel, and reapply for PhD programs when you're done.

@Joesh,

does this mean you have some kinda assistantship?

Yep! I got a combined fellowship and 12.5% time RA, for a total stipend of a little over 20k annually, in addition to tuition waiver.