Classics 2011

DrOrpheus

I applied to Stanford as well, and I have yet to hear from them. I'm inclined to agree to the previous poster that this ought to mean accepts are out too, but one never knows.

The wait-list posting is dated Feb. 4th. Does this mean that this is someone overseas where it has already passed midnight?

I applied to Stanford as well, and I have yet to hear from them. I'm inclined to agree to the previous poster that this ought to mean accepts are out too, but one never knows.

The wait-list posting is dated Feb. 4th. Does this mean that this is someone overseas where it has already passed midnight?

I think one never knows as there are four distinct streams in the Classics program and some may require the attention of certain members of faculty vs. others. Nevertheless I would expect that the results will start to come out over the next few days for all fields.

There's even the question of in what order they're notifying people. By program? Alphabetically?

That is, I hope at least..... /gulp

Edited by Rendar

Some other pertinent information:

Berkeley's AMHA is out.

I know from inside sources that Penn got 80 Classics applications, 81 archaeology, and "less" for ancient history. I believe they offer three spots for Classics, three for archaeology, and two for history.

Well I hope you are one of the acceptees! Are you philology or history or arch? Also, do you know whether Penn has sent out responses?

I did get into Stanford, but got rejected from Berkeley. I don't think Penn has sent out their responses yet. I'm under the impression that their deliberations were made within the last 10 days, so I think they might still be working out some details. Again, all hearsay.

Oh, and I'm an ancient historian.

Edited by roarie

I did get into Stanford, but got rejected from Berkeley. I don't think Penn has sent out their responses yet. I'm under the impression that their deliberations were made within the last 10 days, so I think they might still be working out some details. Again, all hearsay.

Oh, and I'm an ancient historian.

Excellent, though bummer about Berkeley if that was your top choice. You should add your Stanford acceptance to the results page.

Who is your person of interest at Stanford?

Excellent, though bummer about Berkeley if that was your top choice. You should add your Stanford acceptance to the results page.

Who is your person of interest at Stanford?

I've been floating on air since I got that acceptance letter. I'm beyond elated that I get to work with Ian Morris.

As for Berkeley, it hurts to get rejected, but luckily it was not my first choice. I'm happy that someone more deserving got it.

[Edit] Ah, found Results page. Will do!

Edited by roarie

I've been floating on air since I got that acceptance letter. I'm beyond elated that I get to work with Ian Morris.

As for Berkeley, it hurts to get rejected, but luckily it was not my first choice. I'm happy that someone more deserving got it.

[Edit] Ah, found Results page. Will do!

Wow! Congratulations!

I guess that means no Stanford for me...at least this year ;) I'll take rejection in stride and contact the people I was talking to in the fall, see what I can do to improve my application, and go from there.

In the meantime I'll hope for UCLA funding and hold out for Penn and Brown results.

Wow! Congratulations!

I guess that means no Stanford for me...at least this year ;) I'll take rejection in stride and contact the people I was talking to in the fall, see what I can do to improve my application, and go from there.

In the meantime I'll hope for UCLA funding and hold out for Penn and Brown results.

Thank you! And don't give up hope! It's not over yet.

With that said, the Results page is frightening. I saw that someone got accepted from UChicago Classics. Does anyone know if Chicago's PAMW sent out anything?

Indeed! I was really hoping to be able to work with Dr. Ober but, who knows, it could just be he doesn't have room for another student. I'd rather get a rejection because of that than get accepted onto an overloaded prof (something several departments at Alberta do FAR too much). Once that official letter comes around I'll start inquiring. I'm guessing my delayed finish time in the MA didn't help - that's what happens when you get comfy in a well paying full time job in a borked economy while you're trying to finish a thesis. Being out of the application game for a while means parts of my SoP were perhaps rusty. Ah well,

I already have Plan B of open studies and language, language, language ready to go for next year in the worst case :)

Unfortunately I have no info on Chicago.

With that said, the Results page is frightening. I saw that someone got accepted from UChicago Classics. Does anyone know if Chicago's PAMW sent out anything?

Sorry to be a buzz kill--I know that there are at least a couple of Chicago hopefuls around here--but I talked to someone yesterday about visiting, and I got the distinct impression that all 3 tracks are out. PAMW is the only possible exception, but like I said, "distinct impression."

Just checked results, and there is someone reporting "accept" from PAMW. I think that more or less clinches it.

Edited by aletheuein

Sorry to be a buzz kill--I know that there are at least a couple of Chicago hopefuls around here--but I talked to someone yesterday about visiting, and I got the distinct impression that all 3 tracks are out. PAMW is the only possible exception, but like I said, "distinct impression."

Just checked results, and there is someone reporting "accept" from PAMW. I think that more or less clinches it.

Thanks. I'll prepare myself for that. If that's true, I think I'm 90% set on where I'll be next year. Scary stuff.

Thanks. I'll prepare myself for that. If that's true, I think I'm 90% set on where I'll be next year. Scary stuff.

Hey, roarie-- I'm sorry to bear bad news, but PAMW's out, too. Congratulations on Stanford, though! (It was my top choice-- Morris! Gleason! Ober!-- and I'm a little heartbroken.)

Unless something truly spectacular happens after the Michigan interview (admit! amazing funding! amazing everything! or similar), I suspect I'll be at Chicago next year. Which is both fantastic and utterly terrifying.

Hey, roarie-- I'm sorry to bear bad news, but PAMW's out, too. Congratulations on Stanford, though! (It was my top choice-- Morris! Gleason! Ober!-- and I'm a little heartbroken.)

Unless something truly spectacular happens after the Michigan interview (admit! amazing funding! amazing everything! or similar), I suspect I'll be at Chicago next year. Which is both fantastic and utterly terrifying.

Just one more question. From what I can glean form the internet whispers, is seems that the Chicago acceptances are not yet "official" and those will come in short time. Is it possible that they preemptively contacted their first choices earlier and are still debating on the rest of the class? I just want to make sure before I mentally move on from Chicago.

I'm sorry about Stanford, but congratulations on Chicago!

I have to admit, a part of me is utterly heart broken about a concrete possibility of being rejected by Chicago, but a part of me is somewhat relieved.

Edited by roarie

Just one more question. From what I can glean form the internet whispers, is seems that the Chicago acceptances are not yet "official" and those will come in short time. Is it possible that they preemptively contacted their first choices earlier and are still debating on the rest of the class? I just want to make sure before I mentally move on from Chicago.

I'm sorry about Stanford, but congratulations on Chicago!

I have to admit, a part of me is utterly heart broken about a concrete possibility of being rejected by Chicago, but a part of me is somewhat relieved.

I received an email from the chair with an explanation of the fellowship offer that I would be receiving from the university on paper ("in a few weeks"), which will be the official offer. I think it's possible that they may not yet have contacted people who would be receiving other funding / no funding, but from my own letter-- and what others have said here-- I think the funded or fully funded offers have been sent. Obviously, this is all guessing; if I hear anything concrete, I'll post it here.

Thank you!

Why relieved, if you don't mind me asking?

Why relieved, if you don't mind me asking?

It's really a completely non-academic reason. After six years in the East Coast in large cities, I've been wanting to return to California and be closer to my family. I know absolutely no one (well, except one guy from my freshman floor) in Chicago, and it seemed like daunting task to move to a city where everyone I knew was a plane ride away.

Oh. And the cold.

I was the one who posted that "official" offers would be out later. I posted that initially under the same circumstances that anonymous described. Now that I've talked to someone, however, I think that it's pretty unlikely that they are still deliberating. Start thinking California thoughts! I've started to prepare myself for seasonal affective disorder.

Congratulations, by the way, to all who have had some good news already!

Edited by aletheuein

FFFFFFFF.

I just checked Chicago's site. It seems like they never got transcripts from my post-bacc program, even though it was included in the very same packet as everything else. (I know it's my fault for not checking, but I was way too nervous and wanted to not think about graduate school applications after Dec. 15).

Well, that's that.

FFFFFFFF.

I just checked Chicago's site. It seems like they never got transcripts from my post-bacc program, even though it was included in the very same packet as everything else. (I know it's my fault for not checking, but I was way too nervous and wanted to not think about graduate school applications after Dec. 15).

Well, that's that.

Oh god, I'm so sorry. That's the application nightmare.

(Consolation prize: Stanford?)