SSHRC CGS-D & Doctoral Fellowships 2024-2025

thejorts

13 minutes ago, sammyjo78 said:

Got funded CGS D Committee 3 letter B and my score was 10.84 found out last night and still in shock it feels so surreal to be funded for 36 months now, no more yearly scholarship application stress :) 

Did you just get your answer as a B?? Just asking for us L-Z....

5 hours ago, foucult said:

These are the results for committee 3E: Applications: 97 Fellowships Offered:  41 (432.3%) Fellowships  Not Offered:  56 (57.7%)

This was my committee. Unfortunately I didn't receive funding this round. My score was 10.46. 

Congratulations Foucult on getting your funding! I hope that budget passes through for you!

33 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

This was my committee. Unfortunately I didn't receive funding this round. My score was 10.46. 

Congratulations Foucult on getting your funding! I hope that budget passes through for you!

Thank you surrealist ❤️ It seems like committee 3 had a higher cut-off than usual, looks like I made it by the skin of my teeth with 10.75. 

21 minutes ago, foucult said:

Thank you surrealist ❤️ It seems like committee 3 had a higher cut-off than usual, looks like I made it by the skin of my teeth with 10.75. 

Woo!! 10.75 is a fantastic score!!

Some folks and I were talking about how we could have been in a control group. I know peers from previous years who've been funded at scores lower than what we received. I mean scores are not a guarantee of meriting an award, but it's the only "clarity" we receive in such an opaque selection process. Now that they've removed ranking, it makes it more difficult for us to understand where we stand. 

Hi all, congrats to all those who received an award! I sadly was not offered one (committee 1, score 9.91).

My letter says that although my application "was recommended for funding by the merit review committee, SSHRC is presently unable to offer you an award through the SSHRC Doctoral Awards competition." The letter says they will contact me should funds become available. This sounds to me like I might be on an unofficial waitlist, though I'm guessing the chances of being offered an award later on are fairly slim...(I doubt many people refuse their offers!)

Did anyone here receive a similar letter? And does anyone know if there's a chance of actually being offered an award at a later date? 

3 minutes ago, blerp said:

Hi all, congrats to all those who received an award! I sadly was not offered one (committee 1, score 9.91).

My letter says that although my application "was recommended for funding by the merit review committee, SSHRC is presently unable to offer you an award through the SSHRC Doctoral Awards competition." The letter says they will contact me should funds become available. This sounds to me like I might be on an unofficial waitlist, though I'm guessing the chances of being offered an award later on are fairly slim...(I doubt many people refuse their offers!)

Did anyone here receive a similar letter? And does anyone know if there's a chance of actually being offered an award at a later date? 

Hello, what is your last name letter? :)

28 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

Some folks and I were talking about how we could have been in a control group. I know peers from previous years who've been funded at scores lower than what we received. I mean scores are not a guarantee of meriting an award, but it's the only "clarity" we receive in such an opaque selection process. Now that they've removed ranking, it makes it more difficult for us to understand where we stand. 

Thank you!! Incredibly frustrating that the process is so black-boxed. In solidarity 👊

Hey guys my last name is K and I got my results last night. I did not get it. It was a really dark night lol. I just wanted to share the stats for committee 5 in case someone hasn't. I am so happy for those who got it. Wishing good results for everyone in L-Z. This is such a stressful and lonely experience. Make sure to take care of yourselves throughout it.

For committee 5:

Applications: Fellowships Offered:

Fellowships Not Offered:

47 (42.3%)

64 (57.7%)

1 minute ago, thisphdwillkillme said:

Hey guys my last name is K and I got my results last night. I did not get it. It was a really dark night lol. I just wanted to share the stats for committee 5 in case someone hasn't. I am so happy for those who got it. Wishing good results for everyone in L-Z. This is such a stressful and lonely experience. Make sure to take care of yourselves throughout it.

For committee 5:

Fellowships Not Offered:

47 (42.3%)

64 (57.7%)

Sorry to hear. I was rooting for you... The L-Z are still wondering if we'll even get it 

2 minutes ago, thisphdwillkillme said:

For committee 5:

Fellowships Not Offered:

47 (42.3%)

64 (57.7%)

I was in the same committee and also did not get it. Also had a dark night. Solidarity. Got the brutal "recommended but not offered" letter 

55 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

What do you mean by control group? I am also on the waiting list in the same committee and reached out to the email provided for a rank/cut off score. I got a response this morning saying they forwarded my inquiry to a Programme Officer.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, thestressedone said:

Sorry to hear. I was rooting for you... The L-Z are still wondering if we'll even get it 

Thanks guys. My topic is a bit risky for current academia so I was half expecting it but I also just really thought there would be a chance because I really truly know it is such an important topic. Just feeling so discouraged. It is so dehumanizing to put your heart and soul into something you genuinely feel is so important and be rated out of 12 and dismissed. It honestly felt worse than my worst heartbreak last night haha. I have not cried like that in so long.

I did not even get wait list just a flat out hard no 

Edited by thisphdwillkillme

2 minutes ago, thisphdwillkillme said:

Thanks guys. My topic is a bit risky for current academia so I was half expecting it but I also just really thought there would be a chance because I really truly know it is such an important topic. Just feeling so discouraged. It is so dehumanizing to put your heart and soul into something you genuinely feel is so important and be rated out of 12 and dismissed. It honestly felt worse than my worst heartbreak last night haha. I have not cried like that in so long.

I 100% get it. Just know that my prof has been on some committees of the sort and was surprised to see the bias and not following the guidelines and such. It does not seem quite fair.

I almost got Vanier this year and FRQSC ranked me in the bottom 50%.

Waiting on SSHRC ,but very possible.

3 minutes ago, thisphdwillkillme said:

I am so so sorry. I am not taking this well at all and had the exact same reaction. Got no sleep and really don't know what to do going forward.

7 minutes ago, thestressedone said:

I 100% get it. Just know that my prof has been on some committees of the sort and was surprised to see the bias and not following the guidelines and such. It does not seem quite fair.

I almost got Vanier this year and FRQSC ranked me in the bottom 50%.

Waiting on SSHRC ,but very possible.

Thank you for these words. Almost getting Vanier is amazing. And fuck FRQSC. 

I truly am putting every ounce of positive energy I have left into the universe for you for SSHRC.