It Has Begun

BadgerHopeful

Here's a question for those of you who received an acceptance from the graduate school itself, whether it be an official form email or letter by post. Did you then contact your POI at the university or the department acknowledging this in any way? I see some people get notified by individuals they've been in contact with, but if not should you reach out to them and express anything? I was just curious. I don't know what the proper etiquette is and wouldn't want it to seem like I am disinterested. Does one wait until after the department contacts them concerning funding?

I think it's important to maintain contact even after you've been accepted. If you're going into a program where funding is contingent, demonstrating proactive interest might help you as they divvy out their support packages. And even if it's a school where the funding is identical and guaranteed across 5 years, it's still important. There was once a student who was accepted to my program and didn't bother keeping in touch with the profs who admitted said student, and by the time prospective students weekend rolled around they were so put off they they lost interest. This student was sort of encouraged not to come -- and, in the end, didn't.

Also, re: the Michigan stipends: Is it perhaps a typo, and $13,000 instead of $23k? When I was admitted there it was between 13 and 14k -- 23 is higher even that some of the Ivies and similarly endowed private schools; I can't imagine a public university having that kind of money in times like this...

It's okay though. There aren't a lot of things I'm good at, but being poor is one of them.

My favorite post of the day!!

The standard stipend throughout the Yale GSAS is $26,500, but since I have two kids it's probably like a single person getting $13,000. ;)

The standard stipend throughout the Yale GSAS is $26,500, but since I have two kids it's probably like a single person getting $13,000. ;)

Bless my wife's heart, but we (meaning my wife, our two kids, and myself) have learned to live poor as well.

My only fear is that we'll be headed somewhere next year only getting around $15,000, which is like a single person getting $6,000...

Bless my wife's heart, but we (meaning my wife, our two kids, and myself) have learned to live poor as well.

My only fear is that we'll be headed somewhere next year only getting around $15,000, which is like a single person getting $6,000...

With that, you can so qualify for SNAP. One of the best things to come out of FDR's presidency.

Back on the topic of waiting nervously: today seems to be the day that Virginia sends out acceptances. Glancing over the results page, Virginia notified its admits on the third friday of february going back a few years.

Not to make anyone any more nervous, of course.

Also, re: the Michigan stipends: Is it perhaps a typo, and $13,000 instead of $23k? When I was admitted there it was between 13 and 14k -- 23 is higher even that some of the Ivies and similarly endowed private schools; I can't imagine a public university having that kind of money in times like this...

Not a typo on my part....so unless the professor made an error in the acceptance email, it's 23k. He also did say "something like $23k," so I imagine that could mean a few thousand less. I'll be getting a more formal letter in the mail in a week or two, so I'll let you know if it changes.

Not a typo on my part....so unless the professor made an error in the acceptance email, it's 23k. He also did say "something like $23k," so I imagine that could mean a few thousand less. I'll be getting a more formal letter in the mail in a week or two, so I'll let you know if it changes.

I go to UMich and the stipend is around $16K. The department fellowships and the graduate school fellowships are both tied to the TA/RA salary which is $16K, although the university just offered to increase that by 1.5%. In fact, just the other day a professor of mine who was talking about applications this season was complaining about how low the stipend is here because it makes the department less competitive. So, take that as you will.

Wait listed by Chicago. Disappointed, since I've heard great things about the department and had an adviser who strongly encouraged me to apply. He even hand wrote my rec letter, saying it would show my value. Lol

This adviser is AWESOME.

Have you considered where you might live? I'm from CT and am familiar with New Haven. You might want to live outside of New Haven if you have kids? It's not a bad city (not as bad as the say, anyway), but the crime rate is not low and the rent in the better areas will probably be higher than in a smaller town outside the city. You will likely find a better public school system outside New Haven as well.

Thanks all! It has been an insane and happy 48 hours!

Congrats! U of T is a great place!

I briefly considered going there for the science/medicine library alone!

What's your field?

Modern Irish History. I’m thrilled to be working with Professor David Wilson who is one of the top people in the field right now (and one of the main reasons I was really hoping to go to UofT). And the fantastic library system should be a help! The best in Canada.

And to the person who asked how they notified me- the Graduate Chair sent me an email to say that I was in, with funding, and that the official letter was on its way.

Still smiling :)

Yesterday was good. I got into UCLA and U Chicago.

I will soon decline U Chicago, hopefully releasing some funds for the waitlist (if this is how it works at the department). It was not a fully funded offer. Full tuition waiver and health insurance, but the stipend was only offered in Years 3, 4 and 5. sad.gif Sad, as for my field, U Chicago is doubtlessly the Top 3 department in the country and it would be fantastic to work with their faculty.

I will soon decline U Chicago, hopefully releasing some funds for the waitlist (if this is how it works at the department). It was not a fully funded offer. Full tuition waiver and health insurance, but the stipend was only offered in Years 3, 4 and 5. sad.gif Sad, as for my field, U Chicago is doubtlessly the Top 3 department in the country and it would be fantastic to work with their faculty.

You probably made the right choice. I haven't heard anything contrary to the notion that the University of Chicago is just awful place to be a graduate student. For whatever reason they just got the whole department culture thing wrong.

Congrats on UCLA!

Seriously? But I can probably see why they'd wait until Year 3 to give you money to live on... maybe they were worried about people dropping out before getting their MAs? Good move though.

Officially got into the MA program at Nebraska-Lincoln today. Got a very nice, fairly flattering call from the grad chair there (whose work I'm a big fan of). Also got fully funded as well! =) Tuition, partial health care, and $11K stipend for two years with a TAship.

It's not my first choice, and I'm waiting to hear from other places, but I really like the program, and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I really like a lot of the professors in their department, and I can't wait to meet them.

I'm still in a bit of shock. I figured getting funding for an MA would almost be harder than getting into a PhD program! I'm geeked!

Have you considered where you might live? I'm from CT and am familiar with New Haven. You might want to live outside of New Haven if you have kids? It's not a bad city (not as bad as the say, anyway), but the crime rate is not low and the rent in the better areas will probably be higher than in a smaller town outside the city. You will likely find a better public school system outside New Haven as well.

I'm looking now and my PA has promised to help me out with finding the best place possible because I have a young family. Can I pm you and get some thoughts on some of the places I've seen online?

Emailed Western Michigan today to find out when the will send out decisions and I received a response back that I did not get into the program. They will send out official notification next week.

FYI...Cornell advised that the final admissions meeting for their Medieval Studies program is the first week of March. Unfortunately, with the way things are going so far I am not holding out much hope. I guess anything is possible though.

Congrats to everyone that has made it into a program.

You probably made the right choice. I haven't heard anything contrary to the notion that the University of Chicago is just awful place to be a graduate student. For whatever reason they just got the whole department culture thing wrong.

I have heard that it has actually improved quite a bit in the past years. Before there was never ending competition for funding between graduate students, but the department seems to have sorted that out, and everyone I've talked to has said that there nothing bad about the culture, except maybe the rigor of the curriculum, which shouldn't be a bad thing.

What's your field, Bukharan?

I just got mine too...one of my top choices...feeling terribly sad.

I was told that Temple PhDs and consolation MAs are out and I've got nothing, so my top choice is out, too. I even interviewed! Mazel tov to everyone's new acceptances, and for those who have heard otherwise, I'm sorry. Season is just beginning, so hang in there.

hi all,

i've been reading, not contributing, for awhile now and wondered whether anyone else had applied to the joint program in history and women's studies at the university of michigan? the only thing i can find is a results posting back from 2006 or so ... also made an application to their history department and getting nervous about the possibility of news soon?!

Don't know anything about that programme but I just wanted to say that I think filing two applications to the same department or different departments with joint faculty can be a good strategy. Worked for me with U Chicago.

Edited by Bukharan

hi all,

i've been reading, not contributing, for awhile now and wondered whether anyone else had applied to the joint program in history and women's studies at the university of michigan? the only thing i can find is a results posting back from 2006 or so ... also made an application to their history department and getting nervous about the possibility of news soon?!

I thought about it, but the regular History prog looked better for me (my area is at the junction of Gender, Med/Sci and Native histories).

there was a 2010 rejection and a 2008 acceptance in Results lists as well. Keep in mind that relatively few of the total grad student population post here, and fewer use the Results section (I completely overlooked it during my MA app cycle 2 years ago, for instance).

With only one History acceptance thus far, it's too early to worry too much yet.