It Has Begun

BadgerHopeful

Had to leave the Classics forum b/c I was rejected by UF, so I guess I'll come play over here for a few weeks. :) Am I the only person on GC to EVER apply to USF history? There aren't any results for the history program, ever.

As a Floridian looking to get the MA, then hopefully apply up for the PhD, Florida is pretty great. I applied last year (rejected everywhere). I'm waiting on UF now. Did you apply just to Classics or to History, too? I checked online and my results are not up yet.

As a Floridian looking to get the MA, then hopefully apply up for the PhD, Florida is pretty great. I applied last year (rejected everywhere). I'm waiting on UF now. Did you apply just to Classics or to History, too? I checked online and my results are not up yet.

I only applied to Classics; the History dept. didn't have an ancient track. The results for UF won't be on the status page. It's wacky, and meant more for high school applicants than graduate applicants, I think, when it comes to posting the actual decision. You'll have to call the dept. directly. I haven't seen anything from UF History on the results page, and my Classics reject is only the 2nd result for that dept. Boo, I wanted to be a Gator in my own right. Hubby and all of his family are multi-generation UF grads, so I'm still a Gator by association. ;) That said, USF is my UG, and I don't want to jinx myself but I would hope I've cultivated good enough relationships with my profs to garner an acceptance. If not...I haven't decided yet. I don't have to get a job, but I need to do something to improve my chances for next year.

Need a laugh anyone...

So, this morning, I had a friend who was freaking out because they couldn't get a hold of me. They started to think the worst (as this anxious wreck typically does) and wondered if I had heard some negative news regarding an application.

Since they had heard me talk of this forum and its merits (and dis-merits), they immediately signed up just to see if they could find out anything that may have upset me and set me into a tail spin laugh.gif

Fortunately they heard from me shortly after this cyber search for my well-being.

It is nice to be loved by someone who would go to such lengths smile.gif

Maybe they will read this post and know how much I appreciate them...

A lot of places that only offer a terminal Masters are not on the results page.

We (USF) actually now have a PhD program that's a couple of years old, but no direct BA admits. I think once the PhD program gets established they'll make it a combined MA/PhD.

We (USF) actually now have a PhD program that's a couple of years old, but no direct BA admits. I think once the PhD program gets established they'll make it a combined MA/PhD.

Just as a matter of interest (possibly a show of hands) what proportion of people both on here and at large do you think have an MA before applying. Not just to USF but U-Anywhere?

Canada Post have stopped delivering my mail (turns out they stopped last week without telling anyone) because they claim that my landlord has not properly cleared snow and ice from the walkway to our building because its not bare down to the concrete. So now I need to go find a metal shovel and/or ice breaker to clear this thing myself just so I don't convince myself that a letter from a PhD program is sitting in a processing centre somewhere with my name on it. Here's hoping all responses are either phone calls or online until I can solve this. Stupid Canada Post.

It's interesting, because it's a really slow week compared to previous years... A few acceptances here and there, but no large flow of rejections.

Thats true, i don't understand that... come one history departments... help us here! : )

tongue.gif

Canada Post have stopped delivering my mail (turns out they stopped last week without telling anyone) because they claim that my landlord has not properly cleared snow and ice from the walkway to our building because its not bare down to the concrete. So now I need to go find a metal shovel and/or ice breaker to clear this thing myself just so I don't convince myself that a letter from a PhD program is sitting in a processing centre somewhere with my name on it. Here's hoping all responses are either phone calls or online until I can solve this. Stupid Canada Post.

*sputters* You mean... you mean the mailmen in the Great White North can't handle snow?! That makes US Postal Service the true heros... "Rain or shine, snow or sleet, we deliver your mail!" :blink:

Y'all, I see that there's been two accepts from Emory. Naturally, I am reading into this that since I was not emailed, I'm rejected.

I feel so dejected. I feel like I'm in for such a long month of so much disappointment. Granted, I'm 0-3 and I applied to many programs, but I just can't help but think that I'm in for an abyssmal spring.

yeah, we're in the same boat here on Emory, and based on the past couple of years they send out their rejections much later than their acceptances. I really wanted Emory, ah well.

No need to be dejected yet though! Still plenty of places to hear back from.