MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

General question for all of us:

We're now having follow-up discussions with directors after being accepted. What are you focusing on during these discussions?

I'll start:

- Asking what they see in my work and how I can contribute. Essentially, "Why did you choose me?"

- There methodology for mentorship.

- Can I sit-in on any classes or group crits.

Please share :)

1 hour ago, ArtsyAF said:

Wow, that is super encouraging and so great for them! Thanks for the insight!

I sent an email earlier so we will see what happens and I will keep you all updated on if its successful or not😬

I know my friend negotiated w the admissions office. Not the AIRs 

45 minutes ago, Lojjjsp said:

Any columbia painting updates? Havent seen anyone hear back post interviews 

Nothing from painting here either. Interviewed 2wks ago. Only heard about offers in other disciplines.

7 hours ago, ohoh said:

A question from the POV of someone hoping to get off a waitlist: have people been given a date that they have to accept an offer by? Does anyone have a sense of when you’ll   decline offers you know you aren’t interested in?

heyy, majority of offers need to be accepted by April 15th. But programs encourage you to accept as soon as possible. I personally might decline offers end of March/ 1st week of April based on how this phase of the process is looking (trying to get a good view on the real finances of various schools, visiting the schools etc), it feels awful to prolong it so long but I don't want to take offers off the table just yet until I accept something.

11 hours ago, rixxie25 said:

Nothing from painting here either. Interviewed 2wks ago. Only heard about offers in other disciplines.

I haven’t heard anything either. I’d be very surprised if painting was the only department not to have sent early informal acceptances. The three of us only represent a small sample of painting interviewees. Hope I’m wrong.

1 hour ago, sweet dreams said:

Wondering if anyone who was accepted to Cranbrook Painting has received their official letter & finance package? I have only received an email from the department head telling me that I got in

I’m waiting for my official letter and finance package too!! I hope we receive them soon 

3 hours ago, freshman2024 said:

anyone that interviewed with rutgers have a timeline? they're on break this week so kind of assuming it won't be until at least next. 

oh i didn't realize they're on break, i've been anxiously waiting hahaha - thanks for update! i'm unclear on timing as well, design said by end of month

24 minutes ago, yosemite119 said:

Nope, still haven't heard anything...

Just rechecked the website, it says “Receive your decision starting mid-March” for Design at least, so hopefully we all can expect decisions on the next week.. 

Hey all, I got into SAIC and really would like to attend but finding/lack of scholarship is my main issue. I tried contacting the painting department’s “counselor” (meaning assistant director) so I’m currently waiting for them to reply but this whole process is really bringing me down, any thoughts on how to manage that kind of stress or resources to for outside scholarships? 

thank you and good luck to all :)

Hey guys,

So I had applied to RISD, SAIC, Parsons, Gothenburg and Aalto. So far, I have been accepted by SAIC and RISD. Rejected by Aalto. I am an internationational student applying for the first time for an MFA. I dont even have a prior art background like a BFA, i come from tech. MFA is an opportunity for me to switch careers formally. So I had a few questions I wanted to ask. If anyone on here would be able to offer any useful insights based on their experience and understanding it would be so very helpful :)

Although, I am leaning towards RISD, I wanted to get an idea about the schools before I commit. What is your opinion about RISD and SAIC as art schools? What do you like or not like about them? Other than personal preferences, what do you look at before chosing a school? What kind of a reputation do these schools have? 

Hey, everyone! Just wanted to share that I got accepted into the SAIC fiber program(no scholarship), but unfortunately, I can't attend due to a lack of money (not a US citizen so I cannot apply for FAFSA). The response from SAIC is to ask me to reapply next year. If anyone has similar experience and is willing to give me some advice, I would appreciate it! Also, if you guys decide to reapply for MFA, what do you do for a living while preparing?