Classics 2011

DrOrpheus

Congrats to the Florida admit!

Results ARE out for UF...crap. I guess I will have to make a phone call tomorrow after all. Oh well, I knew it was coming before I even submitted the app.

I've been tempted to call up the schools I haven't heard from yet, but is it too early? I was told not to call anyone until March.

I've been tempted to call up the schools I haven't heard from yet, but is it too early? I was told not to call anyone until March.

I thought so too, but when I looked at the email I got from the DGS which confirmed all materials were in, it said "by March", so I guess it's not as early as I thought. I intended to wait but since there is an admit on the results board I figure it couldn't hurt to call. Since the admit got their letter over the weekend I'm going to give a day or so to see if I get one too. My attitude is that if there is a decision from the program posted on the results board, calling the dept. is fair game. :) I hope you get the news you're looking for!

The MA program in Classics.

I know they've sent out all their PhD acceptances, and they've made their decisions about M.A.'s but they have to be processed first and will likely be sent out in the next week or so. Hope that helps!

Ditto what was said before about UBC. PhD acceptances are out, I don't know where they are in terms of considering MAs, but, speaking from experience, it takes a long time for official acceptances to get processed. I got an email from the adcom on Jan 12 telling me I was in, and an email on Jan 31 from the Faculty of Graduate Studies, but still no paper letter and no info on funding.

Has anyone else heard about funding from UBC?

UBC has been known to be a bit flakey with funding decisions, although not as bad as at Alberta (loved my program and teachers...hated the admin :P ).

I should hope that PhD students will get word on funding before the end of term (April) and you're pretty much guaranteed some kind of money (although it may not be a pot of gold). Remember that Canadian Universities are public and are having to do some extreme budget balancing, although BC's government didn't do as much slashing as in Alberta.

MA students are a different matter and the department may really drag their feet on that one. In my case at Alberta, I only found out the last week of August in my first year.

EDIT: Just heard back from a colleague in the MA at UBC. He didn't hear anything until August.

Edited by Rendar

Ditto what was said before about UBC. PhD acceptances are out, I don't know where they are in terms of considering MAs, but, speaking from experience, it takes a long time for official acceptances to get processed. I got an email from the adcom on Jan 12 telling me I was in, and an email on Jan 31 from the Faculty of Graduate Studies, but still no paper letter and no info on funding.

Thanks for the info, all. I guess I'll continue biting my nails and waiting impatiently. unsure.gif

Rejected by Florida, got the letter today. :( I'm not surprised given the app status page going blank about a week ago. That was my only Classics program, so I'm outta here 'til the next go-round. Good luck to you all!

Thanks!

Hello,

Just thought I would write you all as a second-year UGA MA student (Greek and Latin) and reassure you that the Classics Department has done well with its funding in years past. First off, congrats on the early admits. I did not hear back about admission until very late February to early March of 2009. That you've already heard back is awesome! In my year, they offered 7 (the grad school awarded one of those) and this past year they funded 5, I think. Also keep in mind that UGA, as a state school, is almost certainly awaiting funding decisions from the University. Best of luck on your remaining apps.

In any case, UGA has been phenomenal and I would recommend the program to anyone.

UBC has been known to be a bit flakey with funding decisions, although not as bad as at Alberta (loved my program and teachers...hated the admin :P ).

I should hope that PhD students will get word on funding before the end of term (April) and you're pretty much guaranteed some kind of money (although it may not be a pot of gold). Remember that Canadian Universities are public and are having to do some extreme budget balancing, although BC's government didn't do as much slashing as in Alberta.

MA students are a different matter and the department may really drag their feet on that one. In my case at Alberta, I only found out the last week of August in my first year.

EDIT: Just heard back from a colleague in the MA at UBC. He didn't hear anything until August.

Thanks for the info. I've been told by the department that they hope to hear about funding soon, but that they might not know exactly how much they have until after the SSHRC results come out in April. I was told that they expected to give me funding, and it was also implied that TA positions are a possibility, but I've heard nothing concrete. Well, that's how it goes with Canadian universities, I guess.

Boy, I wish I'd been on this forum when applying for my MA. Sharing and getting info really helps my peace of mind. @Gutian, I wouldn't worry just yet. I spoke to the department graduate admin back at the beginning of January and I was told that the PhD acceptances go out really early and that the MA acceptances go out much later. Why that is, I'm not really sure, but that's what I was told. Barring a miraculous offer of full funding from McGill, I'm hoping to attend UBC, so I'm glad to hear from others applying there.

Also, @dynamite, I'm just guessing from the info you had that you've applied there as well. If so, what program?

(And a big yikes at hearing about funding in August, that doesn't sound fun at all!)

Edited by aselfmadewinter

Thanks for the info. I've been told by the department that they hope to hear about funding soon, but that they might not know exactly how much they have until after the SSHRC results come out in April. I was told that they expected to give me funding, and it was also implied that TA positions are a possibility, but I've heard nothing concrete. Well, that's how it goes with Canadian universities, I guess.

Boy, I wish I'd been on this forum when applying for my MA. Sharing and getting info really helps my peace of mind. @Gutian, I wouldn't worry just yet. I spoke to the department graduate admin back at the beginning of January and I was told that the PhD acceptances go out really early and that the MA acceptances go out much later. Why that is, I'm not really sure, but that's what I was told. Barring a miraculous offer of full funding from McGill, I'm hoping to attend UBC, so I'm glad to hear from others applying there.

Also, @dynamite, I'm just guessing from the info you had that you've applied there as well. If so, what program?

(And a big yikes at hearing about funding in August, that doesn't sound fun at all!)

I have yes, to Classics, and received my letter in the mail the other day :) What about you?

I have yes, to Classics, and received my letter in the mail the other day :) What about you?

Religious Studies, which is the same department as Classics at UBC. The reason I applied to UBC is because my research involves alot of 1st century Hellenistic papyrology, so I'm going to be doing alot of interdisciplinary (RelStud/Classics) stuff. I heard back by e-mail from the department on the 12th and got an e-mail from the FoGS on the 31st, but I'm still waiting on my paper letter. I live in Ontario so it could take up to five business days by Canada Post. Should be coming any day now...

Edited by aselfmadewinter

Tangent: I lived in Ottawa for a year, and I learned to hate the Canadian Post. I haven't complained about the USPS since.

That's kind of funy, because I got my official letter from UBC today informing me of acceptance into the PhD program, and lo and behold, it was dated Jan 28. Supposedly, Vancouver to Toronto has a four day delivery standard by Canada Post, but whatever. Let that be a lesson to anyone applying to Canadian schools and waiting for a reply through the postal service.