Classics 2011

DrOrpheus

Thanks for the advice! I'm actually coming from UCSB's MA program, and I can definitely recommend the program to people - the faculty do excellent work and are tireless advisers.

May I ask what your friend means by 'lopsided'?

Oh, nice! So you already know that UCSB is awesome!

I think by "lopsided" he means that they have too many in certain areas and not enough in others. Instead of hiring to cover various areas of interest, they seem to just hire the best of the up and coming. While that sounds pretty cool, he seems to think it makes the department unbalanced. So, it comes down to your area of interest. If they have some good folks in your concentration at Duke, then like I said, you have a touch decision!

The grapevine says that Brown only finished their interviews last week, so it's still very likely that they're still deliberating.

I guess my chances aren't very good since I was not interviewed. I'll keep waiting for some news from anywhere.

Alot of people seem to have only applied to Ivy schools.

Rookies! We can't all apply to Princeton, Stanford, Harvard, and Yale. ;)

I got rejected by UCSB on Valentine's Day, which seems to be their style. I knew I probably wouldn't get in to UCSB because they don't typically accept people with MAs. But then I was accepted to Buffalo with full funding on February 17th and everything was right in the world again!

I was accepted to WASHU, and then rejected by UPENN a week ago.

I'm still waiting on Rutgers, but I'll probably go to SUNY because they've also decided to give me an extra fellowship and they seem to really want me to go there.

I'm shocked that Americans are applying to Canadian and English schools, which don't really offer funding packages. Canadians, I know, compete for a scholarship called a SSHRC, which funds their phd experience. It doesn't come from the university that they applied to, so non Canadians are a bit S-o-L when it comes to total funding. I did my MA in Canada and they let me know in August they were giving me a TAship, which covered half my expenses. In the 2nd year of my MA, they gave me two TAships and a scholarship. Only in Canada do people get more funding for the second year of their MA than their first! English schools are notorious for giving nothing, so why apply?

Been pretty quiet on here recently...does that mean everyone has heard and has made their decisions, or are people still nervously waiting it out like me? ;) I've still only heard from one school, gah!

I'm still waiting to hear from five more schools. I'm also waiting to hear about possible funding from one of the schools that did contact me. I think it is killing me slowly.

Is anyone else really, really struggling with making a decision? What aspects of strength and fit are coming out most important for you?

(For me: how much I "clicked" with the professors I'm likely to be working with, how well the department fits my broad and narrow interests, their resources for epigraphy, papyrology, and archaeology, and how interdisciplinary they are and/or consider themselves to be. Plus the issues of money and living situation. And yet for all of that, I am no closer to making a decision.)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, in a bizarre twist of fate everything has fallen into place quite nicely.

After discussing options with UCLA (I was first in line for alternate funding but nothing guaranteed) and planning on a year of special studies at the U of Alberta next year to improve my Latin and Greek (following the Greek summer program at Berkeley) things completely changed.

Two weeks ago I received a call from the program director but was in a GIS class so it went to voicemail. I phone back and it turns out they're very interested in meeting me, etc, etc, etc, and would I like to come down the following week. Everything paid.

Wow.

I fly down and for three days toured the program, met a lot of great people, dined with profs and grad students, and was extremely impressed by everything I saw. Unfortunately I didn't have time to visit the Getty Villa but everything at the Cotsen was enough to make up my mind. During my visit to UCLA I became quite happy that the other guys all rejected me due to languages. The UCLA crew has given me a lot of options for how and when to get my Greek up to where it should be while being more interested in my field experience, dual degrees in Classics and Anthro, etc, etc.

I came home and on Sunday got my official funding offer and pretty much died from happiness. Full funding with a great stipend! Office space guaranteed, health covered, etc, etc. Needless to say I accepted :)

I'm a bit sad to not be sticking around the currently great grad student community at Alberta and bashing through some Latin and Greek with all my profs who have been super supportive about preparing for "Plan B." Although I could have tried again next year (the other guys I applied to all gave me great feedback) I think I’ve found where I was meant to go....if that makes sense (plus it’s a top 10 if not top 5 program, haha).

I certainly can’t be anything but excited for the fall. It’s going to be an insanely busy summer with two weeks in Greece working on a site publication, 10 weeks in Berkeley, and then jumping into a PhD program at UCLA.

I guess the ultimately moral of the story is to not give up. If you get some rejections, keep on trucking, plan on doing whatever you can to improve your situation and keep reaching for what you want!

Well, in a bizarre twist of fate everything has fallen into place quite nicely.

After discussing options with UCLA (I was first in line for alternate funding but nothing guaranteed) and planning on a year of special studies at the U of Alberta next year to improve my Latin and Greek (following the Greek summer program at Berkeley) things completely changed.

Two weeks ago I received a call from the program director but was in a GIS class so it went to voicemail. I phone back and it turns out they're very interested in meeting me, etc, etc, etc, and would I like to come down the following week. Everything paid.

Wow.

I fly down and for three days toured the program, met a lot of great people, dined with profs and grad students, and was extremely impressed by everything I saw. Unfortunately I didn't have time to visit the Getty Villa but everything at the Cotsen was enough to make up my mind. During my visit to UCLA I became quite happy that the other guys all rejected me due to languages. The UCLA crew has given me a lot of options for how and when to get my Greek up to where it should be while being more interested in my field experience, dual degrees in Classics and Anthro, etc, etc.

I came home and on Sunday got my official funding offer and pretty much died from happiness. Full funding with a great stipend! Office space guaranteed, health covered, etc, etc. Needless to say I accepted :)

I'm a bit sad to not be sticking around the currently great grad student community at Alberta and bashing through some Latin and Greek with all my profs who have been super supportive about preparing for "Plan B." Although I could have tried again next year (the other guys I applied to all gave me great feedback) I think I’ve found where I was meant to go....if that makes sense (plus it’s a top 10 if not top 5 program, haha).

I certainly can’t be anything but excited for the fall. It’s going to be an insanely busy summer with two weeks in Greece working on a site publication, 10 weeks in Berkeley, and then jumping into a PhD program at UCLA.

I guess the ultimately moral of the story is to not give up. If you get some rejections, keep on trucking, plan on doing whatever you can to improve your situation and keep reaching for what you want!

LIKE!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and even newer to studying in America :P

I am thinking of applying for a PhD in 2012 but I feel completely lost because I know basically nothing about American universities and admissions....So I would appreciate it if you could answer some questions, some of which (if not all) might seem stupid...

first of all, I finished my undergraduate at the university of Athens, Greece and I have been accepted for an MSt at Oxford University for 2011. So I will be applying to America during my masters. Now, PhDs in America are generally longer than the ones in the UK/Europe, around 5-6 years...right? But do students go straight to PhD after their BA, or do they have to do an MA like in the UK?

Also, I heard that universities have application fees, but can anyone tell me around how much these fees are?

I was also told that the process is quite long and time consuming...can anyone tell me what it entails? Things like references, written work, personal statement/research interest, CV will be required for my UK applications as well, but do American universities require anything else?

And...last but not least, tuition fees. (Around) how much are they? Are there many scholarships?

Thanks in advance

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and even newer to studying in America :P

I am thinking of applying for a PhD in 2012 but I feel completely lost because I know basically nothing about American universities and admissions....So I would appreciate it if you could answer some questions, some of which (if not all) might seem stupid...

first of all, I finished my undergraduate at the university of Athens, Greece and I have been accepted for an MSt at Oxford University for 2011. So I will be applying to America during my masters. Now, PhDs in America are generally longer than the ones in the UK/Europe, around 5-6 years...right? But do students go straight to PhD after their BA, or do they have to do an MA like in the UK?

Also, I heard that universities have application fees, but can anyone tell me around how much these fees are?

I was also told that the process is quite long and time consuming...can anyone tell me what it entails? Things like references, written work, personal statement/research interest, CV will be required for my UK applications as well, but do American universities require anything else?

And...last but not least, tuition fees. (Around) how much are they? Are there many scholarships?

Thanks in advance

First of all application fees differ from each university but expect around 50-100USD per application. This of course, does not include the cost of sending transcripts, materials, etc that the application will reply.

Also make sure to take the GRE - which will set you back some more money - you'll only be able to take that in London at specific times so check that information early.

PhDs in the states last longer because it usually combines the studies with an MA which you can get on the way. The programmes tend to focus more on teaching/TA'ing (teacher assistant) and doing coursework with your final work being your dissertation/thesis. PhDs in Europe are essentially shorter because you only write.

Tuition will vary but usually if you are accepted into a PhD programme, you will receive some financial support package to help with full/partial tuition and/or living costs. The big schools offer a full tuition waver and some extra funding.

As for the prep time of applications - your writing sample will take the most time and then your personal statement. They will be generally the same but you have to tailor them to each specific programme. As said before, you'll also have to take the GRE exam and some (i don't think many) places will require some financial proof/immigration documents done.

Congrats on your oxford acceptance. I will probably see you there soon since I'm starting in October there as well but doing MPhil Roman HIst. Are you classics, arch, or ancient hist?

Thanks for the information batavi. I am a classicist, will be doing the MSt in Greek and Latin languages and literature.

One last question, are there deadlines like Oxbridge or are we free to apply throughout the year like the rest of the UK unis?

It seems like a very expensive process!

So since I will already have an MA when I will be applying, will I skip some years of my phd if I am accepted? I don't overly mind repeating some years if I have full funding though.

Hm about the transcripts, I do have some officially translated transcripts from my undergrad since I needed them for my MA applications but I doubt I have enough to send to all the unis I will apply to for a PhD. Would they accept simple photocopies?

Edited by Lauridion

Thanks for the information batavi. I am a classicist, will be doing the MSt in Greek and Latin languages and literature.

One last question, are there deadlines like Oxbridge or are we free to apply throughout the year like the rest of the UK unis?

It seems like a very expensive process!

So since I will already have an MA when I will be applying, will I skip some years of my phd if I am accepted? I don't overly mind repeating some years if I have full funding though.

Hm about the transcripts, I do have some officially translated transcripts from my undergrad since I needed them for my MA applications but I doubt I have enough to send to all the unis I will apply to for a PhD. Would they accept simple photocopies?

There are deadlines. For the majority of PhD programmes it is Dec 15th. Or at least it was this past round. It may change by a couple of days. But the latest deadlines are mid Jan - double check these dates later of course..

All transcripts (BA, MA, etc) are subject to the requirements of the programme. Look these up as they differ for each uni and also contradict each other (ex. department website informs that photocopies will do whilst grad school website requires official ones..)

And finally - someone might know this better than me, but i'm pretty sure you will have to repeat years. You will need to meet all their comp exam reqs and course reqs before being approved for the final stage of the programme - thesis writing.

Just my two pennies from my experiences (did undergrad and MA in UK, am now going to do another MA in Toronto) that when I did the GRE in December you can actually now do it in Manchester too. Train wise would probably be quicker to go to London still, but good to keep your options open. The MA at Toronto is normally 2 years, but having done an MA here it has shaved a year off for me. And I have been told that if I was accepted onto the PhD that my MA year at Toronto would count towards the first year of my PhD, shaving another year off. I am sure it must vary from place to place though.

I didn't even realise you had to sit the GRE when I started applying as we don't need to sit them for PhD places in the UK. So learning from my mistakes, I would get a couple of revision books and start early, rather than cramming it all in 2 weeks! Posting off all my transcripts and paper materials for my applications was usually around £7 a go, so it definitely adds up if you're applying to a few places. I was also pretty shocked at how much it cost to sit the GRE. Most US places ask for a minimum of 3 references (compared to the UK, where in my experience I have had to provide 2 references max.) so start sounding people out early too.

I was totally like you and didn't have a clue about how the US system worked. So I emailed every different university posing questions to them that I still had after reading the information on their website, and eventually I understood it a lot better. Definitely one of the most complicated application processes I have gone through, but once you have done one application, a lot of it is just repetitive.

Apart from that, everything Batavi said :)

Just my two pennies from my experiences (did undergrad and MA in UK, am now going to do another MA in Toronto) that when I did the GRE in December you can actually now do it in Manchester too. Train wise would probably be quicker to go to London still, but good to keep your options open. The MA at Toronto is normally 2 years, but having done an MA here it has shaved a year off for me. And I have been told that if I was accepted onto the PhD that my MA year at Toronto would count towards the first year of my PhD, shaving another year off. I am sure it must vary from place to place though.

I didn't even realise you had to sit the GRE when I started applying as we don't need to sit them for PhD places in the UK. So learning from my mistakes, I would get a couple of revision books and start early, rather than cramming it all in 2 weeks! Posting off all my transcripts and paper materials for my applications was usually around £7 a go, so it definitely adds up if you're applying to a few places. I was also pretty shocked at how much it cost to sit the GRE. Most US places ask for a minimum of 3 references (compared to the UK, where in my experience I have had to provide 2 references max.) so start sounding people out early too.

I was totally like you and didn't have a clue about how the US system worked. So I emailed every different university posing questions to them that I still had after reading the information on their website, and eventually I understood it a lot better. Definitely one of the most complicated application processes I have gone through, but once you have done one application, a lot of it is just repetitive.

Apart from that, everything Batavi said :)

God the deadline is one month earlier than Oxbridge! I will start looking soon! I don't even know where i want to apply!!