Fall 2024 Applicants

screwdriverfemme

Hi everybody! It's early in the season yet, but since this didn't exist yet ... I figured I'd start a thread for fall 2024 applicants. Welcome!

I'll be in it this application cycle; I've got a BA and an MA in Greek and Latin, and just graduated from my terminal MA last year. (I was originally planning on apps last year, but ... life happened.) I know for sure I'm applying to UChicago, UCLA, Boston University, and Bryn Mawr ... plus one or two more apps TBD. Would love to hear from other applicants or folks who have been through the process!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for making this!!  This'll be round two for me when it comes to PhD applications.  I have a BA in Classical Studies/Greek and Roman Archaeology, and an MSc in Classical Art and Archaeology.  Still trying to figure out the list of schools I'm going to apply to next year after being rejected/waitlisted last year.  

On 9/19/2023 at 3:25 PM, canyoudigit said:

Still trying to figure out the list of schools I'm going to apply to next year after being rejected/waitlisted last year.  

I know the feeling! I applied a total of three rounds. All rejections the first time around (I still remember exactly where I was when I got the last two rejections back to back 🙁). Only one admit in the second round, but it's a funded MA so that's awesome. Did much better the third time and got into my current program. Fingers crossed for you! 🤞

On 9/21/2023 at 9:31 AM, JMAurelius said:

@screwdriverfemme thanks for starting this thread!  What are your areas of interest?

The big one is Greek drama, especially tragedy, and especially in the context of performance studies! I'm also into lyric poetry in both languages (especially Roman love elegy), ancient magic, and reception studies.

On 9/19/2023 at 3:25 PM, canyoudigit said:

Thanks for making this!!  This'll be round two for me when it comes to PhD applications.  I have a BA in Classical Studies/Greek and Roman Archaeology, and an MSc in Classical Art and Archaeology.  Still trying to figure out the list of schools I'm going to apply to next year after being rejected/waitlisted last year.  

Good luck and all best wishes from here!! I know it often takes a couple rounds of applications - especially frustrating when you have already done a Master's, too! Are you planning on re-applying to any that didn't work out last year?

Edited by screwdriverfemme

18 hours ago, Maizi2024 said:

Does anyone have any idea about Duke Kunshan University's graduate programs? It seems like students can get the same degree with less cost.

Hmm, they don't have any graduate program in the Classics.  This might not be the best place to ask that question. You can probably get better answers from other forums more related to you field. Best of luck!

Edit: typo

Edited by JMAurelius

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2023 at 6:05 PM, screwdriverfemme said:

Good luck and all best wishes from here!! I know it often takes a couple rounds of applications - especially frustrating when you have already done a Master's, too! Are you planning on re-applying to any that didn't work out last year?

Thanks!!  I *think* I'm applying to one school where I was waitlisted, but the rest are ones that weren't really taking archaeology students last year but are this year.  Currently dealing with an advisor that's not actually advising which is lovely, especially when he's supposed to organize my reference letters for me🙃

• 1 month later...

Hello all, 

Have any of you who've done this before ever heard anything before the New Year, even with early December deadlines? I always thought no one did, but then I saw on Brown's (History) website that all interviews are done before Jan. 1, and am wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this. This is my third time going through the process, but since I've never gotten far enough to get anything but a rejection mid-February, it's hard to let go of the refreshing my email constantly hoping for an interview request or something. If the waiting is killing me now, I'm going to be a complete basket case in two months. Any thought? 

On 12/10/2023 at 9:35 PM, confusedmedievalist said:

Hello all, 

Have any of you who've done this before ever heard anything before the New Year, even with early December deadlines? I always thought no one did, but then I saw on Brown's (History) website that all interviews are done before Jan. 1, and am wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this. This is my third time going through the process, but since I've never gotten far enough to get anything but a rejection mid-February, it's hard to let go of the refreshing my email constantly hoping for an interview request or something. If the waiting is killing me now, I'm going to be a complete basket case in two months. Any thought? 

Re: my own question. I just got an interview request from Brown, but doing them before Christmas is a new thing to try and get answers out earlier, and not normal. 

5 hours ago, confusedmedievalist said:

Re: my own question. I just got an interview request from Brown, but doing them before Christmas is a new thing to try and get answers out earlier, and not normal. 

Congrats on the interview invite! 🥳🎉

Even with an early December deadline, that's pretty fast.  All the PhD programs I applied to had a 12/15 deadline, and the earliest I heard back from was in January.  The fastest turn around for me was with one of the MA programs.  I got an interview invite a couple of days after the application deadline, and another week later I got the result.  

Best of luck with the Brown interview!  Here's to more good news!! 😄🤞

On 12/10/2023 at 9:35 PM, confusedmedievalist said:

Hello all, 

It took me two rounds of applications to get into a funded MA and a third round to get any PhD acceptances.  So I know the feelings!  I wish I could tell you how to best deal with all the waiting and anxiety.  Sadly I never quite figured that out.  But I'm rooting for you and everyone else!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I’m applying to some PhD programs in Classics and I got an interview on Friday for Cornell. Do any of you know how this works there and about the odds to enter the program after receiving an invitation to interview? I know nothing about how this process works and I’ve been really anxious 

3 hours ago, AStark said:

Hi everyone! I’m applying to some PhD programs in Classics and I got an interview on Friday for Cornell. Do any of you know how this works there and about the odds to enter the program after receiving an invitation to interview? I know nothing about how this process works and I’ve been really anxious 

Hey, congratulations on the interview? Might I ask, which concentration did you apply for?

Oh, also - did you get an invititation from the DGS or a POI?

Edited by Immie

6 hours ago, Immie said:

Hey, congratulations on the interview? Might I ask, which concentration did you apply for?

Oh, also - did you get an invititation from the DGS or a POI?

Thank you! I applied for Classical Philology and Literature. The invitation came from the DGS, actually. The interview was very technical - they basically only asked about my writing sample because I consider expanding it to my PhD studies as well. Three professors interviewed me, and they were all very kind, though also very formal. When I asked, the DGS said that they intend to make decisions by the end of January. Now I'm waiting... 

7 minutes ago, AStark said:

Thank you! I applied for Classical Philology and Literature. The invitation came from the DGS, actually. The interview was very technical - they basically only asked about my writing sample because I consider expanding it to my PhD studies as well. Three professors interviewed me, and they were all very kind, though also very formal. When I asked, the DGS said that they intend to make decisions by the end of January. Now I'm waiting... 

Ahh alright. Nice to hear! I am sure it will be alright!

I applied for a different concentration (Art and Archaeology), but I have not recieved any interview requests. So I guess they already made the shortlists? I did have very optimistic talk with few professors before applying... 

Did anyone else apply for the Art and Archaeology concentration? 

Edited by Immie

2 hours ago, AStark said:

Three professors interviewed me, and they were all very kind, though also very formal. When I asked, the DGS said that they intend to make decisions by the end of January. Now I'm waiting... 

The people at Cornell Classics are awesome. Fingers crossed for you! 🤞

2 hours ago, Immie said:

Ahh alright. Nice to hear! I am sure it will be alright!

I applied for a different concentration (Art and Archaeology), but I have not recieved any interview requests. So I guess they already made the shortlists? I did have very optimistic talk with few professors before applying... 

Did anyone else apply for the Art and Archaeology concentration? 

Don't lose hope, maybe they are still working on the shortlist - there's no way to know. And I don't know if they really interview all the candidates that they accept, so you might still have a shot! Good luck, anyways

Asking for a friend: Has anyone heard anything from Duke, Brown, or UNC? 

Asking for me: Has anyone heard from UChicago or UMich? 

There seems to be nothing on the results page, but I don't know if that is because things are moving slower than normal or if people are just not posting. We both applied to Philology and Lit tracks for the most parts. I would appreciate any info! Have the interview requests been sent for any of these programs that you all know of? Thanks and Congrats to anyone who has received an interview!