2024 Application Thread

dr. t

4 hours ago, lamericanist2024 said:

Does anyone know if Harvard or UPenn do interviews?

I'm almost certain Harvard doesn't, but they've also rejected me twice so maybe I just wouldn't know. 

5 hours ago, Nervienellie said:

Yale GSAS decided by a vote a few years ago that they definitely have to conduct some form of interview before admitting someone. So I would wait it out for a few more days and then assume a rejection.

Yale does do interviews, but I'd caution against assuming a rejections, because I had mine a week before other people have had theirs. It's clearly quite variable. 

On 1/19/2024 at 1:53 PM, AB2024 said:

Got my first acceptance this morning to UC Santa Barbara! Interviewing for Clemson's digital history program next week. Still holding out hope for my 7 others (eek). Has anyone heard from Rutgers or Johns Hopkins?

I was invited to an informal talk with my POI at Johns Hopkins. I'm told they accept around 10-13 students per year and typically make their decisions at the end of January. However, I'm not certain if interviews are part of their regular process.

Anyone has heard anything from UVA? Based on the results of previous years, it seems that they are going to release their decisions this week and unfortunately it is completely radio silence for me since I submitted my application on Dec 15th.

8 hours ago, yagiz said:

Anyone has heard anything from UVA? Based on the results of previous years, it seems that they are going to release their decisions this week and unfortunately it is completely radio silence for me since I submitted my application on Dec 15th.

I haven't heard anything from UVA either. When I spoke with my POIs, neither of them mentioned interviews in the application review process, so it is possible that they only interview people that they have not had prior communication with. I'm not 100% sure on that, but I wouldn't count UVA out yet :)

3 hours ago, belladonna said:

I haven't heard anything from UVA either. When I spoke with my POIs, neither of them mentioned interviews in the application review process, so it is possible that they only interview people that they have not had prior communication with. I'm not 100% sure on that, but I wouldn't count UVA out yet :)

Thank you for explaining this belladonna, it seems that the only thing we could do at this moment is to carry on with all the waiting process.

On 1/20/2024 at 5:55 AM, taayrup12345 said:

Hello! Did anyone apply to the programs at UC Santa Cruz or BU? I'm unsure if either of these programs interview, and am curious if anyone knows anything more. Thanks!

Hi I applied BU. i asked DGS, he said: only candidates who advance to the final round will be interviewed and they will be asked questions about their academic interests in history and about their prior training in the field. Details and deadlines will be shared after a short list of candidates has been compiled, which will not be until January 2024.

i am really nervous now! this week is the last week of January...

As per the NYU offer holder shared in the results section, could you please share me with the more details? i am also in the Modern European Field. i am doing British history. just wondering whether it means i will receive a rejection...

On 1/23/2024 at 8:50 AM, Doubao said:

As per the NYU offer holder shared in the results section, could you please share me with the more details? i am also in the Modern European Field. i am doing British history. just wondering whether it means i will receive a rejection...

Hi! I am not that person but also heard from NYU via email yesterday. I had interviews with 2 different POIs throughout the last 2 weeks. I heard from the department administrator and then from the Professors who interviewed me.

Anyone who got interview requests from UPenn: would you mind sharing when you received them and if it was from the Professors themselves? Also what subfields? I am thinking I should expect a rejection since I haven't heard anything. 

40 minutes ago, ndoco2024 said:

Hi! I am not that person but also heard from NYU via email yesterday. I had interviews with 2 different POIs throughout the last 2 weeks. I heard from the department administrator and then from the Professors who interviewed me.

oh sorry for forgetting to quote for my last post...i am utterly devastated...

19 minutes ago, Doubao said:

so you received an offer from NYU? Congratulation! i will write to the department administrator now, thanks for sharing! Guess will receive a rejection soon...

I think it really varies by subfield, I would wait it out and email if you didn't hear by mid-Feb. Don't lose hope yet, most departments have not made final decisions and most acceptances have been unofficial! Edit: Also, I am not in the subfield you mentioned.

Edited by ndoco2024

12 hours ago, ndoco2024 said:

Anyone who got interview requests from UPenn: would you mind sharing when you received them and if it was from the Professors themselves? Also what subfields? I am thinking I should expect a rejection since I haven't heard anything. 

I got an interview request from UPenn late at night on the 23rd (which I didn't see until recently -- yikes!) and it came from the Chair of Graduate Studies Ann Farnsworth-Alvear, though she is, like me, a Latin Americanist. Her email mentions meeting online with "a small group of faculty members," but doesn't specify which.

11 hours ago, heyhihowareyou said:

I got an interview request from UPenn late at night on the 23rd (which I didn't see until recently -- yikes!) and it came from the Chair of Graduate Studies Ann Farnsworth-Alvear, though she is, like me, a Latin Americanist. Her email mentions meeting online with "a small group of faculty members," but doesn't specify which.

Thanks for replying! And congrats! I named her as my POI so I guess I'm not getting in lol. I'm also a Latin Americanist!