Fall 2024 Applicants

screwdriverfemme

Help me with something: I was admitted to the University of California in Santa Barbara and the University of Illinois in Urban Champagne. UCSB's offer appears to be very generous. I'm in doubt because the UIUC library is very good. Which would you choose and why?

47 minutes ago, I.C said:

Help me with something: I was admitted to the University of California in Santa Barbara and the University of Illinois in Urban Champagne. UCSB's offer appears to be very generous. I'm in doubt because the UIUC library is very good. Which would you choose and why?

I don’t know if I can tell you which I’d choose, but I can ask you some questions which I’d want to consider if I were making the choice! 

What are your research interests, and how do you feel the faculty lines up with them? Have you had the chance to talk to current grad students at either school? (If not, I very much recommend doing so, and asking them honest questions about their experiences both good and bad … and paying attention to their answers!) 

I would also definitely recommend taking into consideration the cost of living in both places! I’m no expert, but I very much imagine that Santa Barbara is more expensive to live in than that area of Illinois; so their offer may look more generous, but actually shake out similarly based on COL. 

9 hours ago, I.C said:

Congrats on the admits!! 🎉🥳 

As @screwdriverfemme mentioned, make sure you look up the cost of living! MIT has a pretty nifty website for that https://livingwage.mit.edu/. Also compare health insurance coverage an other potential fees you have to pay out of pocket.  As for libraries, it's fantastic to have a library with a good collection, but remember you can always make use of Inter-library loans and other similar services if the library doesn't have the books you need.

7 hours ago, kaiacelairev said:

Hi everyone! Has anyone heard back from BU yet? I had my interview late Jan and haven't heard anything since. Starting to worry as I've got my UK decisions back and need to confirm/reject offers :(

I got an unofficial offer from BU yesterday. I visited campus early this week as well (they invited me, it was a kind of interview/vibe check visit). 

2 minutes ago, screwdriverfemme said:

I got an unofficial offer from BU yesterday. I visited campus early this week as well (they invited me, it was a kind of interview/vibe check visit). 

Thanks for letting me know and congrats on your offer! I just got an email about scheduling a conversation with another faculty member next week (I'm an international applicant) 

11 hours ago, kaiacelairev said:

Thanks for letting me know and congrats on your offer! I just got an email about scheduling a conversation with another faculty member next week (I'm an international applicant) 

Of course — I hope it’s a little helpful! (And thank you!) I am American, so I can’t speak to how the international process goes, but that sounds like a promising email. I will also say I was applying for the PhD, not the master’s, so that may also change things (I imagine the process is different). 

4 hours ago, screwdriverfemme said:

Of course — I hope it’s a little helpful! (And thank you!) I am American, so I can’t speak to how the international process goes, but that sounds like a promising email. I will also say I was applying for the PhD, not the master’s, so that may also change things (I imagine the process is different). 

Definitely helpful, thank you! I've applied for the PhD as well :) Fingers crossed for any positive updates! 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, screwdriverfemme said:

How's everybody doing with waiting/decisionmaking/both? I committed to UCLA (my first choice!!) yesterday, and I'm thrilled. Today I've got to decline my other offer, which is necessary but also a little sad.

That's AWESOME! CONGRATS! 🥳

On 3/17/2024 at 11:21 AM, screwdriverfemme said:

How's everybody doing with waiting/decisionmaking/both? I committed to UCLA (my first choice!!) yesterday, and I'm thrilled. Today I've got to decline my other offer, which is necessary but also a little sad.

Congratulations on making that decision! For my part, I really, really want to commit to Michigan. I loved my visit there, and the support they are offering is truly incredible. I'm waiting to see what Cornell does, and I hope they tell people this week. NB that these are for their bridge MA programs, not PhDs (though Michigan carries that as part of the offer, not sure about Cornell anymore...). I know Michigan is a stronger program, but I have a few reasons I'd want to seriously think about Cornell too.

Edited by voxanonyma

On 3/17/2024 at 8:21 PM, screwdriverfemme said:

Amazing!! Congrats! I was waiting on hearing back about Oxford funding (very unlikely, unfortunately) but I will very likely accept my BU offer this week

Went for a visit last week and found out I'm officially waitlisted for that program.  Very disappointed as during the entire process, they kept making comments to people they introduced me to that they were trying to convince me to accept their offer.  This is the only school I've heard semi-good news from, and, as an international student, might be the only way I can stay in the US.  Frantically starting to look for jobs that are even remotely related to classics/archaeology/museums just in case I don't get off the waitlist.  

Second time applying for PhD programs and am really getting disheartened with this entire experience.

On 3/24/2024 at 6:48 PM, canyoudigit said:

Went for a visit last week and found out I'm officially waitlisted for that program.  Very disappointed as during the entire process, they kept making comments to people they introduced me to that they were trying to convince me to accept their offer.  This is the only school I've heard semi-good news from, and, as an international student, might be the only way I can stay in the US.  Frantically starting to look for jobs that are even remotely related to classics/archaeology/museums just in case I don't get off the waitlist.  

Second time applying for PhD programs and am really getting disheartened with this entire experience.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. They shouldn't have raised your hope like that. For what it's worth, it took me three rounds of applications before getting any acceptances from PhD programs. I wish I had better suggestions for you, but I really hope everything works out for you at the end. If you want to chat or just a place to vent, my DM is open!

On 3/17/2024 at 12:21 PM, screwdriverfemme said:

I'm still deciding! I will visit california soon and make a choice :D

On 3/24/2024 at 6:48 PM, canyoudigit said:

Hey, I feel you! The first time I applied I got into an MA program. The second time I was waitlisted at 3 programs and then rejected from all 3. The third time I was waitlisted at 2 programs and then rejected from both (even after a whole prospective weekend for one of them). This year, I applied for the fourth time despite not having much hope and I received acceptances from 6 places!!! (UW, UNC, UMich, Duke, Cornell, and Brown). So all I can say is have patience and perseverance and if this is actually what you want to do, don't give up! Also, it is important to remember that this does not define you as a person or a scholar!! If you need wanna talk more about this, feel free to DM me! 

8 hours ago, fall2020apps said:

Hey, I feel you! The first time I applied I got into an MA program. The second time I was waitlisted at 3 programs and then rejected from all 3. The third time I was waitlisted at 2 programs and then rejected from both (even after a whole prospective weekend for one of them). This year, I applied for the fourth time despite not having much hope and I received acceptances from 6 places!!! (UW, UNC, UMich, Duke, Cornell, and Brown). So all I can say is have patience and perseverance and if this is actually what you want to do, don't give up! Also, it is important to remember that this does not define you as a person or a scholar!! If you need wanna talk more about this, feel free to DM me! 

What an inspiring story!(?) Congratulations on your acceptances!! Have you more or less decided on which offer you're going to accept?? It's amazing you're holding 6 offers but it's also good to know which ones you're not going to accept so those on the waitlist can still have (a glimmer of) hope... I still haven't heard from Duke but at this time I'm assuming rejection.

Btw did you go to any of their recruitment week?

14 hours ago, Delululu said:

What an inspiring story!(?) Congratulations on your acceptances!! Have you more or less decided on which offer you're going to accept?? It's amazing you're holding 6 offers but it's also good to know which ones you're not going to accept so those on the waitlist can still have (a glimmer of) hope... I still haven't heard from Duke but at this time I'm assuming rejection.

Btw did you go to any of their recruitment week?

Thank you!!! I am still deciding between two places, but don't worry I already rejected/withdrawed from the other 4 offers, so I am not blocking a load of waitlist spots (I know more than most how excruciating being waitlisted can be). 

On 3/17/2024 at 10:21 AM, screwdriverfemme said:

Very exciting, I accepted Texas Tech's offer and then was offered another scholarship on top of my TA funding 😊😊

Congrats to everyone on getting accepted!!!

• 2 weeks later...