Classics 2011

DrOrpheus

Oh god, I'm so sorry. That's the application nightmare.

(Consolation prize: Stanford?)

It's not a consolation prize! It's Stanford. I'm still extremely happy, of course. I just wanted to weigh all my options.

I'm going to send an email to Chicago, explain the situation, and ask for consideration for the at least the wait-list.

It doesn't hurt to try, right?

It's not a consolation prize! It's Stanford. I'm still extremely happy, of course. I just wanted to weigh all my options.

I'm going to send an email to Chicago, explain the situation, and ask for consideration for the at least the wait-list.

It doesn't hurt to try, right?

Sorry, that was meant as a joke! Stanford as a "consolation prize" would be a little absurd.

I think that's a completely reasonable course of action.

Does anybody have any info on UF's number of spots or anything like that? I had mentioned earlier about my weird status page but haven't gotten any response as of yet from the DGS. Not that I'd be surprised if rejected, but until I receive a confirmation from him directly I'm going to hang on to the tiniest sliver of hope. :)

Does anybody have any info on UF's number of spots or anything like that? I had mentioned earlier about my weird status page but haven't gotten any response as of yet from the DGS. Not that I'd be surprised if rejected, but until I receive a confirmation from him directly I'm going to hang on to the tiniest sliver of hope. :)

UF typically takes in around 5 new students, but sometimes it ends up being less or a little more depending on how many TAships they have. They have also been accepting a couple of unfunded students. I wouldn't worry about the status page unless you know that you don't meet the minimum requirements to be accepted into the graduate school.

Sorry, that was meant as a joke! Stanford as a "consolation prize" would be a little absurd.

Ah, no, I apologize. That was supposed to be mock indignation, but, in light of such a stressful day, I didn't think twice about tone.

Do let us know how Michigan goes!

Ah, no, I apologize. That was supposed to be mock indignation, but, in light of such a stressful day, I didn't think twice about tone.

Do let us know how Michigan goes!

No worries; it's been stressful over here, too.

I will! I'm kind of curious, though; two people have posted to Results with an acceptance and a waitlist at IPGRH. I know I'm interviewing early, though (the visit weekend is in mid-March, but I can't make it), and my email said they hadn't made any decisions yet. How'd that happen?

UF typically takes in around 5 new students, but sometimes it ends up being less or a little more depending on how many TAships they have. They have also been accepting a couple of unfunded students. I wouldn't worry about the status page unless you know that you don't meet the minimum requirements to be accepted into the graduate school.

Good to know, thanks! I do meet the minimums, my only concern was the fact that they were taking FOREVER to link my transcripts (which were sent in December) to the application I completed just before the deadline in mid-January. Admissions' response was "don't call us, we'll call you if there's a problem". I think I'm going to trust my gut and not pester them yet, since the DGS said they wouldn't be sending out decisions until March. I should hear from my other school (my UG) within the next two weeks.

If I end up getting in to UF but not my UG, I would be OK with taking the position unfunded so long as I could apply for funding after my first year. I have some resources to cover it.

Email. Although, I have to add, that it was for the Ancient History group, so Classics might not be out yet.

Oh well, I suppose I am not getting into Penn (I also applied to the Ph.D. in Ancient History program).

Email. Although, I have to add, that it was for the Ancient History group, so Classics might not be out yet.

I too have received an email (waitlisted) from the Ancient History group. But I have a good friend applying to Classics who has already been contacted as well.

I got my first result in last night and it was a yes from UGA. Waiting for 7 more results...

Not to pry, but did your result say anything about funding? My letter came with no mention of it, and I'm curious whether this means I'm definitely not getting funding or if they just haven't sent out information about it yet.

Nope, nothing. I already contacted them and asked. Lets see...

Not to pry, but did your result say anything about funding? My letter came with no mention of it, and I'm curious whether this means I'm definitely not getting funding or if they just haven't sent out information about it yet.

I too have received an email (waitlisted) from the Ancient History group. But I have a good friend applying to Classics who has already been contacted as well.

Was this good, bad, nor neutral news? I applied for Classics but haven't heard anything.

Out of curiosity, has anyone here heard from or about Princeton and Columbia? At the very least it seems like Princeton should've already notified people, since they interview.

Just noticed that someone posted a Columbia interview on the results page today. I can't give any real information, however, as I didn't apply to Columbia or Princeton. Or Penn for that matter. In fact, the only Classics department I have still outstanding is Harvard, so I won't be of any use til then.

Many congrats to everyone that was accepted to some fantastic programs. There was definitely a lot of heavy competition this year.

I'll be waiting on possible funding at UCLA and I guess, worst case, I go back for open studies for a year or two and get my Latin and Greek up.

Just wondering if anyone in the thread is in archaeology - if I'm tracking things correctly it seems most posters have been language or history paths thus far.