MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

10 hours ago, freakout2024 said:

weird....still nothing from Hunter. can't tell if that is good or bad.

where is everyone seeing their rejections/acceptances for hunter? is it in the application portal?

Same here :(

8 hours ago, rongrong said:

idk what that means considering people have already been rejected and also accepted or waitlisted. I just checked my portal and it still says "submitted"

when is the last day they have to notify us by?

Accepted my offer from SUNY Purchase today! I loved the program when I visited a couple of weeks ago, so I'm excited for this new chapter. I'm also excited to pursue an MFA without going into debt, and the program offered a good deal of funding with the acceptance, and even bumped it up a bit a week and a half ago (no word on financial aid yet though).

I thought it would be appropriate to get a bit personal here. I applied to MFA programs a few times in the 2010s (last time in 2019), with only one acceptance to show for it. These results, combined with the pandemic, left me demoralized and really stifled me creatively, to the point where I produced virtually nothing art-wise for about three years. I thought I was on the outs for good artistically, and that I was going to have to reorient my life in a totally different direction career-wise. Then a personal event in 2022 shook me to my core, and this inspired me to really dig deep inside myself, find my true voice, and get back to creating. I applied to programs with this 2022/23 work, and I'm very gratified to have gotten into two programs I really loved.

It took a few hours for the reality that I'm going to finally be an MFA candidate to sink in today, and when it did, my breath was taken away. Congrats to everyone here on their acceptances. But even more importantly, to those here nursing disappointment: honor your feelings in this moment, and do what you need to take care of yourself, whether that be making art, running, cooking, baking, watching films/tv shows, spending time with friends/family/pets, etc. But remember this feeling, and make it into art when you're ready. When you apply to programs again and get into one that's right for you, it'll be all the more sweet after living through this moment. 

Edited by RadicalDreamers

got accepted to

Pratt Digital Media - Interactive Art offers an annual scholarship of $32,000,

CalArts Art and Tech provides $22,000 annually,

and SAIC Art and Tech offers $14,000 per year.

Which one should I choose? Can you guys recommend, with reasons?

Just so you know, I'm an international student who has been working in sculpture in the fine arts field for a while, but now feeling burnt out and looking to transition into a more practical field like agencies.

2 hours ago, kkkkkkkkk said:

got accepted to

Pratt Digital Media - Interactive Art offers an annual scholarship of $32,000,

CalArts Art and Tech provides $22,000 annually,

and SAIC Art and Tech offers $14,000 per year.

Which one should I choose? Can you guys recommend, with reasons?

Just so you know, I'm an international student who has been working in sculpture in the fine arts field for a while, but now feeling burnt out and looking to transition into a more practical field like agencies.

I also got accepted to Pratt digital media! Do you know anything about the program? I feel like there isn't too much info in way of cohort, studio facilities, etc!

hey guys, i was wondering if anyone had any advice on what usually happens after i accept? i'm also having a hard time understanding my financial package. it's saying only 1,500 for quarterly tuition. is that bad or low? should i try to negotiate? i don't want to seem stupid to them by asking so many questions. 

On 3/29/2024 at 3:26 AM, Stormy2226 said:

Hello, I'm considering pursuing an MA in Painting at RCA London or an MFA in Painting at Cranbrook. Has anyone completed an MA and then applied for an MFA after?

Thanks so much for any input - Still waiting on Bard decision.

Congratulations on both offers!

I haven’t completed an MA, I just thought I’d share what answers I received from instructors and older peers to similar questions I had earlier on in the application season.

From what I understand, in many cases an MA can be a very similar experience to an MFA depending on the institution and type of program. The general idea I got was that the difference is usually in how much flexibility you have and what their expectations are for candidate’s to sustain self directed work. An MA will help you find a direction and your unique voice as an artist- so it can be seen as a facilitating precursor to an MFA. An MFA is more likely to give you the time, space and community to refine or grow into an already determined direction/voice. 

I’m sure everyone has a very unique experience with their postgrad studies, but this was the general takeaway and the advice I used myself, to choose potential programs to apply to.
For context, I accepted my offer from the Painting department at Cranbrook last week :) 

Hi all! This was my second year applying to MFAs.

This year I only applied to one school - the university of Maryland, and I was accepted! It is fully funded, so tuition is totally covered, and they are giving me a stipend of approx $28,000 each year  

I used my experience applying last year to figure out what I want in an MFA program, and I found the one school that fit everything I was looking for.

I kind of stumbled upon Maryland’s program and tbh, I think people are sleeping on this MFA program. And for people applying again next year, I highly recommend looking into it.

It is a 3 year, studio based program, where you work directly with two faculty members each semester. It is right outside of Washington DC and close to Baltimore. You are awarded a full graduate assistantship, which consist of TAing and shop monitor hours. You can be an instructor of record if you want, or just continue TAing if that’s more your speed. They paid for the 5 admitted students to visit a few weeks ago. The studios are sizable and everyone (current students and faculty) was all very welcoming. 

good luck, everyone, with your upcoming decisions! xx 

Congrats to the VCU admits, they emailed to say the waitlist was closed, crushing my fragile dreams of going to VCU

I'm holding off accepting my offers until UT Austin, Alfred, and Northwestern close their waitlists so if you're planning on not attending those, save me some time and tell them today, I'll DoorDash you a bubble tea or something for your trouble lol

1 hour ago, Ouiallo said:

Congrats to the VCU admits, they emailed to say the waitlist was closed, crushing my fragile dreams of going to VCU

I'm holding off accepting my offers until UT Austin, Alfred, and Northwestern close their waitlists so if you're planning on not attending those, save me some time and tell them today, I'll DoorDash you a bubble tea or something for your trouble lol

Just pulled out of my alfred spot! Hope you hear from them soon!

34 minutes ago, Abandonsleep said:

Just pulled out of my alfred spot! Hope you hear from them soon!

Oh nice! Where'd you end up accepting??

Were you ceramics or glass? I'm general sculpture so only two spots for us!

Just now, Ouiallo said:

Oh nice! Where'd you end up accepting??

Were you ceramics or glass? I'm general sculpture so only two spots for us!

I was general sculpture as well! currently debating between MICA's sculpture program or Pratt's digital art program! Very much have no idea what im going to do:-) 

alfred was a little too rural for me but it is absolutely beautiful and an amazing program! 

7 minutes ago, Abandonsleep said:

I was general sculpture as well! currently debating between MICA's sculpture program or Pratt's digital art program! Very much have no idea what im going to do:-) 

alfred was a little too rural for me but it is absolutely beautiful and an amazing program! 

I was really torn on the rural-ness. On one hand, I don't like being around other people. On the other hand, I love being around other people. 

2 minutes ago, Ouiallo said:

I was really torn on the rural-ness. On one hand, I don't like being around other people. On the other hand, I love being around other people. 

I was in a very similar place and after talking to a bunch of old professors I think I decided that I potentially would go crazy if I didn't have the option of being around other people, or seeing the more contemporary art I'm interested in. I wish I was the kinda artist that would pick their amazing facilities over my general well-being, but I definitely think I need to be in a city! 

16 minutes ago, Abandonsleep said:

I was in a very similar place and after talking to a bunch of old professors I think I decided that I potentially would go crazy if I didn't have the option of being around other people, or seeing the more contemporary art I'm interested in. I wish I was the kinda artist that would pick their amazing facilities over my general well-being, but I definitely think I need to be in a city! 

Did they talk about how engaged Alfred is with art as a whole? It's hard to tell, and I didnt' really get a great answer during my interview. 

On 3/29/2024 at 1:18 AM, rongrong said:

so i still have nothing in my application portal or email. I called grad admissions (but not the art dep directly) and was told I am waitlisted. I haven't received any notification personally so I wonder if that is an internal decision indicating that I am higher on the waitlist that the people they already notified? who knows. If so I'm not too bummed because I have other offers and have also secured a Fulbright for painting for the fall

I called the art department directly and left a message.

Have you heard anything?

44 minutes ago, Ouiallo said:

Did they talk about how engaged Alfred is with art as a whole? It's hard to tell, and I didnt' really get a great answer during my interview. 

Hmmmm engaged with what way? The impression I got was they are primarily quite formal with the work that comes out of their program. I know they take trips to NYC every once in a while, but generally its incredibly focused on technique and not so much about their place in contemporary art, if that makes sense? While technique is very important to me, I definitely would like to be around a more contemporary working space!! 

I think its a relatively hands off program?? Like you come in with your ideas and ask for the help you need and just do your thing, which is not what I am looking for personally! 

36 minutes ago, Abandonsleep said:

Hmmmm engaged with what way? The impression I got was they are primarily quite formal with the work that comes out of their program. I know they take trips to NYC every once in a while, but generally its incredibly focused on technique and not so much about their place in contemporary art, if that makes sense? While technique is very important to me, I definitely would like to be around a more contemporary working space!! 

I think its a relatively hands off program?? Like you come in with your ideas and ask for the help you need and just do your thing, which is not what I am looking for personally! 

I suppose in the sense that they invite curators, artists, etc. into the university. 

I think we have roughly the same impression. I'm interested in a hands-off program which is why I was so glad Rutgers took me, because it is very DIY, and does have excellent facilities, but is next to NYC. 

Lots to think about.