SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Just wondering, is anyone else planning on going to U Wisconsin Madison's open house? I'm flying out from Philly for it! That's my number one school now! My sister-in-law went to undergrad there and she loved it, so I'm excited to see Madison!

seyeau - I live outside of Philly too! best of luck to you.

Has anybody heard back from UIUC or EIU/NIU/SIUE/SIUC/WIU (in other words, all affordable Illinois schools)? A couple of my classmates got acceptance emails from U of I, but I don't know if those were just their favorite applicants notified first or if they've been emailing out rejections as well.

I'm so jealous of everyone who has gotten responses, I haven't heard from any of my schools yet! :(

To those who have already heard from Vandy, was your letter mailed to your current address or your permanent address?

It went to my current address (aka, my dorm, not my house 2 hours away). Might want to double check with them if you don't hear by the end of the week?

Has anybody heard back from UIUC or EIU/NIU/SIUE/SIUC/WIU (in other words, all affordable Illinois schools)? A couple of my classmates got acceptance emails from U of I, but I don't know if those were just their favorite applicants notified first or if they've been emailing out rejections as well.

I'm so jealous of everyone who has gotten responses, I haven't heard from any of my schools yet! :(

I got an acceptance to UIUC. They notified me via email on Sunday afternoon. I thought it was a weird time.

Good luck!

If anybody has the cahones to ask University of Arizona whether their decisions have been mailed, please post what you hear.

I've already bothered the nice woman in admissions this week so I'm sitting on my hands. :-)

It went to my current address (aka, my dorm, not my house 2 hours away). Might want to double check with them if you don't hear by the end of the week?

Oh dang. I'm at home right now for Spring Break. I may call them although I'd prefer just read a letter in the solitude of my home rather than them tell me the possible bad news. :mellow:

I signed up for March 30th! Did you?? Would be cool to know someone :)

I emailed Emerson and they said they hadn't decided on any merit aid awardees yet.. :) Unless its just their way of saying I didn't get any :) lol :)

I live in California and I'm currently pretty broke (thanks a lot, $700+ spent on apps)... so unless I come upon $400ish or some really cheap plane tickets within the few weeks, I unfortunately can't go. :( I really want to visit though!

I really hope I get a merit award from Emerson! It's not the most expensive school I applied to but some help would definitely be great! And I'm sure they're being straightforward with that answer...from my experience with Emerson, they've been very helpful and my naive self is doubting they'd try to mislead any of us. :)

Has anyone heard anything from UConn yet?

Has anyone NOT heard from Emerson yet? I feel like many people have...on Ecommon, it says "Admission Decision not available at this time" and I have received nothing in the mail. Is this their way of telling me "Thanks, but no thanks" or is there someone out there who knows something or is in my same boat?

Has anyone NOT heard from Emerson yet? I feel like many people have...on Ecommon, it says "Admission Decision not available at this time" and I have received nothing in the mail. Is this their way of telling me "Thanks, but no thanks" or is there someone out there who knows something or is in my same boat?

I haven't heard anything and have the same message on the Admissions Decision link. I do know that Emerson does its decision process on a rolling basis through April, so maybe there is still hope.

From what I know, they send out admission notices by batches so I'm sure you'll know soon :) Don't worry :)

I haven't heard anything and have the same message on the Admissions Decision link. I do know that Emerson does its decision process on a rolling basis through April, so maybe there is still hope.

I haven't heard anything either! Today a new screen about doing an enrollment deposit did pop up but it also says that it isn't working yet so now I'm just very confused.

I haven't heard anything either from Emerson :( But hopefully soon? Good luck and congrats to everyone!!

I haven't heard anything either! Today a new screen about doing an enrollment deposit did pop up but it also says that it isn't working yet so now I'm just very confused.

Has anybody heard back from UIUC or EIU/NIU/SIUE/SIUC/WIU (in other words, all affordable Illinois schools)?

I was accepted but I'm not sure how affordable it will be. Here's what they said in the notice:

Decisions regarding departmental financial support for students during academic year 2011-2012 will be made soon. At the current time funding sources are limited. Funding is available on a competitive basis, and some students are funded during subsequent years even if they do not receive support during their first year.

Then again, I'm out-of-state, so I'm sure if you're in-state it would be more manageable without fin. aid. but still. Maybe they're doing it alphabetically? I was the first one to post an acceptance/rejection from them and my last name starts with an A. I'm sure you'll hear soon either way!

Ditto on Emerson- haven't heard anything and have that message on Ecommon. I guess they're just rolling through the apps.

Hi everyone!

I'm not an SLP-er myself, but my sister is applying for this cycle, and she'd like to know what her chances are. Her stats:

GPA: 2.9

GRE Quant: 480

GRE Verbal: 620

SOP: It's a bit sticky lol! She wrote about our cousin, who has an autism spectrum disorder...well the cousin found out (family gossip...ugh), and contacted the schools telling them that she didn't seek permission and permission wasn't granted. Also cousin had some privacy etc concerns, which my sister didn't address with her. Does anyone know if this is an automatic black mark against her, or if the schools will be open minded?

Also, I live in Redlands CA and went there for undergrad, so I can answer any questions about the town/school, if not the specific program. :) FWIW, everyone I've met/worked with at Truesdale is really awesome :)

Hi everyone!

I'm not an SLP-er myself, but my sister is applying for this cycle, and she'd like to know what her chances are. Her stats:

SOP: It's a bit sticky lol!

I think regardless of the personal statement, the field is really competitive this year and I'm not sure she'll get in anywhere without at least a 3.0. Where did she apply?

Hi everyone!

SOP: It's a bit sticky lol! She wrote about our cousin, who has an autism spectrum disorder...well the cousin found out (family gossip...ugh), and contacted the schools telling them that she didn't seek permission and permission wasn't granted. Also cousin had some privacy etc concerns, which my sister didn't address with her. Does anyone know if this is an automatic black mark against her, or if the schools will be open minded?

Also, I live in Redlands CA and went there for undergrad, so I can answer any questions about the town/school, if not the specific program. :) FWIW, everyone I've met/worked with at Truesdale is really awesome :)

Can't say for sure on the stats but I'm sure the school she applied to has listed the requirements which she should check :)

What I do know is that SLPs are very strict about privacy issues, so that MIGHT (depends on how the admissions people viewed the call/caller) affect her, because during my undergrad, two girls were suspended because they were caught emailing their evaluation report to the email group thingy that one of our teachers happened to be a member on. it was an evaluation report of a client they were both working on and they had specified each other's names on the subject of the email but sent it on the groups so my teacher felt that they broke the whole patient-therapist confidentiality thing. :( They didn't erase the name of the client.

Words of wisdom to everyone!

Most schools require at least a 3.0 GPA to even apply. Where did your sister apply?

Oops sorry I didn't see that Katie already addressed this!

Hi everyone!

Edited by Daniela

Has anyone who heard from MGH know anything about when we'll hear about potential funding? I was in the middle of a grocery store when I got my call, so between the noise and my happy dance, I did not catch everything that was said on the phone.

(haha... Love your story) The same thing happened to me. I was had my shoes and coat on and keys in hand ready to go take a test when I get the call. I was jumping up and down and crying and also only caught parts of what she way saying.I assumed the letter that is coming in the mail might have more information?

CONGRATULATIONS! Definitely one of my favorite schools. I am so excited!

Hello everyone!!

So i'm very nervous because my sister just told me that "oh yeah, someone callled you...it was from a wierd number that said they were admissions or something...they want you to call them back?" When I asked her who it was or what the number was all she can remember was that she thinks it was someone named Patty and that "Institute of Health Professions" rings a bell....and that's all I could get out of her!!! I applied to MGH so I called office of admissions and told them about "Patty" and they said they didn't know that name, but if it was important they will probably call back. soooo frustrating!! does anymore who got into MGH remember a Patty, lol. I still cannot wrap my head around how terrible my sister is at taking messages!!

Hello everyone!!

So i'm very nervous because my sister just told me that "oh yeah, someone callled you...it was from a wierd number that said they were admissions or something...they want you to call them back?" When I asked her who it was or what the number was all she can remember was that she thinks it was someone named Patty and that "Institute of Health Professions" rings a bell....and that's all I could get out of her!!! I applied to MGH so I called office of admissions and told them about "Patty" and they said they didn't know that name, but if it was important they will probably call back. soooo frustrating!! does anymore who got into MGH remember a Patty, lol. I still cannot wrap my head around how terrible my sister is at taking messages!!

617 area code?

I think regardless of the personal statement, the field is really competitive this year and I'm not sure she'll get in anywhere without at least a 3.0. Where did she apply?

She applied to GWU, Syracuse, Ithaca, and SF State. I know those are really good programs and this is a tough year...:(

She applied to GWU, Syracuse, Ithaca, and SF State. I know those are really good programs and this is a tough year...:(

Sorry to say it, but she'd have to have some very remarkable letters and essay.

Numbers aren't everything, but most schools do have minimum cut-offs. Often the application won't make it to the department for review if it doesn't meet the graduate school's requirements. GWU, I know, requires a 3.0. You can take a look at this for some ideas about those requirements: http://hes.asha.org:8080/EdFind/Masters/MastersSearch.aspx