"Campus visit?"

closetgeek

Over the summer, I participated in an REU at one of my safety schools. The research that I did turned it to be pretty good. I worked on it even once classes started, submitted my work to a conference, and my paper actually got accepted! Well my mentor reallllly wants me to go to the school. I don't really want to go at all, but my mentor was great and has helped me out so much during the grad school process that I feel that I should at least consider going. Anyways, he talked to the department head about our research, and he wants me to come to his lab and present my work. He also said he wants to convince me to come to the school! He's actually one of the top researchers in the field I am interested in, but I was at the school for an entire summer and decided that it really wasn't where I wanted to be for 4-6 years. Anyways, I'm really nervous about presenting my work...I don't even really know what is expected of me. The university is about 14 hours away...I really don't want to go up there to present my work because I don't want to go to the school and its kind of a hassle, but I feel like I should, and would feel bad if I didn't. Anyways, do you think its worth it? I feel kind of weird about the situation :

What are your reasons for not wanting to go to this particular school? Just curious because having such an encouraging mentor is so important (I would rank the importance of one's relationship with a mentor above the prestige of a school in most cases--this perspective coming from my own experience of having an abusive mentor at a prestigious school...)

Presenting can only help--even if you decide not to attend this program, you can add the presentation to your CV. It would also be a good experience in terms of having a rehearsal run at presenting among people who already know and support you--it would be even more scary to present before a room full of people you don't know. Also, it doesn't hurt to nurture these relationships and connections--you never know what kinds of doors will open as more people get to know you and your work.

Congrats on such a wonderful opportunity!

Edited by XOwlfan

Have you been to the school while school is in session? Campuses feel completely different during the academic year from how they feel in the summer and that can also carry over into the local area.

GO, b/c unless you have already been accepted by other schools that you KNOW you like better, it is best to treat each school as if they are your #1 choice. This is my second time around and it is easy to get over-confident when applying with good stats. You MAY end up at this school and it may be your best option. It's worth the hassle, the last thing you want is to be in a position regretting that you didn't go.

Edited by Bison

What are your reasons for not wanting to go to this particular school? Just curious because having such an encouraging mentor is so important (I would rank the importance of one's relationship with a mentor above the prestige of a school in most cases--this perspective coming from my own experience of having an abusive mentor at a prestigious school...)

Presenting can only help--even if you decide not to attend this program, you can add the presentation to your CV. It would also be a good experience in terms of having a rehearsal run at presenting among people who already know and support you--it would be even more scary to present before a room full of people you don't know. Also, it doesn't hurt to nurture these relationships and connections--you never know what kinds of doors will open as more people get to know you and your work.

Congrats on such a wonderful opportunity!

Well, I'm not really that interested in my mentor's research. The summer/last semester was great because I was able to work with Machine Learning, but I want to go into machine learning and robotics. His research is in a field of machine learning that I am not really interested in. But he definitely was a very encouraging mentor--which is why I applied to the school. Actually, the more I think about it, it may not be bad going there at all. I guess I just had my mind set out on where I wanted to go (if I got in) that I am not considering the school as much as I should be.

Also, I will be, for the most part, presenting in front of people I don't know lol. The only person I know is my mentor. I don't know the people in the lab at all. Though you are right, it will be a good experience and networking opportunity.

Thank you for your advice!

I think I would go just to add the presentation to my CV, but that's just me.

I never actually thought about adding the presentation to my CV lol. I guess I still have a lot to learn about grad school stuff. I did a presentation over the summer too, but it was required of all the students attending..Does that count for something too?

Have you been to the school while school is in session? Campuses feel completely different during the academic year from how they feel in the summer and that can also carry over into the local area.

No I haven't! That's a good point. This visit will allow me to see what its like during the actual school year.

GO, b/c unless you have already been accepted by other schools that you KNOW you like better, it is best to treat each school as if they are your #1 choice. This is my second time around and it is easy to get over-confident when applying with good stats. You MAY end up at this school and it may be your best option. It's worth the hassle, the last thing you want is to be in a position regretting that you didn't go.

You're right, thanks for the input. I haven't been considering this school as much as I should be :)

Go if you can -- it's the courteous thing to do.

I think I will. But that reminds me.."if you can.." I completely forgot one of the main reasons I asked if this was considered a campus visit -- should I expect them to pay for the trip? :/ Senior year has been expensive, and I don't know if I can actually afford to drive or fly up there...actually I don't think my car would even make it if I attempted to drive (it would either break down or my mom would hide the keys!). Can't believe I forgot this point!

I think I will. But that reminds me.."if you can.." I completely forgot one of the main reasons I asked if this was considered a campus visit -- should I expect them to pay for the trip? :/ Senior year has been expensive, and I don't know if I can actually afford to drive or fly up there...actually I don't think my car would even make it if I attempted to drive (it would either break down or my mom would hide the keys!). Can't believe I forgot this point!

I would contact your mentor and tell him about your travel concerns. He may offer a solution or help you find one.