Increasingly Moody

sputnik

Not that this has any real-world relevance, but the increase in spamming/cutesy chitchat on the results page fills me with disproportionate annoyance. It's like trying to land the plane while the other passengers toss airplane peanuts at your head.

Edited by lechatgris

SERIOUSLY.

Not that this has any real-world relevance, but the increase in spamming/cutesy chitchat on the results page fills me with disproportionate annoyance. It's like trying to land the plane while the other passengers toss airplane peanuts at your head.

I am so irritable these days, it's ridiculous. At my worst, I've had to say to people "look, I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't want to snap at you so we probably shouldn't talk for a few hours."

But it will all be over alarmingly soon.

Youre right, its super annoying. I stopped checking the results page (for the most part)

I kind of like the Star Wars spamming and what-not. I feel like it makes me remember not to take all of this too seriously.

Of course I'm still freaking out more than I should, but it grounds me a little...

Edited by howlinforever

It's funny that you wrote this, because the past few days I've been seriously putting together a plan B ... and truth is, the plan B is ... awesome. It would involve my moving to a country Ive been wanting to live in for a very long time.

I put a lot of work into the Ph.d apps, and at this point I feel like if I'm meant to go I'll be accepted. Or, if I'm meant to take the leap and continue my European adventure, I won't be accepted. Call me naive but it helps alleviate the stress a little bit.

I, too, feel like I've been adopting this philosophy/perspective a lot lately. It usually goes in cycles: I'll think about all the ways I screwed up the presentation of my applications, how my chances are ridiculously slim, and then I'll have a zen moment where I realize I tried to put my best foot forward and if I get accepted - amazing! But if not, life can still present some amazing journeys.

Tell me about it! All the 'Fake University' and 'Jedi Academy' posting seriously got on my nerves. The Jedi Academy post I actually found funny, but totally wrong place to post that stuff. The Forum would be a fine place to joke around, and throw figurative airplane peanuts all day!

I, too, feel like I've been adopting this philosophy/perspective a lot lately. It usually goes in cycles: I'll think about all the ways I screwed up the presentation of my applications, how my chances are ridiculously slim, and then I'll have a zen moment where I realize I tried to put my best foot forward and if I get accepted - amazing! But if not, life can still present some amazing journeys.

This! It's a roller coaster between despair and hope.

Tell me about it! All the 'Fake University' and 'Jedi Academy' posting seriously got on my nerves. The Jedi Academy post I actually found funny, but totally wrong place to post that stuff. The Forum would be a fine place to joke around, and throw figurative airplane peanuts all day!

Yeah, last year there were some admits to F!cking University. I wish the mods would clean that up so you just have data there - although some of the questions and answers are rather useful.

I've heard from one of my schools (not officially, yet!) and it has NOT made it better! If anything, I'm more anxious, knowing that the next few weeks will tell me whether I have a choice to make or not. And NO CONTROL! AAAAAAHHHHH. ;-)

But seriously, I started crying randomly a couple of days ago. I feel bad for my bf who has had to live with the moodiness. Fluxuating between irritation, depression, elation. It's too much.

Thanks to the OP for opening up this space. It feels good to know that other people are having this (all too rational) reaction.

Yes, I really simply can't help refreshing the one remaining online status system (the other five yet to reply are old-school, sadly) and staring hopefully at my e-mail inbox. I have a couple admits so I can relax a little bit... but neither have firm funding attached (yet) so I'm still on pins and needles.

Edited by polarscribe

Thanks to the OP for opening up this space. It feels good to know that other people are having this (all too rational) reaction.

I agree, this has been very therapeutic seeing my exact thoughts (and I mean EXACT) voiced by other posters.

If I didn't have this venue to vent on, I don't know what Id do. When I try to explain my anxiety to friends or family, they just roll their eyes and say, "You know you'll be accepted." and I'm like, actually, NO i don't!! Don't you understand this process?! Since I've explained it to you one million trillion times?! *pulls hair out*

a rollercoaster between zen and despair is exactly what it is.

Uugghh I totally empathize. About the "what are my chances?" and brown nosing and people asking about if I got accepted yet. Everything.

I've been on edge lately, and I'm a very type B person. Today I lost it with my mom. Over pizza.

Granted she was being a harpy, but she's always a harpy; I just usually let it wash over me.

I kind of like the Star Wars spamming and what-not. I feel like it makes me remember not to take all of this too seriously.

Of course I'm still freaking out more than I should, but it grounds me a little...

Completely agree. The funny results make me giggle, and giggling is EXACTLY what I need right now. Lots of it. I threw a complete tantrum last night with my SO because he was teasing me about a movie I wanted to watch. Seriously not a big deal, but resulted in a bit of a meltdown and an hour or two of pouting, silence, and the occasional passive aggressive reply. That is NOT like me.

Hey everyone, I too am feeling desperate, out of control and obsessed about this entire process! This is perhaps the most stressful situation I have ever experienced and I am a single mom so I know stress!!!!! I want this more than I have ever wanted anything in my whole life and I have work so hard to prepare and now it is all out of my hands... UUUUGGGGHHHHH! Most of you guys get the advantage of knowing definitivly where you stand based on your GRE scores but I am and artist and it is all subjective. An MFA is a terminal degree and I really want to teach at the university level and knowing that my acceptance is based almost solely on the preference and subjectivity of the reviewers is intimidating to say the least! I have found myself crying without cause, yelling at my son over essential spilled milk and checking my email to the point of complete obsession. I know that this wil all be ove in a couple of months and I'm just hoping not to have a heart attack!! I'm only 28 should this be so consuming????????? But I did start a new vegan diet and it is helping me feel less bogged down. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Sheesh..I totally feel you all. I haven't been this stressed out & moody since my last ltr breakup. I'm also finding it tough to concentrate on what's left of my degree..

It really nice to see I'm not the only one feeling that way though, and it's good to know that this type of stress is the equivalent of the common cold for grad school applicants

Best of luck to everybody!

I was an anxious wreck before I got my acceptances, and it's STILL really bad! I haven't gotten official funding decisions from either school, so now I'm getting more and more worried about the money side of things. If I'm going to live in California, I'm going to need a good funding package. I refuse to take out more loans!

I've been having a hard time sleeping... grr.

I know exactly how you feel. I have been munching on a bunch on healthy food, drank half a bottle of hershey's chocalate syrup because I keep getting up in the middle of the night. AND to top it all off I have to finish my master's thesis this semester and decisions are coming up in March :( Can't focus, and stressed beyond imagination