It Has Begun

BadgerHopeful

I know, right? As much as I would like to know what kind of time frame we're looking at, I am too paranoid that it would lead to "He called? Drop him from the admit list!"

I considered emailing the UW grad secretary to see what their time table looks like, but I don't want to be that annoying person.

So I just checked my application status for Boston College and under the required documents section it said that I need to send in my Final Bachelors Transcript. Does anybody else have this on their Agora Portal? I called the department secretary to ask what that meant and she just told me they had all of my required application materials. I applied for the PhD program, but had given up hope because they usually tell students before now. Have people heard from BC? I am hoping that this means I am accepted, but this might be a consolation MA. It just seems too early for them to have made a decision on that. I would love to go to BC, but I don't want to get too excited yet. Can anybody enlighten me?

So I just checked my application status for Boston College and under the required documents section it said that I need to send in my Final Bachelors Transcript. Does anybody else have this on their Agora Portal? I called the department secretary to ask what that meant and she just told me they had all of my required application materials. I applied for the PhD program, but had given up hope because they usually tell students before now. Have people heard from BC? I am hoping that this means I am accepted, but this might be a consolation MA. It just seems too early for them to have made a decision on that. I would love to go to BC, but I don't want to get too excited yet. Can anybody enlighten me?

Back in January, I flipped out because I thought my transcript wasn't in when I saw that my "Final Bachelor's Transcript" thing. But I was told it was just a "system glitch" and that my official transcript had made it. I'm still waiting on BC. Three people have posted results so far (2 rejections, 1 admit) but I still haven't heard anything. The website does say this: "The committee generally examines Ph.D. applications during the month of February and M.A. applications during the month of March...We try to make offers of admission to the Ph.D. program by early March... For the M.A. program, we make offers in late March, with an acceptance deadline of June 1." So presumably there's still a couple weeks or so for PhD admissions. Maybe no news is good news? Who knows...

Got an email telling me to call the program director at Georgia Tech (History of Tech and Science). Got in, no funding yet. Guy had a kick-ass British accent, though. Not really my first choice, but it is my first Ph.D. acceptance.

Back in January, I flipped out because I thought my transcript wasn't in when I saw that my "Final Bachelor's Transcript" thing. But I was told it was just a "system glitch" and that my official transcript had made it. I'm still waiting on BC. Three people have posted results so far (2 rejections, 1 admit) but I still haven't heard anything. The website does say this: "The committee generally examines Ph.D. applications during the month of February and M.A. applications during the month of March...We try to make offers of admission to the Ph.D. program by early March... For the M.A. program, we make offers in late March, with an acceptance deadline of June 1." So presumably there's still a couple weeks or so for PhD admissions. Maybe no news is good news? Who knows...

This just happened today. I check every couple of days. The portal has always said that they have my officiall transcript. On the results page last year some people saw this and were later accepted into a couple other programs. I was looking around my portal and it has a new tab for financial aid that wasn't there before. Does it have that on yours?I am pretty sure that those rejects on the results page were supposed to be for BU and not BC. BC doesn't reject anyone that early and they do it by post, not email. I am just waiting it out now. We will see what happens.

This just happened today. I check every couple of days. The portal has always said that they have my officiall transcript. On the results page last year some people saw this and were later accepted into a couple other programs. I was looking around my portal and it has a new tab for financial aid that wasn't there before. Does it have that on yours?I am pretty sure that those rejects on the results page were supposed to be for BU and not BC. BC doesn't reject anyone that early and they do it by post, not email. I am just waiting it out now. We will see what happens.

I have a tab for Financial Aid too. I don't remember if it was there previously or not. I wouldn't put too much stock in anything you see on the portal though. I've always had the feeling that Agora is a bit shoddy compared to other school's systems.

Pleiades, congratulations! Ussama Makdisi is an excellent scholar! Having him as a supervisor would be fantastic!

Wow, there are so many Middle Eastern historians on this forum - this is awesome.

Thank you, Bukharan! I got to meet Dr. Makdisi last week (since I live here in Houston and I talked to him in person after he called me) and I was kind of star-struck. I agree; I'm loving all the Middle Eastern historians I'm meeting on these forums!

I see that you got into four fantastic schools - congratulations! I also applied to Chicago and have been waiting to hear back...but I'm pretty sure I didn't make it since they've clearly sent out the first round of acceptances. What's your top choice of school to attend?

How do you know that you made it past the first cut at Indiana?

I just got back from Bloomington on a research trip to the Lilly Library. Knowing I was going to be in town, I emailed someone I'd contacted before in the department and asked if it would be a good idea to schedule a meeting with my POI while I was down there since I was already in the neighborhood. He said it probably wasn't a good idea until after decisions had been made, and that I'd made the first cut but things were still coming along. He said if I got in, they'd pay for me to come down, so, no need to do anything now.

That email was about a week or so ago. I haven't heard anything since.

I just got back from Bloomington on a research trip to the Lilly Library. Knowing I was going to be in town, I emailed someone I'd contacted before in the department and asked if it would be a good idea to schedule a meeting with my POI while I was down there since I was already in the neighborhood. He said it probably wasn't a good idea until after decisions had been made, and that I'd made the first cut but things were still coming along. He said if I got in, they'd pay for me to come down, so, no need to do anything now.

That email was about a week or so ago. I haven't heard anything since.

Hm. Interesting. I still haven't heard back either...though in my case I'm sure it means I'm going to get rejected.

Thank you, Bukharan! I got to meet Dr. Makdisi last week (since I live here in Houston and I talked to him in person after he called me) and I was kind of star-struck. I agree; I'm loving all the Middle Eastern historians I'm meeting on these forums!

I see that you got into four fantastic schools - congratulations! I also applied to Chicago and have been waiting to hear back...but I'm pretty sure I didn't make it since they've clearly sent out the first round of acceptances. What's your top choice of school to attend?

'Culture of Sectarianism' is by far one of my favorite books ever. That's great that you are going to work with Dr. Makdisi! He's truly a gifted scholar.

We're both partially right here.

I am 95% sure that the poster in this thread is referring to another poster ("Matilda_tone") who got admitted into UofT.

There's also an Erasmus gender studies program called "GEMMA" http://www.ceu.hu/programs/ma/master%E2%80%99s-degree-in-women%E2%80%99s-and-gender-studies-gemma.

I am 95% sure that the poster in this thread is referring to another poster ("Matilda_tone") who got admitted into UofT.

I saw myself mentioned and I had to go back and see what caused the confusion. I'm Matilda and I am not a Women's Studies Programme :)

I'm waiting on U of T and York.

::bites nails::

Matilda's acceptance was over a week ago and I've heard nothing. EEK!

Word has it that first round acceptances at UofT did go out last week (for PhDs, but not MAs)- but if past results on this site are anything to go by, it seems that they do second round in mid-March. Fingers crossed!

Well, I got rejected from Clark this morning (they only took a couple of people). Oh well. Could've seen that coming. As consolation, I got a funded MA offer to Ohio. So it evens out, I guess. Almost. That first rejection still stings. Still waiting anxiously for next Thursday, which is when I hear from Central Michigan. The professor I talked to is really optimistic about my chances though, so that's encouraging.

Well, I got rejected from Clark this morning (they only took a couple of people). Oh well. Could've seen that coming. As consolation, I got a funded MA offer to Ohio. So it evens out, I guess. Almost. That first rejection still stings. Still waiting anxiously for next Thursday, which is when I hear from Central Michigan. The professor I talked to is really optimistic about my chances though, so that's encouraging.

congrats on the funded offer. Athens is a really cool town, should you end up going that route. Good luck on the rest of your impending news!

Thanks. I hate to make this post out of place, but how much do you know about the town? What's good about it? I'm essentially going to end up deciding between a funded MA there and a funded Ph.D. at Central Michigan. The good relationship I've had with people at Ohio is the only thing making this difficult for me...plus the programs are oriented slightly differently, both in ways that fit my interests (Ohio towards contemporary history and Central Michigan towards transnational history).

Thanks. I hate to make this post out of place, but how much do you know about the town? What's good about it? I'm essentially going to end up deciding between a funded MA there and a funded Ph.D. at Central Michigan. The good relationship I've had with people at Ohio is the only thing making this difficult for me...plus the programs are oriented slightly differently, both in ways that fit my interests (Ohio towards contemporary history and Central Michigan towards transnational history).

You should think really hard about turning down a fully funded PhD for an MA elsewhere.

Hi all! I have heard from both Boston College and George Washington this week. Both have turned me down for the PhD, though George Washington has accepted me for the masters and Boston College is strongly considering me for theirs. Just wanted to let you all know!

Hi all! I have heard from both Boston College and George Washington this week. Both have turned me down for the PhD, though George Washington has accepted me for the masters and Boston College is strongly considering me for theirs. Just wanted to let you all know!

Saw your post on Results. Looks like I'm not getting into GW!

You should think really hard about turning down a fully funded PhD for an MA elsewhere.

I think it depends. The first time I applied I turned down a fully funded PhD for a partially funded MA. By the time I reapplied, I was a much stronger candidate and was accepted to really great programs. I guess it depends.

For folks waiting on University of Michigan and Washington, both have confirmed to me that they will be sending out notifications next week.

In light of this, what do we make of the several people who have already received acceptance letters? And, to those individuals, has your Wolverine Access changed to reflect your offers?

I may be able to answer this one. Last weekend I received a call from the graduate coordinator for the Americanists with an offer of acceptance. The next day I received an email from my potential advisor congratulating me. Yesterday, my Wolverine account changed. I now have an option to view my decision which states that I've been accepted. Shortly after my Wolverine account changed I received an email from the graduate school. Today, I received my itinerary for the March recruitment visit. I've also received 2 additional emails from faculty members.

I was told that they were only extending 13 offers to Americanists with the hopes of recruiting 7. This number is for strict American history programs. He said they were taking a possible 4 more Americanists in joint programs.

I know that there have been some questions on this forum regarding the high stipend (23,000). I was told that this is because they recently received an endowment in which the faculty voted to shift some funding to incoming grad students.

In light of all this info, I'm not sure if I was just contacted early or not - and I can only speak to the US history aspect.

In light of this, what do we make of the several people who have already received acceptance letters? And, to those individuals, has your Wolverine Access changed to reflect your offers?

I may be able to answer this one. Last weekend I received a call from the graduate coordinator for the Americanists with an offer of acceptance. The next day I received an email from my potential advisor congratulating me. Yesterday, my Wolverine account changed. I now have an option to view my decision which states that I've been accepted. Shortly after my Wolverine account changed I received an email from the graduate school. Today, I received my itinerary for the March recruitment visit. I've also received 2 additional emails from faculty members.

I was told that they were only extending 13 offers to Americanists with the hopes of recruiting 7. This number is for strict American history programs. He said they were taking a possible 4 more Americanists in joint programs.

I know that there have been some questions on this forum regarding the high stipend (23,000). I was told that this is because they recently received an endowment in which the faculty voted to shift some funding to incoming grad students.

In light of all this info, I'm not sure if I was just contacted early or not - and I can only speak to the US history aspect.

Thanks for the extra info; we shall see. . . .

Edited by history_PhD