2024 Application Thread

dr. t

• dr. t pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I am an international student and got accepted with funding to a masters program in a Canadian university. The program starts in September 2023 and its duration is expected to be two years. I plan to apply to a PhD in the USA after that.

When would it be the ideal time to apply to a PhD program? The end of 2024 or the end of 2025?

My worry: if I apply only by the end of 2025 (which is the end of the MA itself) and got and offer to a PhD, I will need to wait untill the Fall of 2026 to start the course, without funding and doing I don't know what to survive. So I was wondering if is it possible to apply by the end of 2024, in order to start the PhD right after finishing the masters.

Thank You

• 2 months later...
On 6/29/2023 at 10:36 AM, JohnNobody said:

My worry: if I apply only by the end of 2025 (which is the end of the MA itself) and got and offer to a PhD,

@JohnNobody

If it's a two year program, then it ends in the spring of 2025. You apply in the fall of 2024 when the applications open. You will get the results sometime in the spring of 2025. If admitted, you will start in the fall of 2025. In that case, there won't be a break in you funding, except the summer of 2025, but hopefully that's something you can plan ahead for.

Also, congrats on the funded MA!

• 1 month later...

Anybody thinking about prioritizing schools with a digital emphasis? I want to get a phd and am thinking that would expand career opportunities outside of academia.

• 1 month later...

As per the Brown interview information shared in the results section, is it possible for me and other fellow applicants to learn more about it if the original user is also in this forum? Admittedly it is quite a bummer for me that I haven't heard anything from Brown until now. Expecting this cycle could be a tough one as well...

On 12/16/2023 at 5:24 AM, yagiz said:

As per the Brown interview information shared in the results section, is it possible for me and other fellow applicants to learn more about it if the original user is also in this forum? Admittedly it is quite a bummer for me that I haven't heard anything from Brown until now. Expecting this cycle could be a tough one as well...

Hello,

I'm the brown interview request. POI reached out last week saying they were doing 30 minute interviews by subfield to make their rankings which would then go to the full committee. All interviews must be done by Jan. 1, so there is still hope left. Best of luck to you. This is my 3rd time applying and this is the furthest I've ever got, so I get the feeling!

On 12/20/2023 at 3:22 PM, confusedmedievalist said:

Hello,

I'm the brown interview request. POI reached out last week saying they were doing 30 minute interviews by subfield to make their rankings which would then go to the full committee. All interviews must be done by Jan. 1, so there is still hope left. Best of luck to you. This is my 3rd time applying and this is the furthest I've ever got, so I get the feeling!

Congratulations on your Brown interview and sincerely hope for your third round to be successful! Brown is not a perfect faculty fit for my research interests, and the main reason for my applying to Brown is to endorse several faculties' efforts and public engagements in the ongoing Gaza humanitarian crisis. Of course, it would be great to at least have a virtual chat with them. On the other hand, I am also fine that they are determined to talk with applicants whose research interests match theirs better.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 7:22 AM, confusedmedievalist said:

Hello,

For anyone else who applied to Brown, I got an email from my POI in early December saying that this year they are only doing interviews with people who have not already spoken (by phone or zoom, presumably) with someone in the department. So if you already talked with someone in the department you won't be contacted for an interview request even if they are interested in you.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, beee said:

hi! hope everyone is staying sane during this waiting period 🥲🥲 just wondering if any of the people who reported yale interviews mind sharing their sub fields? good luck everyone and congrats on the interview requests so far!!!! 

hey beee, it is me. My subfield is Middle East. I am not sure why our application thread this year is almost dead silence. I myself actually would like to learn more about the posted Berkeley interview in the result section as well.

Edited by yagiz

4 hours ago, yagiz said:

hey beee, it is me. My subfield is Middle East. I am not sure why our application thread this year is almost dead silence. I myself actually would like to learn more about the posted Berkeley interview in the result section as well.

Hi Yagiz, who is your POI at Yale? My subfield is also the Middle East; if you don't mind, I would like to learn about the schools you applied to and got interviews with. All the best.

3 hours ago, Aishaaa said:

Hi Yagiz, who is your POI at Yale? My subfield is also the Middle East; if you don't mind, I would like to learn about the schools you applied to and got interviews with. All the best.

Hi Aishaaa, I will DM you.

2 hours ago, Nervienellie said:

Hey Folks! Has any south asianist heard back from Yale  or Columbia yet? little nervous to see all these interview calls- would be relieved to have someone put an end to misery!

I applied to Columbia History but haven't heard anything—and have not seen reports of anyone hearing back yet. Any communication would probably be informal. Columbia History is a large-ish program and receives hundreds of applications. I did see that MESAAS came up with their shortlist.

1 minute ago, obk90 said:

I applied to Columbia History but haven't heard anything—and have not seen reports of anyone hearing back yet. Any communication would probably be informal. Columbia History is a large-ish program and receives hundreds of applications. I did see that MESAAS came up with their shortlist.

A few people on reddit did tell me they got interview calls from potential advisors, modern europe and global history if I remember correctly. Fingers crossed for both of us!

15 hours ago, Nervienellie said:

A few people on reddit did tell me they got interview calls from potential advisors, modern europe and global history if I remember correctly. Fingers crossed for both of us!

Hi! Do you have a link to this subreddit? I just wanna jump on it. I applied to Columbia and haven't heard anything (Latin America subfield).

should I assume rejections from princeton & yale at this point if I haven’t received interview requests? or is there still time? (also congrats to everyone who’s received requests so far!!) 

32 minutes ago, beee said:

should I assume rejections from princeton & yale at this point if I haven’t received interview requests? or is there still time? (also congrats to everyone who’s received requests so far!!) 

I think it really depends on the subfield, I know someone who goes to Yale and did not interview beforehand or contact POIs! (at least that's what she told me lol)

1 hour ago, beee said:

If you applied to the Department of Near Eastern Studies at Princeton, I think so. I don't know about other departments there and whether they do interviews (same for Yale). 

Yes, as I stated more than one weeks agao, it is a little bit sad that this year's thread is somehow quiet that it makes us harder to exchange and share useful information about interview dates and relevant application stuff here. I am also anxiously waiting for several other universities whose interview information has been posted in the result section to decide whether I should let myself go.