Fall 2024 Applicants

screwdriverfemme

@canyoudigit have you heard anything on the classics side from UChicago? I’m getting anxious 🤦‍♀️ I saw on the results page that someone received an interview request from Cincinnati classics. I feel as if I should have heard something from schools by now if they were still considering my application. 

4 minutes ago, PhdtoDig said:

@canyoudigit have you heard anything on the classics side from UChicago? I’m getting anxious 🤦‍♀️ I saw on the results page that someone received an interview request from Cincinnati classics. I feel as if I should have heard something from schools by now if they were still considering my application. 

Aside from Duke, I haven't heard anything from the other 5 schools I applied to.  Definitely starting on the freak out spiral.  But a lot of my professors keep telling me that no two schools are the same, they don't always release info to everyone at the same time and until you get a definite no, you are still in the running.  

I will say though that I'm at the point where I'm starting to look for jobs so that I can stay in the USA for another year before potentially applying again.  This is my second round with PhD applications and am starting to feel quite defeated.  

Edited by canyoudigit

6 minutes ago, PhdtoDig said:

I applied for classics at Chicago (philology) and haven’t heard anything either! I haven’t seen anyone posting anything about them, so my guess is that they haven’t reached out in general yet. And like everyone else has said, it’s not over til it’s over — plenty of time still to hear back. Don’t lose hope! 

On 1/15/2024 at 1:15 PM, fall2020apps said:

Asking for a friend: Has anyone heard anything from Duke, Brown, or UNC? 

Asking for me: Has anyone heard from UChicago or UMich? 

There seems to be nothing on the results page, but I don't know if that is because things are moving slower than normal or if people are just not posting. We both applied to Philology and Lit tracks for the most parts. I would appreciate any info! Have the interview requests been sent for any of these programs that you all know of? Thanks and Congrats to anyone who has received an interview! 

I don't know if someone has responded to you already about Brown, but I was talking to a philology prof today (i'm a new archaeology PhD student at Brown), and he said they just sent out interview invites. 

Good luck to you and your friend! I was where y'all are now last year. 

34 minutes ago, lithourgos said:

I don't know if someone has responded to you already about Brown, but I was talking to a philology prof today (i'm a new archaeology PhD student at Brown), and he said they just sent out interview invites. 

You don't happen to know anything the Brown History department, do you? I interviewed there in December, and since that crickets. No worries if not, but figured it was worth a shot! 

If anyone could advise it would be much appreciated: I’ve been invited to a campus visit in one week that falls in the middle of a professional commitment I have already made, and it would be a 15 hour flight from where I am now. Will not going and instead doing zoom interviews be really frowned on? I’m stressed about finding a way to make it work. Also, how many people are typically invited for visits when it’s not an official acceptance visit? Any input would be lovely, I’m a bit at a loss!

6 hours ago, talliwali said:

If anyone could advise it would be much appreciated: I’ve been invited to a campus visit in one week that falls in the middle of a professional commitment I have already made, and it would be a 15 hour flight from where I am now. Will not going and instead doing zoom interviews be really frowned on? I’m stressed about finding a way to make it work. Also, how many people are typically invited for visits when it’s not an official acceptance visit? Any input would be lovely, I’m a bit at a loss!

I also didn't attend the perspective visit last year but still got accepted to the program I'm currently in. I later found out I was the only applicant who didn't visit in person but had a Zoom interview instead. So it won't be a fundamental flaw as long as you do well in the interview, I guess? (But in my case, I was directly asked for a Zoom interview without being invited to a perspective weekend, so it's slightly different from your situation.)

Edited by Sisinnes

Not sure if the right thread but... when do MA programs generally get back to people (with admissions offers)? Seems like mid-February? And do those ever involve interviews / campus visits before accepting?

3 minutes ago, voxanonyma said:

Not sure if the right thread but... when do MA programs generally get back to people (with admissions offers)? Seems like mid-February? And do those ever involve interviews / campus visits before accepting?

Many MAs accept applications through mid-Feb, but they usually only take a few weeks to get back after that. I had an interview for UVM MA but none of the others. Never heard of one involving a campus visit. 

Best of luck!

3 minutes ago, confusedmedievalist said:

Many MAs accept applications through mid-Feb, but they usually only take a few weeks to get back after that. I had an interview for UVM MA but none of the others. Never heard of one involving a campus visit. 

Best of luck!

Thanks very much... I applied to virtually all the ones with good funding so now am just waiting, alongside a few PhDs and some unique one-year programs as well, and I have no context for when these programs come back (with admissions offers, anyway... I applied last year with much worse materials. Lol)

18 minutes ago, voxanonyma said:

Thanks very much... I applied to virtually all the ones with good funding so now am just waiting, alongside a few PhDs and some unique one-year programs as well, and I have no context for when these programs come back (with admissions offers, anyway... I applied last year with much worse materials. Lol)

I'm in the same boat as you!  Waitlisted by PhD programs last year but really hoping the post bacc year I'm doing turns everything around into offers!

11 hours ago, Sisinnes said:

I also didn't attend the perspective visit last year but still got accepted to the program I'm currently in. I later found out I was the only applicant who didn't visit in person but had a Zoom interview instead. So it won't be a fundamental flaw as long as you do well in the interview, I guess? (But in my case, I was directly asked for a Zoom interview without being invited to a perspective weekend, so it's slightly different from your situation.)

Thank you so much for your response! That makes a lot of sense, I suppose part of the trip is for prospective candidates to see the campus as well. So far the professors have been understanding and have kindly offered Zoom interviews instead.

15 minutes ago, Caeciliusestpater said:

Has anyone heard from Harvard or Michigan?

Can’t speak to Michigan, but nothing for me from Harvard (classical philology). I have heard of people getting interviews for the ancient history track, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the tracks interview/make decisions separately. (That’s what I’m hoping anyway!) 

On 1/29/2024 at 7:41 PM, lithourgos said:

Thanks so much! 

11 hours ago, latinboy said:

Interview with my #1 choice today! Does anyone have last minute points of advice? 

Congrats! In my interview, the professors literally only asked about my writing sample. I kind of mentioned in my application that I consider expanding it to my PhD studies as well, so that might be the reason. But I'd say to re-read your entire application and have a look at the professors recent publications, if possible. Also, try to come up with one or two questions for them - it shows you are interested in their program.