2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

40 minutes ago, Camiki said:

I recently had an interview with them, and they said to expect mid-February. 

32 minutes ago, Ytc1212 said:

Oh wow really? Cause during my interview the prof said smt like by the end of January... But I guess my interview was super early (Jan 5th) so maybe they decided that they needed more time? 

Same here. Profs interviewing me said the decisions will be made around the late January...And they released their results on 26th Jan last year right?

1 hour ago, cbsag123 said:

Ugh I'm jealous of y'all already hearing back...... I'm expecting to hear no sooner than February 1st 😕

Same. Very jealous. I don't know if I'll hear anything before the week of February 5th. 😫

1 hour ago, Polisci882 said:

Isn’t UChicago supposed to release decisions somewhat soon as well? 

On the doc I created, I have them down for early February, so next week would be my expectation. But it's always possible they could move sooner.

10 hours ago, Polisci882 said:

Is it an admission faux pas to contact the department chair at a university and inquire if a final decision has been made on an application before receiving a decision email? I don’t want to do it if it’s unadvisable or will negatively impact my chances, but the waiting is making me anxious haha. 

Don't do it is the general advice.

11 minutes ago, fizzan said:

Anyone claiming the Illinois acceptances? What subfield? 

Not looking good for me so far 

Im not seeing anything about the University of Illinois, I only saw one about the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) which is a different university (but part of the same system). Am I missing the UIUC updates? 

Nevermind I hadn't scrolled lol

Edited by ugh08

3 hours ago, SH95 said:

Claiming SUNY at Buffalo! Email notification came to check the portal. However, scholarship did not been awarded, even though I am thrilled to be accepted! I am looking for a chance that other people who decline the offer with the scholarship and get, since it is still early season for looking admissions decisions.

Will I get a chance to be funded?

Congrats on your acceptance. I would do A TON of research into Buffalo's program before you accept, even if a funding package comes through. Programs should be incredibly transparent -- on their websites -- about their recent graduate placement record. Any halfway decent program will have, in its grad student directory, a description of the student's research, and places for them to list awards and publications. And all programs should have a list of graduate students on the market. Buffalo has none of these things, AND they're admitting students without a guarantee of funding. 

If your interest is staying in academia, you're in for an uphill battle. Sorry to be the downer and bearer of bad news, but it is not ok for programs to admit students without a guarantee of funding (and you should treat this like a waitlist rather than acceptance), and it's also not ok for programs to half-ass their student directory. If your interest is in earning a PhD and looking for government, think tank, or other industry jobs, that's a different calculation, but I still would not attend unless you are fully funded.

Since your decision letter made it clear that you will only receive funding if others decline, I do not think you should email right now. Most decisions have not been released. If they have not gotten back in touch by mid-March, you can email and ask for a timeline about decisions re: funding, but otherwise it's just going to make them question if you understood the offer letter or not. 

9 minutes ago, fizzan said:

Okay now I look at it the one that came through as an acceptance from today  is apparently for Illinois Chicago, so maybe still hope? 

yes I AM delusional 

We both are delulu bc I saw one that someone posted today for an acceptance to UIUC but they were actually posting about how they got accepted on January 9th but had just posted it today. I am going crazy, glad you are too tho. We are in it together 🙃😂

30 minutes ago, PolPsychGal11 said:

Congrats on your acceptance. I would do A TON of research into Buffalo's program before you accept, even if a funding package comes through. Programs should be incredibly transparent -- on their websites -- about their recent graduate placement record. Any halfway decent program will have, in its grad student directory, a description of the student's research, and places for them to list awards and publications. And all programs should have a list of graduate students on the market. Buffalo has none of these things, AND they're admitting students without a guarantee of funding. 

If your interest is staying in academia, you're in for an uphill battle. Sorry to be the downer and bearer of bad news, but it is not ok for programs to admit students without a guarantee of funding (and you should treat this like a waitlist rather than acceptance), and it's also not ok for programs to half-ass their student directory. If your interest is in earning a PhD and looking for government, think tank, or other industry jobs, that's a different calculation, but I still would not attend unless you are fully funded.

Since your decision letter made it clear that you will only receive funding if others decline, I do not think you should email right now. Most decisions have not been released. If they have not gotten back in touch by mid-March, you can email and ask for a timeline about decisions re: funding, but otherwise it's just going to make them question if you understood the offer letter or not. 

This is very solid and accurate advice. I second this. 

43 minutes ago, PolPsychGal11 said:

Thanks for strong recommendation! I will thoroughly search into it. As I searched for recent careers, it has been searched in the website, though it seems not quite recent. Maybe I should ask DGS for more information for that now? Or, should I wait and send it the request little bit later?

8 minutes ago, SH95 said:

Thanks for strong recommendation! I will thoroughly search into it. As I searched for recent careers, it has been searched in the website, though it seems not quite recent. Maybe I should ask DGS for more information for that now? Or, should I wait and send it the request little bit later?

I would wait. Because if you don't get funding it doesn't matter at all, since you should not attend a program that doesn't commit to you fully for at least 5 years. And honestly even then, I don't think this is a program you should consider attending.

By placements, I don't mean "careers" -- there should be a page on the Political Science PhD site that says "recent graduate placements" or "placement history" and it should list every graduate and where they landed. On the "careers in political science page" they are claiming Mark Huddleston as a "recent graduate". He is the RETIRED former president of the University of New Hampshire. The dude is old. He is 73!!!, and in no way a recent graduate. Listing him there is really shady and sketchy. 

Look, I hate to be incredibly blunt, especially as people are celebrating acceptances. But even if they gave you full funding for 5 years, there's no way I would recommend anyone attend this program. 

Edited by PolPsychGal11

7 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

One of my professors in undergrad told me over and over: you should not be paying to attend a PhD program. They should be paying you a stipend. And there’s absolutely no reason to go into debt for a PhD program 

That's why I am going to wait until they are going to offer me a scholarship. What I also heard is that, buffalo usually gives stipend and scholarship in second year to Koreans since they are quite suspicious to speaking abilities. That's what I heard directly from buffalo alumnus. Maybe I should ask them for job placement records.

11 minutes ago, SH95 said:

I would wait. Because if you don't get funding it doesn't matter at all, since you should not attend a program that doesn't commit to you fully for at least 5 years. And honestly even then, I don't think this is a program you should consider attending.

By placements, I don't mean "careers" -- there should be a page on the Political Science PhD site that says "recent graduate placements" or "placement history" and it should list every graduate and where they landed. On the "careers in political science page" they are claiming Mark Huddleston as a "recent graduate". He is the RETIRED former president of the University of New Hampshire. The dude is old. He is 73!!!, and in no way a recent graduate. Listing him there is really shady and sketchy. 

Look, I hate to be incredibly blunt, especially as people are celebrating acceptances. But even if they gave you full funding for 5 years, there's no way I would recommend anyone attend this program. 

8 minutes ago, PolPsychGal11 said:

Yes. That's why I would wait for until all things are done. I have several schools to waiting for a decision. I will wait. Maybe I would not consider to contact them right away.

1 hour ago, Prospero said:

Does anyone know if Political Theory normally gets back later than other subfields?

I'm still even waiting for a response from UT Austin, getting concerned.

Not sure but I also haven’t heard anythin from UT Austin (IR subfield), fingers crossed 

1 hour ago, Prospero said:

Does anyone know if Political Theory normally gets back later than other subfields?

I'm still even waiting for a response from UT Austin, getting concerned.

25 minutes ago, sunsartu said:

Not sure but I also haven’t heard anythin from UT Austin (IR subfield), fingers crossed 

to shed a bit of light - i was waitlisted by UT-Austin and was told by the DGS that i was expected to hear back from them in late March/early April. they had also scheduled three virtual events (meet & greet with students & faculties) between early February to early March for waitlisted candidates. hope that helps!

1 hour ago, barthestow said:

to shed a bit of light - i was waitlisted by UT-Austin and was told by the DGS that i was expected to hear back from them in late March/early April. they had also scheduled three virtual events (meet & greet with students & faculties) between early February to early March for waitlisted candidates. hope that helps!

Would that timeline hold true even for those of us who haven't been waitlisted?

I haven't received a response yet, period. 

7 hours ago, PolPsychGal11 said:

What's your honest opinion about Carbondale, there is full funding for students but nothing like graduate placements page on the departmental website.

23 minutes ago, Maverickz said:

What's your honest opinion about Carbondale, there is full funding for students but nothing like graduate placements page on the departmental website.

The advice I've usually heard is not to consider departments where not all students are fully funded - while it looks like there is some funding available, this looks like one of them 

4 hours ago, Maverickz said:

Carbondale actually does fully fund all PhD students in their department.

You're going to run into the placement issue a lot with R2 schools. Carbondale is R2, not R1. So their placements are at teaching colleges, small liberal arts universities stuff like that. Not universities that are R1 and would support your research. So if you're interested in just teaching undergrad courses at a teaching college or working in the government sector, schools like that (R2s) are fine. But if you want to work at an R1 or an R2, you need to go to an R1.

Edited by ugh08

1 minute ago, Polisci882 said:

I’m also curious about this. It seems a little early for UChicago

seconding that. It came out when I woke up today at 8AM EST (7AM CST) which makes me a little suspicious. my status on the portal hasn't been updated yet, fwiw. maybe it's a troll

Edited by llmoula