MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

I don't know how much it affects your odds, but as my girlfriend says, it's much harder to say no to someone who you've met in person. I think if anything it will decide a tie between you and another applicant.

hello everyone!

so i'm probably over thinking this, but maybe you kind folks can offer some insight in the area of interviews...do you think there is an advantage for interviewing in person, versus skype or over the phone? I know some schools offer different options for interviewing (especially since many of us are applying to schools all over the country!), but i'd love to get other people's opinions! :)

thanks!

hello everyone!

so i'm probably over thinking this, but maybe you kind folks can offer some insight in the area of interviews...do you think there is an advantage for interviewing in person, versus skype or over the phone? I know some schools offer different options for interviewing (especially since many of us are applying to schools all over the country!), but i'd love to get other people's opinions! :)

thanks!

My vote goes to in-person whenever possible. Skype is awesome technology, but time lapses might make it awkward and not really give the interviewers a good/accurate sense of your personality. Then again, I can't fathom paying hundreds of dollars on travel, so I guess location factors in too. Still...aim for in-person–it makes a more lasting impression.

hello everyone!

thanks!

definitely in person is better than over the phone. last year, for example, my program only took 1 phone interviewee out of the 10 students they accepted. She was overseas. About 15-20 people out of 40 interviewees interviewed by phone. Schools really look down on your opting for a phone over in-person. I do not know about Skype though. I think going in-person shows your dedication.

definitely in person is better than over the phone. last year, for example, my program only took 1 phone interviewee out of the 10 students they accepted. She was overseas. About 15-20 people out of 40 interviewees interviewed by phone. Schools really look down on your opting for a phone over in-person. I do not know about Skype though. I think going in-person shows your dedication.

so if my present location is a 14 hour flight (plus layover time) away plus a thousand dollar ticket (if lucky) it would be a reasonable ground for a phone/skype interview request?

so if my present location is a 14 hour flight (plus layover time) away plus a thousand dollar ticket (if lucky) it would be a reasonable ground for a phone/skype interview request?

In my opinion, Absolutely! CCA only offered a phone interview and it sounds like SFAI is mainly doing phone interviews as well. (They said you could request an in person interview if you really wanted one, but it was totally optional.)

Good luck!

Totally. That's kind of why I think Yale is absolutely ridiculous–how can you expect people to travel from all over and ship their work? You should shell out hundreds or thousands for what, a thirty to forty five minute interview? While I really think you should go in-person whenever possible, I think large distances and costs are a completely acceptable reason for a phone/Skype interview.

Lots of luck!

Talk to Melissa Morgan at Tyler this morning...among other things she said that the first round of the Painting department had been selected, and notifications should go next week! :o

So does the first round mean for interviews?? Or have interview notifications already been sent out and I just didn't know about it? Or does Tyler painting do interviews at all? UGH.

got an interview for next tuesday with Penn design at 11:30 even though just before I got that emailI got an email respinse from an administrator saying that they DID NOT cunduct interviews!!! YAY what a relief to at least HEAR form someone.

That is super exciting! Did they contact you or did you contact them?

I called them because I was apparently missing 2 of my 3 letters of recommendation. Fortunately she said it wouldn't affect decisions.

I wish they would go ahead and let everyone know NOW. Quit beating around the bush, guys. :lol:

My stomach is in knots. The only response I have so far is one rejection. Did you get everything sorted out for your Yale interview?

I called them because I was apparently missing 2 of my 3 letters of recommendation. Fortunately she said it wouldn't affect decisions.

I wish they would go ahead and let everyone know NOW. Quit beating around the bush, guys. :lol:

My stomach is in knots. The only response I have so far is one rejection. Did you get everything sorted out for your Yale interview?

Not yet. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about this large painting. I'm heading to UPS to discuss over-sized shipping on Monday.

Do you know if Tyler conducts interviews? I assumed they did, but I'm not sure I physically read it anywhere or not.

All my paintings are huge as well. I planned on taking them off the stretchers and rolling them up if necessary, then pinning them up. If I were you I would try to consider that as a cheaper option then shipping on stretchers. I was looking through the posts from last year and I saw that Tyler conducted skype interviews. I can't find any in person interviews.

Not yet. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about this large painting. I'm heading to UPS to discuss over-sized shipping on Monday.

Do you know if Tyler conducts interviews? I assumed they did, but I'm not sure I physically read it anywhere or not.