Classics 2011

DrOrpheus

More news-asking: I still haven't received a rejection from Berkeley AHMA (my application status hasn't changed, at least) or Princeton. I suspect, at this point, that they'll both be negative, but it'd be nice to be able to cross them off entirely if that's the case. Does anyone know anything?

(Also: is anyone else waiting on Oxford? I get the impression from past years that all their results are sent snail-mail.)

More news-asking: I still haven't received a rejection from Berkeley AHMA (my application status hasn't changed, at least) or Princeton. I suspect, at this point, that they'll both be negative, but it'd be nice to be able to cross them off entirely if that's the case. Does anyone know anything?

(Also: is anyone else waiting on Oxford? I get the impression from past years that all their results are sent snail-mail.)

I just received my acceptance to Oxford MPhil Roman History. I received it by email (and I know two other people did as well - both also in Canada). I think it's only snail-mail if your on the European continent, and otherwise its by email. I'm guessing you did your application for the Jan 21st due date and according to the website, you can expect information around March 18th.

I just received my acceptance to Oxford MPhil Roman History. I received it by email (and I know two other people did as well - both also in Canada). I think it's only snail-mail if your on the European continent, and otherwise its by email. I'm guessing you did your application for the Jan 21st due date and according to the website, you can expect information around March 18th.

Time zones strike again. I got my acceptance for MPhil in Greek/Roman History by email when I got home tonight. Hooray!

If you're in Canada, I assume you're on Commonwealth fees, so your funding situation would be quite different from mine as an American. But do you know anything about when funding information might come out?

I know that Michigan has sent out some responses for its programs in Archaeology and Greek & Roman History, but has anyone heard responses about their Classical Studies program yet? It's one of the last schools I'm waiting to hear back from.

Time zones strike again. I got my acceptance for MPhil in Greek/Roman History by email when I got home tonight. Hooray!

If you're in Canada, I assume you're on Commonwealth fees, so your funding situation would be quite different from mine as an American. But do you know anything about when funding information might come out?

I'm actually an EU citizen and still 'officially' residing in an EU country - so I'll be paying the local fees.

To my knowledge, there is almost no funding to be gotten at Oxford.

If you happen to be one of the lucky few who does get a scholarship, it will be tied together with your college acceptance letter. At least that's what I understood from the email they sent.

Do you think you're going to attend?

Has anyone heard from Columbia yet? They told me mid-Feb that they were reviewing my application and would notify me when a decision had been made, but on their website it said they would notify everyone of their relevant decision by March. Hmm...

I know that Michigan has sent out some responses for its programs in Archaeology and Greek & Roman History, but has anyone heard responses about their Classical Studies program yet? It's one of the last schools I'm waiting to hear back from.

I didn't apply, but I know that these are out. The visit is this week.

I'm actually an EU citizen and still 'officially' residing in an EU country - so I'll be paying the local fees.

To my knowledge, there is almost no funding to be gotten at Oxford.

If you happen to be one of the lucky few who does get a scholarship, it will be tied together with your college acceptance letter. At least that's what I understood from the email they sent.

Do you think you're going to attend?

I can only attend if I get money of some sort, so it's obviously pretty unlikely-- although I've heard conflicting information from graduate students and people working in the Classics Faculty, the overall situation in the UK generally (and Oxford particularly) is rather bleak, so it's more of a nice feeling to be accepted than anything else, at this point. I'd love to go (just for the M.Phil.) if it were an option.

Otherwise, I'll be headed to an American PhD program. (Decision not made yet.)

Edited by anonymous- one hopes

I can only attend if I get money of some sort, so it's obviously pretty unlikely-- although I've heard conflicting information from graduate students and people working in the Classics Faculty, the overall situation in the UK generally (and Oxford particularly) is rather bleak, so it's more of a nice feeling to be accepted than anything else, at this point. I'd love to go (just for the M.Phil.) if it were an option.

Otherwise, I'll be headed to an American PhD program. (Decision not made yet.)

Well, going to a PhD fully funded is certainly going to be financially more appealing than oxford. And i'm sure that if you got into oxford you must have pretty good offers already.

Wait until you find out which college you are assigned and who knows, you might be one of the lucky few who got some scholarship (there are some that cover 100% tuition).

Has anyone heard from Columbia yet? They told me mid-Feb that they were reviewing my application and would notify me when a decision had been made, but on their website it said they would notify everyone of their relevant decision by March. Hmm...

Both Classical Studies and Classics interviewed people at the end of February and made their decisions last week.

So has anyone here heard from Harvard yet? On the results board there is 1 acceptance posted, along with 2 rejections. Can anyone claim these? I still haven't heard anything--but for the moment I'm chalking that up to the slowness of USPS.

So has anyone here heard from Harvard yet? On the results board there is 1 acceptance posted, along with 2 rejections. Can anyone claim these? I still haven't heard anything--but for the moment I'm chalking that up to the slowness of USPS.

Nothing here, but I haven't checked my postal mail in a while. I'm assuming I have a rejection waiting for me, but if you haven't heard anything and you've been checking your mail you might have been waitlisted. I have heard it through the grapevine (so take this with a grain of salt) that they have extended offers to all accepts and that they took 8 out of over 90.

I've been following this board for a few weeks now, but the lack of responses from schools have finally driven me to post something. It seems like it is unclear about whether Brown has started informing people. Does anyone have news from Penn State, Rutgers, Boston University, or Toronto's joint history program with York? I heard back from UT Austin this week. Buffalo and University of Washington sent me their decisions in mid-Feb.

I've been following this board for a few weeks now, but the lack of responses from schools have finally driven me to post something. It seems like it is unclear about whether Brown has started informing people. Does anyone have news from Penn State, Rutgers, Boston University, or Toronto's joint history program with York? I heard back from UT Austin this week. Buffalo and University of Washington sent me their decisions in mid-Feb.

The grapevine says that Brown only finished their interviews last week, so it's still very likely that they're still deliberating.

Ah, decisions - I am agonizing between Duke and UCSB. What do folks think?

UCSB all the way!!! I've heard that the staff there is really nice and the weather??? You'd be living in the land of the lotus, lol!

However, I shall quote from a close friend of mine who has a Ph.D. from Duke; he says, "They are instructed to hire the newest, hottest, up and coming fresh out of grad school candidates, but while this sounds great and all, [he just can't] recommend the program these days since it's very lopsided." I know that we don't know each other, but please believe me when I say that this guy's word is solid gold. What is your area of concentration? If Duke has a prof or two in your area, then I'm glad the decision is not mine, lol!

Either way, they are both good programs, and congratulations on such a rough decision! :)

UCSB all the way!!! I've heard that the staff there is really nice and the weather??? You'd be living in the land of the lotus, lol!

However, I shall quote from a close friend of mine who has a Ph.D. from Duke; he says, "They are instructed to hire the newest, hottest, up and coming fresh out of grad school candidates, but while this sounds great and all, [he just can't] recommend the program these days since it's very lopsided." I know that we don't know each other, but please believe me when I say that this guy's word is solid gold. What is your area of concentration? If Duke has a prof or two in your area, then I'm glad the decision is not mine, lol!

Either way, they are both good programs, and congratulations on such a rough decision! :)

Thanks for the advice! I'm actually coming from UCSB's MA program, and I can definitely recommend the program to people - the faculty do excellent work and are tireless advisers.

May I ask what your friend means by 'lopsided'?