2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

54 minutes ago, pananoprodigy said:

I still haven’t heard anything from Iowa or University of Oregon (fiction). 😕

U of O hasn't sent out rejections for fiction yet. Someone did get accepted last week, but I think that's the last of the news. I'm guessing the cohort hasn't fully been fleshed out yet and they're still holding out before sending out Rs. 

Did you check your Iowa portal? It should have updated for everyone a few weeks ago. Some people didn't receive rejection letters and I'm 99% sure they don't send out emails unless you're accepted/waitlisted. 

11 minutes ago, aurqcyei said:

U of O hasn't sent out rejections for fiction yet. Someone did get accepted last week, but I think that's the last of the news. I'm guessing the cohort hasn't fully been fleshed out yet and they're still holding out before sending out Rs. 

Did you check your Iowa portal? It should have updated for everyone a few weeks ago. Some people didn't receive rejection letters and I'm 99% sure they don't send out emails unless you're accepted/waitlisted. 

Thanks! I had been locked out of my Iowa portal but I just got it reset and yeah, they did update it. Kind of a bummer to me to spend so much money/time on these applications and not even get a formal rejection email. I get it, but also 😕 

22 minutes ago, pananoprodigy said:

Thanks! I had been locked out of my Iowa portal but I just got it reset and yeah, they did update it. Kind of a bummer to me to spend so much money/time on these applications and not even get a formal rejection email. I get it, but also 😕 

I mean, they should send a rejection letter. A rejection notice, even if it's a one-liner, is the absolute bare minimum a school or magazine should give to an applicant. I know Iowa only sends out snail mail rejection letters, so I wonder if your rejection letter just got lost in the ether :( 

4 hours ago, aurqcyei said:

I mean, they should send a rejection letter. A rejection notice, even if it's a one-liner, is the absolute bare minimum a school or magazine should give to an applicant. I know Iowa only sends out snail mail rejection letters, so I wonder if your rejection letter just got lost in the ether :( 

It'll probably show up randomly a few months from now when I'm having a bad day hahaha

21 minutes ago, pananoprodigy said:

It'll probably show up randomly a few months from now when I'm having a bad day hahaha

usps has an almost supernatural ability to deliver all mail to the proper destination so it's unlikely it was lost. however, if they sent out say 800 or so letters, about 100 of them will be late. this is pretty late though. you could get it years from now; that happens. 

as for me... 6 days until i start asking for my money back. 

16 hours ago, pananoprodigy said:

I feel you. I haven't got mine, either, and don't know when to expect it. It's a bummer, for a program that asks you to go through such a complicated application process. 

16 hours ago, aurqcyei said:

I mean, they should send a rejection letter. A rejection notice, even if it's a one-liner, is the absolute bare minimum a school or magazine should give to an applicant. 

Absolutely. I wish Iowa at least sent email notifications first, so people didn't keep waiting and worrying. Their fancy snail mail could then come in later, if they like. 

Just wanted to let people know that I declined my offers from Ohio State and Iowa NWP. I truly hope some very good news be headed your way!

Oh and I accepted the offer from Pitt 🥳

It's been a privilege 🫡 and thank you to all those who lent help and advice in my dms. Also, I'd totally pay it forward—if anyone needs an extra set of eyes on your CNF packet next year, or have questions, hit me up! I'll try pay back the good karma.

Edited to add final stats:

8A/4W/3R/0P

Edited by DanielNiver

2 hours ago, DanielNiver said:

Just wanted to let people know that I declined my offers from Ohio State and Iowa NWP. I truly hope some very good news be headed your way!

It's been a privilege 🫡 and thank you to all those who lent help and advice in my dms. Also, I'd totally pay it forward—if anyone needs an extra set of eyes on your CNF packet next year, or have questions, hit me up! I'll try pay back the good karma.

8A/4W/3R/0P

Wohoo congratulations!! Also, do you mind my asking what pushed you to choose Pitt? I'm waitlisted there for fiction and accepted elsewhere. I really love the other school I'm in at, but suddenly this week I've been running a lot of what ifs in my head about what I'd do if I do suddenly get off the Pitt waitlist! Getting off the waitlist has felt like such a long shot this whole time, so I didn't end up doing a campus/city visit, and I haven't had the same opportunities to chat with the cohort/faculty there as at my other school. Now I'm feeling like if I do get in, I'll have to make a snap decision with a lot of info about one school and not enough about the other, so I'd really appreciate any insights you might have :)

Edited by JanShell

3 hours ago, DanielNiver said:

8A/4W/3R/0P

I just checked GradCafe and was about to congratulate you on making a final decision — and then boom, email from Ohio State that I'm off the waitlist. So congratulations and also thanks (even if I suspect you just made my decision ten times harder!). Pitt is lucky to have a writer like you. 

1 minute ago, JanShell said:

Wohoo congratulations!! Also, do you mind my asking what pushed you to choose Pitt? I'm waitlisted there for fiction and accepted elsewhere. I really love the other school I'm in at, but suddenly this week I've been running a lot of what ifs in my head about what I'd do if I do suddenly get off the Pitt waitlist! Getting off the waitlist has felt like such a long shot this whole time, so I didn't end up doing a campus/city visit, and I haven't had the same opportunities to chat with the cohort/faculty there as at my other school. Now I'm feeling like if I do get in, I'll have to make a snap decision with a lot of info about one school and not enough about the other, so I'd really appreciate any insights you might have :)

Yeah, I definitely know the feeling. I'll tell you, Pitt obviously had so much of what the other top schools on my list had, but really it came down to how unbelievably accommodating they were. I could only visit the campus with like a two day notice over the weekend and the *cohort* mostly arranged my visit and set up my schedule with me. Not that the faculty weren't involved it was just that it was the weekend when I notified them and the MFA students were all over it. Most of the other visits I did, the 2nd and 3rd year MFA students felt like they were forced to be there lol. Not a big deal, totally get it, but everything at Pitt felt like the cohorts really wanted to help and meet everyone coming in. It was night and day, to be honest.

But, you know, follow your gut and what gave you a good vibe. Zero FOMO that way, ya know. 

1 hour ago, lychees said:

I just checked GradCafe and was about to congratulate you on making a final decision — and then boom, email from Ohio State that I'm off the waitlist. So congratulations and also thanks (even if I suspect you just made my decision ten times harder!). Pitt is lucky to have a writer like you. 

Holy shit! It worked 😂 congratulations!!!! I will tell you, OSU was utterly incredible and it really came down to very small differences. With that said, good luck deciding 😂

On 4/9/2024 at 9:12 AM, Rixor said:

Still haven't heard back from some schools. Anyone else? April 15th is in just 6 days.

I'm happy to be patient, but in some cases... Man, e.g. University of South Florida completely ghosted my emails asking for clarificiation on the strange message in my admissions portal. I wouldn't want to go there anyways at this point. 

I'm pretty sure I know where I'm going at this point and I am ecstatic about it. I feel very fortunate. '

Just ~6 more days of uncertainty. Been a pleasure going through this process with you all.

Rixor, I finally heard back from USF after contacting the right person, sellersh@ usf . edu she is the director of creative writing programs and has access to the waitlist. It is tiered. I hope that brings you some clarity, if you haven’t contacted Heather…idk what they’re on😭

Edited by squarkshark

6 hours ago, DanielNiver said:

8A/4W/3R/0P

haha im waitlisted there for fiction and this gave me a heart attack before i realized youre cnf. good luck at Pitt!

Anyone who hasn’t heard back from Iowa it doesn’t hurt to call the Dey House phone number and ask about your status! Unless you really plan to ask for a refund…😂💖

P.S. coping with the director of my top program saying I’m runner up for funding… what are the odds 1 out of 7 turn down a spot before the 15th? This is so stressful! 

26 minutes ago, squarkshark said:

Rixor, I finally heard back from USF after contacting the right person, sellersh@ usf . edu she is the director of creative writing programs and has access to the waitlist. It is tiered. I hope that brings you some clarity, if you haven’t contacted Heather…idk what they’re on😭

Thank you so much for the info!!:) Glad you were able to get a response!

hey guys, I need some advice 

I have a fully funded offer at a 3 year program that wants my decision by Friday, but I’m waitlisted at my top choice and likely won’t hear back from them until Monday or after. 

I really don’t know if I should accept just to accept, bc I don’t want to miss this opportunity. the program seems great but I’m just not feeling 100% about it or as excited as the other program: but again, I know I wouldn’t feel 100% certain with any option until I get there and get acclimated. 

my brain is just going on and on. What if I turn down this offer, apply again next year but don’t get any offers? Part of me says to just take the offer, idiot. But another part of me says I should hold out. 

anyone ever been in a similar position and have any (ANY) advice? 

9 hours ago, DanielNiver said:

8A/4W/3R/0P

5 hours ago, lychees said:

Congratulations to both of you!!! Super happy for you both even though I still haven't gotten off either waitlist 😅

3 minutes ago, decayingballads21 said:

I have a fully funded offer at a 3 year program that wants my decision by Friday, but I’m waitlisted at my top choice and likely won’t hear back from them until Monday or after. 

I really don’t know if I should accept just to accept, bc I don’t want to miss this opportunity. the program seems great but I’m just not feeling 100% about it or as excited as the other program: but again, I know I wouldn’t feel 100% certain with any option until I get there and get acclimated. 

my brain is just going on and on. What if I turn down this offer, apply again next year but don’t get any offers? Part of me says to just take the offer, idiot. But another part of me says I should hold out. 

Have you already reached out to the top choice program to ask about the likelihood of getting off the waitlist? I feel like if you explained your exact situation, there's some chance of a candid answer that might help inform your decision. 

It's a bit weird that the one you're accepted at wants your decision by Friday. Have you tried asking for an extension?

If neither of the above gets you anywhere, I'd personally make a decision with the assumption that the waitlist won't work out, which essentially comes down to either accepting the offer or committing to waiting an additional year. And that alone is a difficult decision, and I don't know your particular circumstances.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, so I empathize. The timing of everything is seldom ideal and it gets complicated.

Today has been absolutely dizzying. This morning I was putting together a list of the differences between my two offers; this night I have two new offers to consider! I'm off the waitlist at Iowa State now — and there's still five more days before the 15th (which is beginning to feel impossibly far and also so close at the same time).

15 hours ago, decayingballads21 said:

"wants" your decision, or "requires" your decision? Some programs even after signing the agreement will play cute about the deadline. they shouldn't. make sure you don't have until the 15. if you do, take that time. you wouldn't be the first person i've heard about who was "asked" for a decision before the deadline.

Hi all!! It's been a while since I've been in here, I've spent the past month agonizing about decisions haha. I visited both Manhattanville and Stony Brook (I rejected The New School pretty quick because I realized it didn't offer what I wanted for teaching opportunities and it would be too expensive anyway). I was really hesitant about attending either school and was considering just reapplying next year, but after visiting SBU, I've decided that it's the right program for me! I do want to give a shoutout to Manhattanville as a program that seems to be on the rise, the whole process was very personal and inviting and the director is doing a lot of work to make it a really good place to be, but I felt that its current state didn't fit my needs and SBU was much better for me location-wise. The teaching fellowship pathway they offer is a really great opportunity though, it makes the program almost fully funded. I'd recommend looking into it for anyone applying next year, especially in NY.

This forum has been a great help, and I've really loved seeing everyone's news and talking with you all! Thanks for helping me get through the season! ❤️

14 minutes ago, writernity said:

Hi all!! It's been a while since I've been in here, I've spent the past month agonizing about decisions haha. I visited both Manhattanville and Stony Brook (I rejected The New School pretty quick because I realized it didn't offer what I wanted for teaching opportunities and it would be too expensive anyway). I was really hesitant about attending either school and was considering just reapplying next year, but after visiting SBU, I've decided that it's the right program for me! I do want to give a shoutout to Manhattanville as a program that seems to be on the rise, the whole process was very personal and inviting and the director is doing a lot of work to make it a really good place to be, but I felt that its current state didn't fit my needs and SBU was much better for me location-wise. The teaching fellowship pathway they offer is a really great opportunity though, it makes the program almost fully funded. I'd recommend looking into it for anyone applying next year, especially in NY.

This forum has been a great help, and I've really loved seeing everyone's news and talking with you all! Thanks for helping me get through the season! ❤️

Superhappy!

did we ever figure out whether it was two or three years?