Fall 2024 Applicants

screwdriverfemme

6 hours ago, Immie said:

I applied for a different concentration (Art and Archaeology), but I have not recieved any interview requests. So I guess they already made the shortlists? I did have very optimistic talk with few professors before applying... 

It's not over till it's over. Hang on there! 

On 1/15/2024 at 1:15 PM, fall2020apps said:

Asking for a friend: Has anyone heard anything from Duke, Brown, or UNC? 

Asking for me: Has anyone heard from UChicago or UMich? 

There seems to be nothing on the results page, but I don't know if that is because things are moving slower than normal or if people are just not posting. We both applied to Philology and Lit tracks for the most parts. I would appreciate any info! Have the interview requests been sent for any of these programs that you all know of? Thanks and Congrats to anyone who has received an interview! 

I can only speak to UChicago, as that's the only place on your list where I applied (also in Philology), but I haven't heard anything either! I have been checking my email with great dread and enthusiasm.

On 1/15/2024 at 8:07 AM, AStark said:

Hi everyone! I’m applying to some PhD programs in Classics and I got an interview on Friday for Cornell. Do any of you know how this works there and about the odds to enter the program after receiving an invitation to interview? I know nothing about how this process works and I’ve been really anxious 

Hey, just had an interview in the department for the Art and Archaeology concentration! Was with the chair and he said that they interview by concentration and then submit their choices to a department-wide discussion that starts as early as tomorrow apparently. I feel you on the anxiety, best of luck to you 🙂

9 hours ago, screwdriverfemme said:

I can only speak to UChicago, as that's the only place on your list where I applied (also in Philology), but I haven't heard anything either! I have been checking my email with great dread and enthusiasm.

Thanks for responding! I am also anxiously checking my email and the waiting is getting to me a bit lol. UChicago usually sends out interview requests really early in my experience (as in first two weeks of Jan), but since there are no posts in the Results section either, maybe they are moving slower this year or have decided not to interview entirely? Who knows, this process is excruciating honestly. 

1 minute ago, fall2020apps said:

Thanks for responding! I am also anxiously checking my email and the waiting is getting to me a bit lol. UChicago usually sends out interview requests really early in my experience (as in first two weeks of Jan), but since there are no posts in the Results section either, maybe they are moving slower this year or have decided not to interview entirely? Who knows, this process is excruciating honestly. 

"Excruciating" is the exact correct descriptor, honestly!! The incredibly arcane and changeable nature of this process is ... not good for my nerves. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you in all of your apps, and keeping my fingers crossed that Chicago is just dragging their feet and we both end up with interviews!

51 minutes ago, screwdriverfemme said:

"Excruciating" is the exact correct descriptor, honestly!! The incredibly arcane and changeable nature of this process is ... not good for my nerves. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you in all of your apps, and keeping my fingers crossed that Chicago is just dragging their feet and we both end up with interviews!

Thank you! I send the same luck and wishes to you!! Maybe we will end up becoming colleagues at UChicago lol. 

9 hours ago, talliwali said:

Hey, just had an interview in the department for the Art and Archaeology concentration! Was with the chair and he said that they interview by concentration and then submit their choices to a department-wide discussion that starts as early as tomorrow apparently. I feel you on the anxiety, best of luck to you 🙂

Nice! Thank you for this information. Well, let’s wait, then. Best of luck to you too!

53 minutes ago, SimmiasOverCebes said:

Interview at Stanford, offered January 17th at 7pm EDT time.  Good luck all.

Congrats! Just wondering what track did you apply to/what's your speciality? And do you know if they have sent out all the interview requests? 

10 hours ago, fall2020apps said:

Congrats! Just wondering what track did you apply to/what's your speciality? And do you know if they have sent out all the interview requests? 

Thanks! Ancient history track. I have no idea at all if they sent other offers, sorry 😕

First rejection this cycle from Duke.  Was very surprised and disappointed as when I spoke with the director of the graduate program he all but said I was highly likely to be admitted.  Also applied to the Bridge to PhD program that they offer but the letter made no mention of that.  Emailed the school's grad admissions for clarification on the matter.

15 hours ago, canyoudigit said:

First rejection this cycle from Duke.  Was very surprised and disappointed as when I spoke with the director of the graduate program he all but said I was highly likely to be admitted.  Also applied to the Bridge to PhD program that they offer but the letter made no mention of that.  Emailed the school's grad admissions for clarification on the matter.

8 hours ago, Immie said:

Hey, has anyone heard anything from Yale classics yet? 

I'm so sorry @canyoudigit, but don't lose hope! There are still other possibilities, so fingers crossed!

@Immie I also haven't heard from Yale yet (although I definitely don't have hopes with it).

The only ones that I heard were WashU (got in) and UT at Austin (invited to visit the campus). So just to make sure, this visit to campus does not yet mean that I was accepeted into the program, right?

8 hours ago, Immie said:

Hey, has anyone heard anything from Yale classics yet? 

I did an interview for the History-Classics combined degree on 1/12, but have not heard a decision. I am uncertain if they were doing interviews for pure Classics at the same time. 

1 minute ago, confusedmedievalist said:

I did an interview for the History-Classics combined degree on 1/12, but have not heard a decision. I am uncertain if they were doing interviews for pure Classics at the same time. 

That's great! Did you apply through classics or history?

Anyone heard from UChicago or John Hopkins yet? U Michigan said they would send out something in mid February to a select few applicants, has anyone heard differently? I received an interview request from UPenn on Monday but that is the only one I have heard from so far. Does anyone know what to expect for that interview? I have heard they talk about your writing sample and ask more about your research interests.

12 minutes ago, Immie said:

That's great! Did you apply through classics or history?

History, which is why it may be different. 

4 minutes ago, PhdtoDig said:

Anyone heard from UChicago or John Hopkins yet? U Michigan said they would send out something in mid February to a select few applicants, has anyone heard differently? I received an interview request from UPenn on Monday but that is the only one I have heard from so far. Does anyone know what to expect for that interview? I have heard they talk about your writing sample and ask more about your research interests.

I think you're archeology and I'm ancient history, so there are probably differences. However I had a Michigan interview last Friday and a UPenn 2 weeks ago. Both, but Upenn especially, asked me about my research interests then quizzed me on my writing sample, kind of like if it was a defense or conference presentation. Best of luck!

12 minutes ago, PhdtoDig said:

No news from UChicago for me (I applied for classical philology). That’s the only one I can speak to from your list! 

1 hour ago, PhdtoDig said:

I have an interview at U Chicago, but I applied to the Anthropology department (archaeology subfield), so I can’t speak to the Classics department !  I don’t know if that responds to your question or not! Good luck in any case 🙂

Got offered a Zoom interview with BU! My first contact is from my latest-deadline program, lol ... hopefully they're just particularly on top of it, and it's not a bad sign for those earlier-deadline programs.

Wondering if anyone has heard anything from UCLA, Harvard, or University of Washington?