Fall 2024 Applicants

screwdriverfemme

11 hours ago, AStark said:

Just to let people know that I didn't get into Cornell, unfortunately - they didn't release the results, but I emailed the DGS asking about the timeline and he told me that I didn't get in. Well, that happens hahah good luck for the rest who applied!!

I'm really sorry to hear this. This was for the PhD program, right?

18 hours ago, AStark said:

Just to let people know that I didn't get into Cornell, unfortunately - they didn't release the results, but I emailed the DGS asking about the timeline and he told me that I didn't get in. Well, that happens hahah good luck for the rest who applied!!

Im sorry, that sucks after all the waiting especially! But I saw you have a visit soon so good luck with that !! 🙂

Did anyone on here apply to Yale Classics? I applied to the combined program through History, so I assumed I'd get my decision when the other History people did, but they rejections came out 2 days ago and I've heard nothing. I'm wondering if my decision will be more aligned with Classics, so if anyone applied and knows the timeline that's working on, it would be much appreciated. I'm still very anxious despite my acceptances, mostly because I don't want to start making decisions then have a new option come in and confuse me.... I am already confused enough!

1 hour ago, confusedmedievalist said:

Did anyone on here apply to Yale Classics? I applied to the combined program through History, so I assumed I'd get my decision when the other History people did, but they rejections came out 2 days ago and I've heard nothing. I'm wondering if my decision will be more aligned with Classics, so if anyone applied and knows the timeline that's working on, it would be much appreciated. I'm still very anxious despite my acceptances, mostly because I don't want to start making decisions then have a new option come in and confuse me.... I am already confused enough!

I heard today, in a very informal talk (like, the friend of my friend said that), they might release the results tomorrow for Classics... I'm also waiting (although I'm not at all optimistic haha)

14 hours ago, confusedmedievalist said:

I have noticed that a lot of the combined programs are on a different schedule from departmental programs. I think it’s because it’s easier for a single department faculty to meet up and discuss decisions versus the faculty from two or three different departments need to meet up and discuss decisions. At least that’s how one program described it to me and it makes sense. 

21 hours ago, confusedmedievalist said:

Yeah, apparently they are not releasing the results today lol sorry, I really thought that could happen because I heard from another person that it was likely that they would send the results today, but yeah, let's keep waiting

On 2/1/2024 at 2:59 PM, speminalium said:

Berkeley will finalize decisions by early next week - unclear whether this is just DAGRS or includes AHMA.

i am still waiting. 

On 2/1/2024 at 1:59 AM, speminalium said:

Berkeley will finalize decisions by early next week - unclear whether this is just DAGRS or includes AHMA.

24 minutes ago, ziy said:

i am still waiting. 

I don't know about DAGRS but AHMA decisions have been out for a few days. I suspect DAGRS should be soon if it hasn't happened yet because their visit days are supposed to be the same as AHMA. Best of luck!  

I got a rejection from DAGRS earlier in the week. And I know from a contact within the department that they have made their shortlist and notified those people. So if you haven't heard anything, that might be a rejection or a waitlist. 

Also, my friend texted me literally 7 minutes ago saying she got a rejection from Cornell. She is a classicist who applied to the Interdisciplinary track and she got a personal email from the Chair of the Department saying the competition was fierce and that they are very sorry they could not offer her admission. 

47 minutes ago, Caeciliusestpater said:

I was wondering if it was considered rude to reach out to schools to ask for updates or does it hurt your chances in anyway? If people have done it, what is the best way?

I've been advised to wait until later in the month for programs if nothing has been communicated yet --- like the last week or just before.

Does anyone know what to expect from a campus visit invite after an initial Zoom interview? A program is flying me out on Tuesday and hosting me but I'm still not admitted, do you think I'm going to have to go through another round of interviews or could this just be to check that I'm a good fit for the department? 

6 hours ago, latinboy said:

Does anyone know what to expect from a campus visit invite after an initial Zoom interview? A program is flying me out on Tuesday and hosting me but I'm still not admitted, do you think I'm going to have to go through another round of interviews or could this just be to check that I'm a good fit for the department? 

My school did this with me last year and yeah it was basically just checking for fit.

2 hours ago, PhdtoDig said:

To the UMichigan IPAMAA acceptance, how did the notify you? If you don’t mind sharing?

I'm not sure if you're referring to someone else's post but I received an offer from IPAMAA via an email from a professor! He said they only accepted 4 students this year.

27 minutes ago, speminalium said:

Did anyone else receive a Harvard rejection? I saw one in results, but I am waiting for mine since I've received no communication about interviews, etc.

For Ancient History at least, I know of one rejection going out so far, mid–last week, though I myself did not apply.

Also, I thought Harvard doesn't do interviews.

Edit: Anybody happen to have any info about the RSI at Harvard though? Timetable/etc.? It's one of my top programs, but I really hope they return a decision before April; there's a similar program at Yale that infamously takes until late April sometimes, if not May.

Edited by voxanonyma

4 hours ago, speminalium said:

Did anyone else receive a Harvard rejection? I saw one in results, but I am waiting for mine since I've received no communication about interviews, etc.

Also applied at Harvard for philology, also haven’t heard anything. No idea whether they usually do interviews or not, though. No rejection means we’re still in it, though!!