2024 Applicants

PopCultureScholar

Hello everyone!

I saw a post from  @mstaylor, who started a thread about where they are applying, intending to create camaraderie within the education circle

Where is everyone applying? Please share your results, thoughts, stats, and comments. 

I have applied to the Doctor of Education (online) in The Digital Age Learning and Educational Technology area of interest at Johns Hopkins, the Doctor of Education in Curriculum and Instruction (online) area of emphasis in Instructional Design and Technology at UVA, and the Doctor of Education in Instructional Technology & Media from Teachers College.  I also applied to the Ed.D. in Educational Technology from Boise State for my "safety" program. 

Edited by PopCultureScholar
Citation and Clairty

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2023 at 12:54 PM, PopCultureScholar said:

Hello everyone!

I saw a post from  @mstaylor, who started a thread about where they are applying, intending to create camaraderie within the education circle

Where is everyone applying? Please share your results, thoughts, stats, and comments. 

I have applied to the Doctor of Education (online) in The Digital Age Learning and Educational Technology area of interest at Johns Hopkins, the Doctor of Education in Curriculum and Instruction (online) area of emphasis in Instructional Design and Technology at UVA, and the Doctor of Education in Instructional Technology & Media from Teachers College.  I also applied to the Ed.D. in Educational Technology from Boise State for my "safety" program. 

I have been accepted into my first program of the season. Boise State admitted me via early review. The program is 60 credits, and they will transfer around 21 credits from my second Master's. The funding is sparse, and I am waiting on Scholarship decisions, but it is cheap enough that if I don't get anything, my work benefits will cover 90% of the cost. Adjuncting around three courses over the next few years would cover the rest of the price. I still have my fingers crossed that I get accepted into one of the top 20 with full funding. I guess I will find out in the coming months. 

12 hours ago, PopCultureScholar said:

I have been accepted into my first program of the season. Boise State admitted me via early review. The program is 60 credits, and they will transfer around 21 credits from my second Master's. The funding is sparse, and I am waiting on Scholarship decisions, but it is cheap enough that if I don't get anything, my work benefits will cover 90% of the cost. Adjuncting around three courses over the next few years would cover the rest of the price. I still have my fingers crossed that I get accepted into one of the top 20 with full funding. I guess I will find out in the coming months. 

Congratulations!!! You must feel a huge sense of relief. What an exciting way to start off the holiday season :) 

On 12/21/2023 at 11:53 AM, PopCultureScholar said:

Congratulations on the good news!

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, educationandcoffee said:

Hope the waiting season is going well for everyone so far! 

I have one acceptance so far and two interviews but haven't heard anything yet from my remaining six! Anyone else have updates? 

Oh, yay!! So exciting for you. Where did you get accepted?

I haven’t heard anything back on my application. Only the beginning of the month so I’m trying not to let myself get into a frenzy 🤪.

I applied to EdD programs for Hopkins, Indiana University, and University of Illinois.  I have a public health background and now looking to get a better understanding of adult education and online learning platforms. My role has moved from community education to professional development training and so need to keep up with the changing times of virtual learning. 

Best of luck to everyone!!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I received an interview request for the Doctor of Education (online) at Johns Hopkins. I have completed it, but I don't know how I did it; it was recorded, so I could not read body language. I believe I will hear back in March, which feels years away.

As of today, the Doctor of Education in Instructional Technology & Media at Teachers College is 'still reviewing the application pool.' Looks like programs at Teachers College have already started to release decisions; I saw on Linkedin that someone posted their linguistics acceptance. 

The Doctor of Education in Curriculum and Instruction (online) at UVA has not closed its applications yet, so don't expect to hear back until March.

Unsure about Penn GSE, I applied to the Teaching, Learning, and Teacher Education Ed.D. program - I assume I will hear in March. 

38 minutes ago, SoCalGurl said:

@PopCultureScholar I just received an email today from Hopkins to start my assessment and then continues to say that I need to complete the interview by 2/14.  Did you have to complete an assessment as well?

Mine was also called an assessment, just a recorded video interview. I assume they watch them back later. I had until Feb 2nd to complete it. I did it on the Monday after getting the invite on a Friday night just to get it done. I wonder if they send these out by when apps are submitted/completed. I finished mine in early/mid-October. Also, I believe in the intro video for the assessment oe of the faculty members says we will hear back in March if it is accepted.  So it is a waiting game. 

2 hours ago, PopCultureScholar said:

Mine was also called an assessment, just a recorded video interview. I assume they watch them back later. I had until Feb 2nd to complete it. I did it on the Monday after getting the invite on a Friday night just to get it done. I wonder if they send these out by when apps are submitted/completed. I finished mine in early/mid-October. Also, I believe in the intro video for the assessment oe of the faculty members says we will hear back in March if it is accepted.  So it is a waiting game. 

Congrats on getting it done!

Yea, that's probably true.  I sent my application in the beginning of Jan. I have until 2/14 to complete mine the interview. I'm going to do it next Friday - hopefully that will be enough time to get the jitters out and think of some substantive responses.   Any tips for this fellow hopeful?

On 1/31/2024 at 5:35 PM, SoCalGurl said:

Yea, that's probably true.  I sent my application in the beginning of Jan. I have until 2/14 to complete mine the interview. I'm going to do it next Friday - hopefully that will be enough time to get the jitters out and think of some substantive responses.   Any tips for this fellow hopeful?

Thanks, and good luck with it! Who knows, maybe we will end up classmates. :) 

On 1/31/2024 at 5:35 PM, SoCalGurl said:

I got an email today titled "Doctorate of Education Scholarship and Financial Aid." It asked me to apply for FASFA to be considered for need-based tuition scholarships. Still, there is no word on acceptance, and the email says while the application is under review, please review the following information... it then says to apply before March 1st. I am not doing an application before I get accepted and have the decision on merit scholarships. This is mainly because Mohela is bound to do something stupid with my PSLF account once they get a notice I am going back to school. I reached out to them and asked for a better timeline. I will let you know when I hear back. 

@PopCultureScholar I got that email as well and the invitation to a webinar.  I will probably sit in on the webinar just to see what is available.  I hear you about Mohela.  We have just got to see eye to eye and I have 9 payments left so definitely do not want to poke the bear. Did they get back to you about timeline?

I am going to complete the interview today.  Wish me luck!! 

On 2/12/2024 at 10:03 AM, SoCalGurl said:

@PopCultureScholar I got that email as well and the invitation to a webinar.  I will probably sit in on the webinar just to see what is available.  I hear you about Mohela.  We have just got to see eye to eye and I have 9 payments left so definitely do not want to poke the bear. Did they get back to you about timeline?

I am going to complete the interview today.  Wish me luck!! 

Good luck! You got this! 

@PopCultureScholar no need for apologies I totally get it!  I feel like these past weeks are dragging!

I got accepted yesterday to the EdD program at Indiana Univ. Bloomington for Instructional Systems Technology.  I am interested in looking at how art can work as  communication medium to help those with low literacy levels improve their health outcomes. They have the opportunity to receive a minor in art education which I am excited about.  Still crossing my fingers for Hopkins tho.