"On hold"

Haustier

Ok, so call me crazy, but I was under the impression that there were only 3 possible admission decisions: Accepted, Rejected, Wait-list.

Well I got an email from one school saying that my status has been changed to "On hold".....what does that mean?

I wrote back to ask if it was equivalent to being 'wait listed' and they said it is not equivalent. So does anyone know what it means?

Ok, so call me crazy, but I was under the impression that there were only 3 possible admission decisions: Accepted, Rejected, Wait-list.

Well I got an email from one school saying that my status has been changed to "On hold".....what does that mean?

I wrote back to ask if it was equivalent to being 'wait listed' and they said it is not equivalent. So does anyone know what it means?

Might be awaiting something for your application, re. GRE scores, recommendations, etc.?

I wrote back to ask if it was equivalent to being 'wait listed' and they said it is not equivalent.

So you asked them if it is equivalent to being wait-listed and they answered that it is not but they did not explain what it means?? Strange people... :huh:

Its really bizarre, but they clearly stated I am not on the wait list. Also they said that my application was complete....so I'm not really sure what the hold up is. Based on the Results section, it looks like they sent out interview invitations in Dec and early January. However, there last interview session is in only a week or two. If they are going to reject me I'd rather they just say "You're Rejected" so I can move on.

Its really bizarre, but they clearly stated I am not on the wait list. Also they said that my application was complete....so I'm not really sure what the hold up is. Based on the Results section, it looks like they sent out interview invitations in Dec and early January. However, there last interview session is in only a week or two. If they are going to reject me I'd rather they just say "You're Rejected" so I can move on.

Maybe they have 'rounds'. Maybe 'on hold' means you didn't get in to the program for the first round, but might be asked for the 2nd round. That is all I can think of if they say your application is complete, are holding interviews AND said you are not waitlisted....

• 2 weeks later...

If they have several gathered fields of applicants they may be holding your application to re-evaluate with the second field. That is what is happening with me with Oxford - they have a maximum number of places to award to the first gathered field of applicants, and send out acceptances and rejections on January. If, like me, a person is good enough not to be rejected, but not at the very top therefore not awarded one of the limited places available for that round of applicants, they are held back to be evaluated against the second round of applicants, with rejections/acceptances sent out in March. It's not being waitlisted, since no-one needs to reject an offer before they can make one to me, it is just literally putting me on hold till they have more people to evaluate me against.

But yeah, I would just ask them what exactly it means as it might be different for your uni!

Yeah I got one of these too. Never knew such a category existed. I don't think it's like a wait-list. The e-mail literally said that my application was considered and no conclusion could be reached so they are going to wait till all other applications are reviewed. I guess its sort of a waitlist just to have your application read :-/ Just increases the waiting time!