MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

wat does this mean---> application status: incomplete items outstanding

on the summery it says they have received everything

its not a rejection right?

should I call?

any ideas

Mine says that too- but apparently because one of my recommendations never showed up.

I emailed admissions to ask what I should do. She said "you can have her email it....if you want"

not sure how to interpret that!

is that from your tyler app?

yeah mine was like that before i replied to an email by the app coordinator. she had asked that everyone re-send their statement and CV. if not, there should be a mention about what is missing. giving a monday morning call wouldn't hurt though. best of luck.

wat does this mean---> application status: incomplete items outstanding

on the summery it says they have received everything

its not a rejection right?

should I call?

any ideas

thank you

but i didnt get that email. im gonna call on mon

i hope i dont get rejected by mon

=/

is that from your tyler app?

yeah mine was like that before i replied to an email by the app coordinator. she had asked that everyone re-send their statement and CV. if not, there should be a mention about what is missing. giving a monday morning call wouldn't hurt though. best of luck.

Mine says that too- but apparently because one of my recommendations never showed up.

I emailed admissions to ask what I should do. She said "you can have her email it....if you want"

not sure how to interpret that!

thank you for ur input

im really freakin out now cuz temple in my top choice. im gonna go crazy till i call them on mon!

I applied to the Art and Technology MFA. The interview, well, they asked me about a specific piece of work in my portfolio, I explained it involving the critical aspects of it (labour and politics...), and then he told me more stuff about CalArts, the program and other professors I could meet at there. It was really nice and I felt very relaxed.

Thanks for the good luck, and good luck for you too!

that's great! thanks for the info!

I just got my rejection email from NYU earlier this week and am anxiously awaiting news from Columbia.

So far I have 3 rejections and I'm already planning what I can do better for next year's applications. Aside from maybe applying to easier schools, having more recent art work would top my list.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yale - rejected

Royal Academy (London) - rejected

NYU (Steinhardt) - rejected

Columbia - ?

Hunter - ?

SVA - ?

PennDesign - ?

U of Georgia - ?

SCAD - ?

When did you hear from the Uni of Washington (Painting program? or...) and by what method? mail?

Thanks!

I received a letter of acceptance from Rutgers and was wondering if other people who have been accepted have heard financial aid details? The letter was pretty brief and basically just said I was admitted.

Yale: Interview

Columbia: Interview

MICA: Interview

Rutgers: Accepted

U of Washington: Accepted

VCU:

RISD:

Out of curiosity, are there many people here who have waited between their BFA and MFA?

You're making the assumption that we all have BFAs.

The F is not really a requirement, nor is a the A, really.

I got my BA (not in art) 8 years ago.

You're making the assumption that we all have BFAs.

The F is not really a requirement, nor is a the A, really.

I got my BA (not in art) 8 years ago.

Most of the programs I applied to said that (while not a requirement) BFA was preferred...AKA: Your work better be a mind blowing game changer otherwise good luck with that BS in biology. To be honest, when I visited USC they pointed out two people who somehow got in, one was a lawyer and the other a scientist of some sort and their work was SUPER awkward and didn't really feel developed or like it had a clue as to where it was going. I'd hate to be in a program where I'd have to be having freshman undergrad type arguments with people who don't have the same education in art that I do. That was old hat by my senior year of undergrad, I could deal with it if I was teaching...but as a peer I wouldn't stand for it.

Yikes! The professors were pointing out underdeveloped students? That is reason enough.

Most of the programs I applied to said that (while not a requirement) BFA was preferred...AKA: Your work better be a mind blowing game changer otherwise good luck with that BS in biology. To be honest, when I visited USC they pointed out two people who somehow got in, one was a lawyer and the other a scientist of some sort and their work was SUPER awkward and didn't really feel developed or like it had a clue as to where it was going. I'd hate to be in a program where I'd have to be having freshman undergrad type arguments with people who don't have the same education in art that I do. That was old hat by my senior year of undergrad, I could deal with it if I was teaching...but as a peer I wouldn't stand for it.

I am in my very late 20's and I took 5 years off in the MIDDLE of my BFA but I just finished my degree in 2010. I just did my time off to work and make art a little backwards. I certainly don't think I would have been ready at 22 but that was just me and the place I was in at the time. I'm certain that the age for MFA runs the gamut between right out of undergrad to people in their 40's. I don't think its about age but about how much your art has had the opportunity to mature.

Well, the AdComm clearly made a mistake there. For me, there's no way in hell I'll ever be going back for a BFA, but I've pretty much got a minor in Art will all the classes I've taken over the last 3 years. I read critical theory FOR FUN and know exactly what I'm doing with my work and where I'm going. And there are a lot more of us out there than you think, and some programs won't hold it against you at all if you have had the art history, have a good portfolio, have good recs and can hold your own in an interview. But some programs don't interview, and that scares me for the reason you mention above.

This comes off as judgmental...perhaps because I've heard this argument before. I think you've either got it or you don't. To say someones educational background is grounds for them not being admitted to an MFA program or unworthy for the label of a "good artist" is ridiculous. My background is in PR and I'm currently a Creative Director....I've been immersed in the "art world" because of my parents. So to anyone else reading these boards don't let anyone tell you about art, because at the end of the day art is subjective. When you start reasoning away someones talent or experience or educational merit....art is no longer art.

So there's my bit of honesty wink.gif

Cheers to forging ahead!

Edited by HopeDreamPaint

I got a BA at a liberal arts college (concentration in art) in 2002. I waited a while, but I've been in the arts industry for 5 years now. The experience was definitely something I needed to figure out the direction I'd take with my own personal art. I applied to grad school in 2004 and was accepted into a great school, but my head wasn't in the right place at the time. I think it was definitely beneficial for me to take time off between degrees - it just gave me more perspective and allowed me to grow a little more. There's nothing wrong with going directly for the graduate degree, either, it just depends on the person and where he or she is.

I SERIOUSLY JUST MADE AN ACCOUNT ONLY TO REPLY TO THIS POST......THANK YOU, WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This comes off as judgmental...perhaps because I've heard this argument before. I think you've either got it or you don't. To say someones educational background is grounds for them not being admitted to an MFA program or unworthy for the label of a "good artist" is ridiculous. My background is in PR and I'm currently a Creative Director....I've been immersed in the "art world" because of my parents. So to anyone else reading these boards don't let anyone tell you about art, because at the end of the day art is subjective. When you start reasoning away someones talent or experience or educational merit....art is no longer art.

So there's my bit of honesty wink.gif

Cheers to forging ahead!

Hi,

When and how did you heard from Columbia? Visual Arts program?

Thanks!

I received a letter of acceptance from Rutgers and was wondering if other people who have been accepted have heard financial aid details? The letter was pretty brief and basically just said I was admitted.

Yale: Interview

Columbia: Interview

MICA: Interview

Rutgers: Accepted

U of Washington: Accepted

VCU:

RISD: