SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

The University of Montana, which is where I'm doing my undergrad. I just got their email on monday so they're only giving me 10 days to think it over.

That's such a short window...think it through!

Side note: I've spent a lot of time in MT and WY and I have to say that I'm jealous you get to live there. I had my application to MT completed, but I never turned it in for one reason or another.

Did anyone here get a phone call from Portland State University? Their website says notices will go out in April due to the CSDCAS delay but I see on the results page that a couple of people were called today (!). I wonder if they're calling out-of-state applicants first? Or maybe those who had their materials in to CSDCAS earlier?

I was notified of my acceptance via a phone call today to PSU. The professor said the letters will go out next week.

I also got into UW CoreSLP program. Has anyone heard about funding for UW?

I have been to Bloomington a couple times (I actually took my GRE there, haha). It's a beautiful campus--nice limestone buildings :) Definitely a small-town college feel, moreso than W. Lafayette, where I go to school. They're easily the most hippie/liberal area of Indiana outside of the Indianapolis area. Lots of vegetarian/vegan restaurants if you are into that sort of thing. Ummm...what else. They have a world-renowned music/performing arts program so they have fabulous operas and musicals and different shows put on through their music school. Brown County State Park is nearby for great camping and hiking and outdoorsy type things. The fall is gorgeous with all the changing leaves! I would recommend living away from undergrads though because they have a reputation for partying lots.

I can't really say much about the program because I don't know much. A handful of people I'm graduating with got in there and a couple of them got funding. It's got a high rank so it can't be too terrible.

Hope this is helpful...I know it's definitely not organized at all.

Thanks so much for your reply! It sounds like a nice place. I'm not really much of a city person, and I can definitely see my self going someplace with a pretty small-town campus. This decision making is going to be really difficult though!

Thanks so much for your reply! It sounds like a nice place. I'm not really much of a city person, and I can definitely see my self going someplace with a pretty small-town campus. This decision making is going to be really difficult though!

WE ARE P-S-U!

The University of Montana, which is where I'm doing my undergrad. I just got their email on monday so they're only giving me 10 days to think it over.

Is UM your top choice? I'm from Missoula originally and was considering their program but didn't apply for various reasons. Are you wanting to stay or go somewhere new?

They are pretty hard to get a hold of-- I called a few days ago to see what was going on and heard we'd be hearing this week.

Overall though, I found their website hard to navigate and had a couple issues trying to get a hold of someone about errors in my application.

Good luck!

I'm applying to CU-Boulder, University of Washington, University of Oregon, and Portland State University. UW is my first choice, even though I have no idea how I'll pay for it even if I do get accepted.

My biggest frustration has been trying to get in touch with CU-Boulder to make sure all of my letters of recommendations made it in. I got email notices for three, but all four of my letter writers say they uploaded theirs. The automated phone message directs all inquiries to the program assistant's email address. Well I emailed two weeks ago and still haven't gotten a response. I understand that this close to deadlines, they must be getting hundreds of emails and I'm trying to be patient, but all the other schools have responded to email questions within one to two days. I'm also having fun waiting on CSDCAS to verify all of my transcripts/calculate my GPA so my application can be mailed out to PSU.

The entire graduate admission process really is a six-month stomachache!

Hello SLP-ers!

I have an interview on Friday for Loyola and I'm getting nervous. I'm sure it varies based on program, but for those of you that have interviewed, what kinds of things do you find that they ask you? I'm bound to be nervous so I want to be as prepared as possible.

Hi Shelley D: When is your interview with Loyola? I'm outside of the USA, and got an email saying that a Skype interview will be scheduled soon. I'd give you advice, but I have no experience with interviews. Good luck with yours!

Edited by crlynchn

Hi Shelley, of the interviews I have been on, they have asked me general questions about myself and questions about how I got into the field and my experiences within the field. I was also asked what topics I was most interested in and why I was interested in their school. If you want, you can private message me and I can give you more information!

Hello SLP-ers!

I have an interview on Friday for Loyola and I'm getting nervous. I'm sure it varies based on program, but for those of you that have interviewed, what kinds of things do you find that they ask you? I'm bound to be nervous so I want to be as prepared as possible.

In my acceptance letter, UM said they would be sending another letter in the coming weeks about funding. So I'm still waiting on that. I'm really conflicted right now!

I was accepted into another graduate program at UofM 2 years ago. Another place I was told to look for funding is on the University of Memphis Student Affairs website. There is a place for assistantships and it will let you know when something becomes available in different areas on campus. Just in case the department has limited funding. I also applied for housing graduate assistantships. Good luck... I am hoping for funding too at other schools:)

I was accepted into another graduate program at UofM 2 years ago. Another place I was told to look for funding is on the University of Memphis Student Affairs website. There is a place for assistantships and it will let you know when something becomes available in different areas on campus. Just in case the department has limited funding. I also applied for housing graduate assistantships. Good luck... I am hoping for funding too at other schools:)

Oh thanks, I wasn't aware of that! I'll look into it!! :rolleyes:

Hey everyone! I hope you're all getting the good news you've been waiting for!

I'm curious, how much do you think is too much to pay for a SLP masters? Even the programs in my home state (yay resident tuition!) are going to run 30-50k when you factor in living expenses. I'm nervous at the possibility of taking out that many loans - what's your opinion?

Edited by frostine

I am hoping for just one school this year, partially because I am not 100% ready to move out of state, partially due to funds, and partially due to really shaky stats. I had a 2.7 undergrad gpa in Animal Behavior, but my postbac work (8 classes) was 3.1. 1160 GRE, 5.0W. Some volunteer experience and solid recs but clearly with stats like that I am far from a shoe-in. East Stroudsburg is a program I like in a location I love, and is most importantly in state. If I don't get in (which is clearly a reasonable scenario) I will be applying to WAY more next year, all over the country. 15-20 if I can manage it. But I will be done school then (and my GPA will be closer to 3.5 then), retaking the GRE, and trying to do more shadowing and volunteering. But my fingers are crossed!

I got nothin'! Is there a link or is the decision supposed to be in the message center?

I received an e-mail that I the decision was on the website. I guess if you don't have an e-mail your decision might not be posted yet.

I received an e-mail that I the decision was on the website. I guess if you don't have an e-mail your decision might not be posted yet.

That's what it's looking like. Thanks!

Is anyone else in the same boat and has not heard from Columbia yet? :/

That's what it's looking like. Thanks!

Is anyone else in the same boat and has not heard from Columbia yet? :/

Don't be discouraged! It seems like a lot of schools notify people a few at a time. There were about 2 weeks between some Adelphi acceptances, for instance. I'm hoping tomorrow is a good day for lots of you!

Out of curiosity, how much is it? lol I didn't apply because I knew it was pricy but I didnt know the actual dollar figure.

Has anyone heard anything about funding from Columbia TC? It's SO expensive!