Fall 2024 Admissions

siubhan

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 12:10 PM, siubhan said:

I know it's still early, but I wanted to go ahead and start this thread. Where are you all applying to? How is everything going so far?

Hello! Thank you for starting this thread. I am still in the early stage, revising statements and emailing professors to ask if they accept new students. I do suggest sending an email, as one of my best matched professors told me they would retire later this academic year and the department website said nothing about this. On the other hand, has anyone noticed professors are not actively replying to emails? Some just copied paragraphs from the Q&A. I applied for other programs before and usually I could get some suggestions. I am not sure whether this is normal in anthropology.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for starting this! I'm applying to eight schools, mostly in the Northeast where I'm currently located.

In no particular order:

1. Boston University
  2. Brandeis University
  3. Brown University
  4. Cornell
  5. Harvard (applying to American Studies as their Anth program isn't accepting applicants this year)
  6. University of Washington
  7. University of Pennsylvania 
  8. UC Santa Cruz

Best of luck everyone!

On 10/16/2023 at 5:07 PM, Tia_2023 said:

Hello! Thank you for starting this thread. I am still in the early stage, revising statements and emailing professors to ask if they accept new students. I do suggest sending an email, as one of my best matched professors told me they would retire later this academic year and the department website said nothing about this. On the other hand, has anyone noticed professors are not actively replying to emails? Some just copied paragraphs from the Q&A. I applied for other programs before and usually I could get some suggestions. I am not sure whether this is normal in anthropology.

Some programs have decided to level the playing field by not responding to emails or reading through an applicant's statement of purpose until after they have applied. It's one of those "hidden curriculum" things that a prospective student should reach out to faculty ahead of applying, and not every student is aware of this unless you have connections (and not everyone has those connections). One student told me that you may actually get a heap of replies after you actually submit your application, but not as much right now. Some professors may respond and say they're retiring, or going on sabbatical, in an effort to save you an application fee. So don't be discouraged if you don't hear back any time soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi friends!! happy holidays and best of luck through the app process. i've applied to six programs, all either cultural or med anth (in no particular order):

1. Emory

2. Northwestern

3. NYU

4. Yale

5. University of Washington

6. Pittsburgh

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! 
It's technically my second round applying but sort of my first actual round since I had a recommender who couldn't submit their letter at the last minute during my first time around. I applied to the following 4 programs all for the archaeology subfield: 

1. University of Georgia (interviewed with them last week)
  2. University of Michigan
  3. UC Berkeley
  4. UC Santa Barbara 

Good luck everybody!! 

Hi, this is my first round, and I applied to 5 programs in the sociocultural subfield. It appears that Brown University has begun conducting interviews. Has anyone received a request? I'm curious if they've only requested interviews for the archaeology subfield or if they have extended invitations for the sociocultural track. Good luck everyone! 

Hey all! I've applied to Uni of Washington, Johns Hopkins, Indiana University Bloomington, UC Davis, and MIT. Haven't heard back from anyone about interviews yet, though it might be early in the season 🤧

33 minutes ago, Tia_2023 said:

Anyone know whether Brown, Duke, UM, and Yale have sent out interviews? I see posts but am not sure they are true.

Likewise, haven't come across anyone who has received invites from UM, Yale or CUNY so not sure if those result updates are untrue or they're not very active on here haha! 

9 minutes ago, titus_sloan said:

Likewise, haven't come across anyone who has received invites from UM, Yale or CUNY so not sure if those result updates are untrue or they're not very active on here haha! 

44 minutes ago, Tia_2023 said:

Anyone know whether Brown, Duke, UM, and Yale have sent out interviews? I see posts but am not sure they are true.

I got Duke's interview invitation 2 days ago and interviewed just now

Okay just remembered I made this thread lmao. I ended up applying to South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Kansas, NC State, Georgia, and Wichita State. Seeing that people got interview invites from Georgia gave me a heart attack but hopefully they were just for cultural.

21 hours ago, IndyJ said:

Hi! 
It's technically my second round applying but sort of my first actual round since I had a recommender who couldn't submit their letter at the last minute during my first time around. I applied to the following 4 programs all for the archaeology subfield: 

1. University of Georgia (interviewed with them last week)
  2. University of Michigan
  3. UC Berkeley
  4. UC Santa Barbara 

Good luck everybody!! 

Damn you interviewed at georgia for archaeology :( does that mean I am not getting in if I did not get an invite?

13 hours ago, titus_sloan said:

Hey, just saw this forum is picking up so checking in. The results page says that Michigan and CUNY have sent out invites already. Has anyone here heard from them? Also, how is everyone's cycle coming along? 

I applied to U-Mich last year and I'm not actually sure they interview anyone? I ended up straight on the waitlist sans interview. I was archaeology if that helps.

I applied to UCSB, University of Illinois at Chicago, Washington University, UCB, and University of Georgia. I interviewed at UGA for archaeology last week too. I'm not sure if they sent out all the interview invites already, but they did mention having another couple weeks of interviews before reaching final decisions.

15 minutes ago, siubhan said:

Damn you interviewed at georgia for archaeology :( does that mean I am not getting in if I did not get an invite?

They did say that the online interview was the "next step of the admissions process" in the email to schedule the interview - but you never know! They said they'd be doing interviews over the next couple of weeks and if I remember right said that people would be hearing back by the end of February. But maybe take that with a grain of salt bc I was incredibly nervous and it was v early in the morning for me.