Admission acceptance (Deposit)

gakgx6

I've not encountered a deposit requirement for graduate studies (only undergraduate). However, balderdash is spot on. If you pay the deposit, it secures your spot for enrollment and is typically applied towards your student account balance (tuition and fees) after you register for classes. If you withdraw your name for admission, you lose the deposit.

Edited by dacey

Thank you all for your answers.

What about financial aid- Can I accept admission+financial aid and then change my mind?

Why would you change your mind? Ostensibly, you want to go to graduate school. Ostensibly, you have applied to programs which you would like to attend. If you are accepted and pay the deposit, why would you turn around and decide not to go, barring some unforeseen, dire family emergency (or ragnarok?) :(

I'd suggst don't pay a deposit or accept any offers until you're ready to. When a school sends you an acceptance letter, it is not as if you must imediately anwser; depts expect you to wait on other offers and would rather you are sure in your decision than back out I think it is pretty universally accepted that you have until April 15th to make a decision (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and if you are unsure ask the school when they need an anwser by. So visit schools, talk to professors, see how much finaid you have and don't make the commitment until it is one you can stick to. Remember that the academic world is small and if you back out of your commitment, word will get around to other schools.