MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

These decisions are so difficult!!! University of Chicago is a lower ranked program right now compared to some of my other options - but they just hired Jessica Stockholder away from Yale to be head of the program (one of my favorite artists), are building $150M new building, and are clearly trying to bring the level of the arts programs up to the standard of their other professional schools (business, law, medicine etc are all top 10 in the world). Chicago is not nearly as good an environment as NY to get an MFA just given everything else going on around you in NY and the larger/better pool of visiting artists....but ahhhhhhhh ... what to do what to do???

Congratulations! CGU is an awesome school - the Claremont Colleges are great in general.

Did anyone else apply to CGU or know anyone attending there now? I just found out I got accepted.

Congratulations! CGU is an awesome school - the Claremont Colleges are great in general.

Hey Thanks! I'd love to hear more from your perspective, I feel kind of clueless about them. Although they seem to have some cool profs, so that's why I applied. Turns out they only give funding to 2nd year students (11K) and nothing to first years, although there are work study opps.

Jessica Stockholder is my idol!!!!!!!!!!! She is AMAZING and the fact that they are building the program means they are committed and that they is huge room for growth and potential to get significant attention. I think that is something thta cant be overlooked... you have to consider what the advantages are to being in an up an coming program!! Good Luck

These decisions are so difficult!!! University of Chicago is a lower ranked program right now compared to some of my other options - but they just hired Jessica Stockholder away from Yale to be head of the program (one of my favorite artists), are building $150M new building, and are clearly trying to bring the level of the arts programs up to the standard of their other professional schools (business, law, medicine etc are all top 10 in the world). Chicago is not nearly as good an environment as NY to get an MFA just given everything else going on around you in NY and the larger/better pool of visiting artists....but ahhhhhhhh ... what to do what to do???

i thought you got a call of unofficial acceptance weeks ago?

i did, i'm waiting for a letter though. it's the unofficial part that is starting to bother me!

I applied for their Interdisciplinary/new media offering and I had my interview on valentine's day.

I considered them primarily because my live-in boyfriend is a first year in medical school at Penn, so it would allow me to stay here with him.

What program did you apply for PennDesign? Did you have an interview?

Just checking in to see if anyone applying to MFA Sculpture at RISD or SAIC has received an acceptance yet (through email, phone or letter?)

I just got another offer, offering a scholarship but giving me a hard deadline to work with, March 18th, and I'm hoping to hear from these two schools before then.

Cranbrook Academy of Art: accepted

SAIC: interviewed on March 5th

RISD:??

---

Canada:

York: accepted with full scholarship (phone and mail)

Guelph: interviewed/ rejected by mail

Concordia:??

I just got the Northwestern rejection too.

BUT yesterday I got a call from Mills and I'm accepted! :) Waiting to hear about financial aid...

Where did you hear this about Jessica Stockholder? I'm not sure your facts are correct.

There has not been a public press release yet that I can see, but the facts are quite correct - the school announced to admitted students.

Where did you hear this about Jessica Stockholder? I'm not sure your facts are correct.

For the USC applicants,

I just phoned both Roski and the general graduate department, and no decisions at all have been made, but people should start receiving calls by mid-March.

(Which might mean next week?)

Edited by bat

I'm not sure that major universities always make official announcements on faculty changes - there is a great deal of turnover in academia. U of C is one of the best overall universities in the country, I'm fairly sure they would not do something that is ethically questionable and outside of standard practice. This is professor, not a basketball coach.

Huh. That would be a huge loss to Yale. Thats on one hand smart to announce to admitted students but on the other hand very unethical pending an official announcement.

i can verify that she is leaving. as are peter halley in painting and tod papageorge in photo. someone's not doing a very good job of keeping their famous professors around..

Man, thats too bad. It happens to all the good departments at some point or another. Any word on who might be their replacements?

got accepted to MICA's Social Design program, via a phone call. We are supposed to find out about financial packages by the end of this week, or beginning of next one. I also applied to the GD MFA, I suppose the timing should be similar (fingers crossed for that one still)

...and now, an e-mail update from USC:

"We have received your application and other supporting materials. Our evaluators will conduct an academic evaluation of your file shortly and we will notify you if further information or materials are required. If not, your application will be forwarded to your graduate department for their review and admission decision.

The Office of Admission provides official notification of admission decisions by mail only. Because of the varied factors involved in the graduate department review process, we cannot give you an estimate of when you might expect the decision."