Classics 2011

DrOrpheus

@Rendar

I did get the transcript upload error for Penn's app. I called, and everything is on file. Though I might email/call just for some piece of mind!

Believe me, I share your loathing for the GRE. BUT I visited Stanford (also my number one--would love to work with Ian Morris and Jen Trimble) and was assured that the GRE has very little weight in the decision process. Just another reason why Stanford is my top choice, haha.

What's you're area focus? I'm guessing you're more of a Hellenist (being that you want to work with Ober)?

Also, please share what you find out about Brown, I appreciate ANY insight into this painful, anxiety-ridden process!

Excellent. I'll give them a poke on Monday just to double check.

It's true - I got the same impression from email conversations with both Ober and Trimble. I'm very jealous you got to visit! I really considered it, but the flight alone from Edmonton would be $500-600 give or take. Nevertheless, I'll never get those four GRE hours of my life back.

They also put my language worries somewhat to rest. I find it overly frustraiting that Archaeology programs seem to be rarely clear on just what they expect for languages vs. the rest of Classics.

I focus quite a bit on miltary structures, landscape analysis of possible regional defense systems and am looking at moving more towards examining the concept of identity at a regional level in the 7th to 4th centuries. In specific, the identity of Thessaly and how/if it was expressed...not only as a region but I'm also curious as to how the various poleis of the region viewed themselves and the region. Naturally there are some towers lying about in the area which I'm thinking may tie in with political changes in the 4th century...something akin to what Ober outlines in Fortress Attica. That's it in a nutshell :)

Heard back from my friend and she mentioned she was notified mid-February.

Sounds like very interesting research and very applicable to Stanford! Best of luck... Hopefully we'll both be hearing good news come mid-February! (it just can't come soon enough...)

What were your language worries? I agree, language expectations are a bit unclear... it seems that most schools expect your language prep to be akin to philology students. If I remember correctly, Stanford only expects one ancient and one modern language for entrance?

Hmm. All info, save my name and email, has disappeared from my status page when I log into UF's status check. It could just be a glitch, but I'm not taking this as a very good omen. Anybody else try to log in to check their status with UF today?

It seems my hunch has been confirmed. After checking the results page from last year..."Called and spoke with Kathy. If information is deleted off UF application status page and/or if you haven't heard via phone, it's a rejection." I'm still going to wait for the email/call/letter though, just to make it official. It would be nice if they would actually put the words "rejected" or "accepted" on the page itself instead of it being totally vague. Hope this is of use to anybody else who saw the same thing on their UF status page.

Now I'm really nervous about my other app. I certainly hope my UG school will take me, but there are no guarantees. Gotta start thinking about what I'm going to do if that is also a rejection...

What were your language worries? I agree, language expectations are a bit unclear... it seems that most schools expect your language prep to be akin to philology students. If I remember correctly, Stanford only expects one ancient and one modern language for entrance?

Basically I'm a digger, not a linguist. With my BA a double honours and my MA an IntD program there wasn't much room for languages past two years of Latin and one year of Greek. Being a good Canadian I also have French down, although it's a bit rusty. I really need to get modern Greek down - it's horrible having only a basic grasp on it after working there so many years.

I feel that a lot of my colleagues that were in Classics and Classics alone here have a lot more Latin/Greek courses under the belt. On the flip side, I have a lot more anthropology and theory...all a trade off.

It seems my hunch has been confirmed. After checking the results page from last year...

I would suggest giving them a ring. Don't leave it to just assuming...you never know. At the very least giving them a call would give an opportunity to express your frustraition over the system. I wonder if they're even aware it deletes the data like that.

Probably not directly related since Philology is over in the Dept of Classics and Archaeologists are through the Interdepartmental program.

Nevertheless, if the application deadlines were similar then it would seem logical that both groups are deliberating at the moment.

Probably not directly related since Philology is over in the Dept of Classics and Archaeologists are through the Interdepartmental program.

Nevertheless, if the application deadlines were similar then it would seem logical that both groups are deliberating at the moment.

Different interdepartmental program again, but I heard from IPGRH at Michigan on Sunday night for an interview. They apparently met last Friday.

Desperately want to hear something from Stanford.

Just received an unofficial offer from Chicago. The officials are supposed to arrive in a couple of weeks. Best of luck to others.

Congratulations to you and all others who have received official offers!

I will assume, then, from the information given that I have been de-facto rejected by Yale and Chicago. And I received an official rejection from Duke this afternoon. Also, was rejected by Wisconsin last week.

One acceptance, however: University of Kansas' MA program.

I will keep all of you posted and I look forward to reading more news from all ye other posters as well.

I've been lurking here for a few days, but haven't been checking the status pages for my applications (thinking there weren't any for my programs!). Of course, I poked around a little more and got the department message "Decision made and sent to Grad school." It's maddening! I just wish I could know what that decision was. At least it'll be soon!

I've been lurking here for a few days, but haven't been checking the status pages for my applications (thinking there weren't any for my programs!). Of course, I poked around a little more and got the department message "Decision made and sent to Grad school." It's maddening! I just wish I could know what that decision was. At least it'll be soon!

That sounds annoying! What school is it?

Does anyone know what this "Interview" business is?

Actually, the better question:

Does anyone know if schools only accept those whom they've extended interviews too?

Depends on the school. I imagine only really rich schools can afford to have a face to face interview before making a decision because of the cost involved. There's always skype, but it seems that Classics departments (having a strong Luddite strain) are disinclined towards this. Apparently Chicago does no interview.

Some schools seem to do a combination of interviews and no-interviews. I base this on Duke, because several people are reporting acceptance already, but I know someone personally who has not yet been accepted, but she is being flown out for an interview.

Depends on the school. I imagine only really rich schools can afford to have a face to face interview before making a decision because of the cost involved. There's always skype, but it seems that Classics departments (having a strong Luddite strain) are disinclined towards this. Apparently Chicago does no interview.

Some schools seem to do a combination of interviews and no-interviews. I base this on Duke, because several people are reporting acceptance already, but I know someone personally who has not yet been accepted, but she is being flown out for an interview.

Some state schools [e.g. Michigan] do interview everyone on the short list before extending offers.

----

If the Berkeley poster on the board is lurking here-- was that an admit for AHMA?

----

Alethuein, are you primarily on the philological or historical side of things?

Anyone know anything about the Stanford wait-list that showed up today? I'm wondering if they also notified acceptances and/or rejections, because I still haven't heard anything from them.

I got my first result in last night and it was a yes from UGA. Waiting for 7 more results...

Congratulations! Its cool to see people getting acceptances so early this year.

ElCielo, I also haven't heard, but I suspect that if they've notified wait-lists, they've notified acceptances.

That's what I suspect as well, but its strange that none of the acceptance have shown up in results. Good luck!