It Has Begun

BadgerHopeful

Hello, gradcafe world! I've been lurking, but I thought I'd join the conversation. I have to say: Coming here and passively commiserating with you all has been quite helpful for my general (in)sanity. I'm a medievalist. Whee.

Here's what I know:

I've been accepted to both UNC-CH and UMinnesota. Funding offers are pending.

I've been rejected by Brown and Columbia. Columbia's rejection was strange. The professor emailed me with some very kind words (for a rejection) telling me that they accepted 6% of their applicants, and they only took 1.5 medievalists (the .5 apparently straddles two periods). I get to relive Columbia's rejection again when the letter comes in the mail in a few weeks.

One of the other students in my cohort has received an offer of admission from UWisconsin. He is in the history program here, so I will assume that he applied to history there. Another close friend of mine has been accepted to Ohio State and rejected from UIllinois. He applied to the history departments in both cases.

If any of you have applied to Hawaii, the admissions committee has not met yet, and they don't usually meet until March. Be patient, they run on island time.

Keep hanging in there, everyone.

Edited by Phishyman22

Re: UBC

March? I thought decisions would be going out a bit earlier than that. Richard Unger suggested as much when I saw him last week at Green College. Hmm, I hate waiting.

Edited by djp2

My POI from Central Michigan wants me to call him sometime to talk about my research interests and his ideas on them. The committee meets next week, so I'd like to get my call in before then. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing, and if so, do you have any advice for me? I'm so nervous about this...

The last time I had an 'interview' with a POI, despite my freaking out, it was actually quite a breeze. The POI just wanted to ask me stuff that the application doesn't reflect, e.g. who I have worked with, have I done enough field work, and what my language training was like, before telling me about the research direction her work was taking. Good luck! :)

The last time I had an 'interview' with a POI, despite my freaking out, it was actually quite a breeze. The POI just wanted to ask me stuff that the application doesn't reflect, e.g. who I have worked with, have I done enough field work, and what my language training was like, before telling me about the research direction her work was taking. Good luck! :)

Thanks. I'm sure it won't be nearly as bad as I'm making it out to be in my mind. I'm just nervous because this is one of my top choices and I've wanted to work with this professor for a long time, read his books, etc. I have some notes prepared just to make sure I won't get caught with my pants down by some question about my research, interests, background, etc. and freeze up. I hope this is a good sign about my prospects of getting in...

Thanks. I'm sure it won't be nearly as bad as I'm making it out to be in my mind. I'm just nervous because this is one of my top choices and I've wanted to work with this professor for a long time, read his books, etc. I have some notes prepared just to make sure I won't get caught with my pants down by some question about my research, interests, background, etc. and freeze up. I hope this is a good sign about my prospects of getting in...

For all it's worth, I did get into the school in question! :)

Hello, gradcafe world! I've been lurking, but I thought I'd join the conversation. I have to say: Coming here and passively commiserating with you all has been quite helpful for my general (in)sanity. I'm a medievalist. Whee.

Here's what I know:

I've been rejected by Brown and Columbia. Columbia's rejection was strange. The professor emailed me with some very kind words (for a rejection) telling me that they accepted 6% of their applicants, and they only took 1.5 medievalists (the .5 apparently straddles two periods). I get to relive Columbia's rejection again when the letter comes in the mail in a few weeks.

One of the other students in my cohort has received an offer of admission from UWisconsin. He is in the history program here, so I will assume that he applied to history there. Another close friend of mine has been accepted to Ohio State and rejected from UIllinois. He applied to the history departments in both cases.

If any of you have applied to Hawaii, the admissions committee has not met yet, and they don't usually meet until March. Be patient, they run on island time.

I'm a medievalist as well. biggrin.gif

Congratulations on the acceptances to UNC-CH and UMinnesota! I'm still waiting on a funded offer (I've gotten into Catholic University, but financial decisions aren't released until March). What other schools are you waiting on?

Just been admitted to Stanford, History of Science! (So yeah, together with the admit from yesterday, it seems that they started sending out acceptances)

Feels ridiculously amazing after 1 actual and 1 potential rejection :)

Congratulations! I'm hoping to hear something next week. Still haven't gotten even one response...

On 2/11/2011 at 8:39 AM, katie1421 said:

I'm a medievalist as well. biggrin.gif

Congratulations on the acceptances to UNC-CH and UMinnesota! I'm still waiting on a funded offer (I've gotten into Catholic University, but financial decisions aren't released until March). What other schools are you waiting on?

Congrats on Catholic University! You must be thrilled!

Harvard, UPenn, Notre Dame, UCLA, Washington University in St. Louis (WashU), and Fordham have yet to get back to me. Based on what posts I've seen on here, I've got a bad feeling about Harvard and UPenn.

Good luck with the rest of your applications!

Here's what I know:

Hi all, I've also been watching for a couple of days. I'm Australian so I sleep through most of the US day and finding this forum has provided a way to catch me up to speed! I've so far received a letter of "serious interest" from NYU and a rejection from Princeton and haven't heard a peep out of my other four.

Don't have much else to add except not really sure how to decode/play NYU's 'letter of interest' - they encouraged me to contact faculty with any questions i might have but I'm not sure what type of questions they're after

Hi all, I've also been watching for a couple of days. I'm Australian so I sleep through most of the US day and finding this forum has provided a way to catch me up to speed! I've so far received a letter of "serious interest" from NYU and a rejection from Princeton and haven't heard a peep out of my other four.

Don't have much else to add except not really sure how to decode/play NYU's 'letter of interest' - they encouraged me to contact faculty with any questions i might have but I'm not sure what type of questions they're after

Australia still exists after all the weather disasters? :) One of my classmates here is convinced that he has no country to go back home to! :D

Australia still exists after all the weather disasters? :) One of my classmates here is convinced that he has no country to go back home to! :D

Yes, but all our crops of fresh fruit and vegetables have been wiped out! Banana prices are up 500% and you can't get spinach anywhere. So I suppose scurvy is a bit of a risk...

Edited by notlikely

Hi Folks,

Congrats to y'all who have been accepted, and commiserations to y'all who are still waiting for one, just one acceptance. That being said, please please please, be respectful that there are some really deserving scholars who are desperate for one admission and are still waiting whilst others have one or more options to chose from. Please do not be mad at this post, I am merely trying to protect friends and colleagues who are feeling raw.

Kind regards,

The Rest

Of course! I hope no-one comes here to boast! Congrats to everyone with an acceptance, and hang in there to everyone else! Think positive, as difficult as it is sometimes!

any of the columbia admits in the international field?

By the looks of it, it is mostly Europeanists who got their results? I might be wrong though.