MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

Look, I know its Sunday, and in my mind I know that it doesnt matter how many times I check my email or how many times I look at the admissions site, NOTHING is going to have changed from an hour ago or from yesterday or the day before... but, I cant help it I'm totally obsessed!!!!!!! It is all I can think about... how pathetic!!!!!

I'm the same way!!!!!!! I'm writing lesson plans right now for elementary school art, but it's still in the back of my mind. Doing everything I can to try and focus. Thankfully the past three weeks have gone by incredibly fast. I'm not expecting to hear anything until mid Feb. at least....I looked at the posts from last year, and seems no one really heard from the schools I applied to until then.

Look, I know its Sunday, and in my mind I know that it doesnt matter how many times I check my email or how many times I look at the admissions site, NOTHING is going to have changed from an hour ago or from yesterday or the day before... but, I cant help it I'm totally obsessed!!!!!!! It is all I can think about... how pathetic!!!!!

I'm also applying to carnegie and am surprised that i haven't seen it on many people's lists--i LOVE the program there. wondering what drew you to it and what sort of work you make. i really love the contextual practice bit and emphasis on academics as well as studio practice, and i make multi-media print-based but moving-into-installation kinds of things.

L

MFA in painting

SVA

SAIC

Carnegie Mellon

Iowa

UIC

SAIC, Carnegie Mellon and Iowa are my top three, with Carnegie being #1. it will be at least until april until i hear from Carnegie i think....ugh

I'm also applying to carnegie and am surprised that i haven't seen it on many people's lists--i LOVE the program there. wondering what drew you to it and what sort of work you make. i really love the contextual practice bit and emphasis on academics as well as studio practice, and i make multi-media print-based but moving-into-installation kinds of things.

L

I love a challenge. the idea of a three year program with a final written thesis and show is a fantastic opportunity.

Also, When i visited i inquired about recommendations. i wasn't sure how many i would need. i was told that they were not necessary, that they instead have a discussion with the recommenders. To me, that showed that the program really wanted to go to the next level in understanding potential students.

I mostly do non objective oil paintings.

Edited by Worfalisk1

Also applied to Tyler Painting, also heard nothing.

GAH! this is so soon, and that's bizarre that they contacted people on a weekend.

I've been having crazy dreams about interviews because I know I need to go through them for tons of schools but am a super awkward interviewee. I come across much stronger in papers/essays because I'm horrible at thinking on my feet and bragging about myself in a really down to earth way. I mean how do people even pull that off???

I'm in the category of being so nervous that I almost forget my own name! In the past I have gotten nervous for silly things like interviews for a restaurant job. I almost wish I could take a couple shots of tequila before I go into an interview, and then I'd be good to go!

Also applied to Tyler Painting, also heard nothing.

GAH! this is so soon, and that's bizarre that they contacted people on a weekend.

I've been having crazy dreams about interviews because I know I need to go through them for tons of schools but am a super awkward interviewee. I come across much stronger in papers/essays because I'm horrible at thinking on my feet and bragging about myself in a really down to earth way. I mean how do people even pull that off???

Thank you for the information :)

I came really close to applying to UPenn and then decided not to at the last minute.

My main concern was the lack of funding offered to grad students. I'm trepidatious about going into heavy debt when I currently can only find part time work.

I went to an information with Terry Adkins, who runs sculpture (and is the only sculpture faculty member) and I was one of two people there so we were able to have a good conversation. I liked him a lot, he's a real straight shooter.

One thing I'm looking for in a grad program is a strong mentorship. The PennDesign program is structured with very few full faculty members and a heavy reliance on visiting artists. While I think visiting artists are a very important component to a grad program, I was concerned that the students might not have enough access to what few regular faculty there are. Terry, for example lives in New York (so does Jude Tallichet @ Tyler, another school I decided not to apply to). I think if you have a lot of money saved and you don't feel like you need your professors to be super accessible, then PennDesign seems like a great choice.

i found a website that lists various mfa programs' acceptance rates. in case anyone else would be interested, it's here: http://www.petersons...sp?path=gr.home ... search: [college name] mfa

Thanks for that. I realized I am applying to multiple schools with 20% acceptance rates. Better then I thought. Though I am still applying to some with 3%-8%- ugh. And two of my top three didn't show the rate, but still it was better then I thought.

I had the same type of thing with my schools... several had much higher acceptance % than I had expected... and one had only a 4% and I though it was one of my "safety" schools!!!! YIKES!!! but good overall... MICA didnt say though, I'd be curious to know

Thanks for that. I realized I am applying to multiple schools with 20% acceptance rates. Better then I thought. Though I am still applying to some with 3%-8%- ugh. And two of my top three didn't show the rate, but still it was better then I thought.

These are usually not accurate. I had found all this info when I was beginning my searches, because I had an MFA program catalogue. When I visited schools, I heard otherwise. The reason it's not accurate is because it's telling you the overall MFA acceptance rate....it might say 20%, but there may be a 5% rate for painting, or a 30% rate for ceramics, you get the idea. Think about it: there are so many more painting applicants than other areas (this also depends on the school). Also, a school that is top tier for one program may not be for another...therefore one area of study is more selective than another.

in some cases, if you don't waive your right, schools won't put as much faith in the word of the recommender: if you can demand to see the letter, the writer might hold back about negative stuff.

Wish I had known that before checking "I do not want to waive my right..." on every letter. I didn't even care either way, I just thought if I have a choice I didn't see any reason to waive it.

Oh well, it's out of my hands now. I figure, if they really want to know the truth, they can contact the writers directly.

I'd be careful about relying on those numbers: some programs (like VCU, Yale, etc.) have very different acceptance rates for different media (paint, sculpture, e.g.). I think Petersons just averages that out, which might give inaccurate %s overall. Also, I think for MFA programs these kinds of #s are so variable: app #s can change vastly from year to year...

I had the same type of thing with my schools... several had much higher acceptance % than I had expected... and one had only a 4% and I though it was one of my "safety" schools!!!! YIKES!!! but good overall... MICA didnt say though, I'd be curious to know

I'd be careful about relying on those numbers: some programs (like VCU, Yale, etc.) have very different acceptance rates for different media (paint, sculpture, e.g.). I think Petersons just averages that out, which might give inaccurate %s overall. Also, I think for MFA programs these kinds of #s are so variable: app #s can change vastly from year to year...

Exactly – don't be (too) depressed. As others have mentioned, the fact that they don't break out acceptance rates by discipline makes the statistics essentially worthless. Take Yale, for instance (this is from 2009, but you get the idea):

Painting and printmaking: 618 applications

Sculpture: 248 applications

Photography: 243 applications

Graphic design: 169 applications.

( Source: http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2009/jan/23/apps-to-art-school-increase/ )

This is for an average of 66 acceptances (and 56 "takers"). Each discipline also has a specific number of admits per class (last year: 16 graphic design, 21 painting, 9 photo, 10 sculpture), but even this changes from year to year. My point is that statistics are great to obsess over, but these probably aren't the ones by which to do so.

Good luck again all, I'm losing my mind with this waiting!

Ah, Thanks!! biggrin.gif That makes complete sense!!

I'm losing my mind waiting too....blah.

Exactly – don't be (too) depressed. As others have mentioned, the fact that they don't break out acceptance rates by discipline makes the statistics essentially worthless. Take Yale, for instance (this is from 2009, but you get the idea):

( Source: http://www.yaledaily...chool-increase/ )

This is for an average of 66 acceptances (and 56 "takers"). Each discipline also has a specific number of admits per class (last year: 16 graphic design, 21 painting, 9 photo, 10 sculpture), but even this changes from year to year. My point is that statistics are great to obsess over, but these probably aren't the ones by which to do so.

The rates also go up a bit...because you also have to factor out the large number of applicants who are throwing drawings and classroom assignments from drawing 1 into their portfolios. There are surprisingly a lot of people who do that out there....they told me that they get a lot of it when I visited tyler.

( Source: http://www.yaledaily...chool-increase/ )

The rates also go up a bit...because you also have to factor out the large number of applicants who are throwing drawings and classroom assignments from drawing 1 into their portfolios. There are surprisingly a lot of people who do that out there....they told me that they get a lot of it when I visited tyler.

Hmm interesting, so then its a bad thing to include drawings in the portfolio or just drawings done from beginning courses?

Hmm interesting, so then its a bad thing to include drawings in the portfolio or just drawings done from beginning courses?

I think the idea is that some people don't have very much work or good work or for some other reason are not ready for grad school, yet apply anyway. If you take out the portfolios that reviewers will see as obvious, immediate nos, the number of people you're actually competing with for a spot is smaller than the total number of people who applied.

Also, it's entirely possible for work from beginning classes to be fantastic, but most schools specify that they want to see recent work. People submitting work from classes they took a long time ago may be in trouble, too.

I think the idea is that some people don't have very much work or good work or for some other reason are not ready for grad school, yet apply anyway. If you take out the portfolios that reviewers will see as obvious, immediate nos, the number of people you're actually competing with for a spot is smaller than the total number of people who applied.

Also, it's entirely possible for work from beginning classes to be fantastic, but most schools specify that they want to see recent work. People submitting work from classes they took a long time ago may be in trouble, too.

What I heard is about a third of applicants have no reason applying for grad school. Their portfolio is not cohesive and they don't even follow the directions of the application. A third is just ok, but their work still needs development and a third is really good- and these are the portfolios that they have to decide from.

What I heard is about a third of applicants have no reason applying for grad school. Their portfolio is not cohesive and they don't even follow the directions of the application. A third is just ok, but their work still needs development and a third is really good- and these are the portfolios that they have to decide from.

Comforting because I worked my butt off, followed all the instructions and submitted a cohesive body of work. Terrifying because the only people who've seen my recent work are friends, and the fact that I feel good about it doesn't mean that it is good.

I love this forum because the fact that my apps are out there in the wild and out of my control is all I think about, but I don't like to talk about them with most people I know/people who don't understand how difficult the whole process is. You guys are great, and I hope you're all in that final, "really good" third.

I also love having this forum and you guys to talk with. This is perhaps one of the most stressful situations I have been in, but being able to talk with people in the same situation makes all the worry significantly easier!! Thanks everyone! Also, I have been going through phases where I know and am confident that my work is strong and relevant and then I swing into these weird moods where I think they are totally going to think my work sucks. Who knows, in the end I truly believe in what I am making and I I really hope someone else out there gets it and believes in it too!!!!