foodie24

Hello,

I am applying to two doctorate programs. The first one is UC Berkeley Ph.D. Social Welfare. The second program is University of Utah Ph.D. Social Work. 

My stats: 

6 publications in peer reviewed journals. 3 of those publication I am the first author. 

6 conference presentations, and I have 3 invited presentations under my belt. 

6 years of experience experience, and 2 months away from taking my licensing exam. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank goodness I'm not alone, I felt like I was the only person in the world applying for social work PhDs! I applied to Michigan (SSW/Sociology), NYU, Penn, BU, and Loyola (Chicago). I truly have no idea what the timeline is or what chances are. It's just nice to know there are others out there...good luck, everyone!

Any news from schools yet? I was notified last week I'm a finalist for Wash U, and have an interview tomorrow. Still waiting to hear from the other 5 programs! U Chicago said they would send decisions in mid-Feb (they don't do interviews), but not sure about the other places I applied! 

also haven't heard anything from mine; trying (and failing) not to be anxious til the end of the month. good luck with your interview, don't forget to take a breath before each answer and don't be afraid to ask if they can come back to a question later. 

i'm curious; what's everyone's top choice/research interest? I'm looking to go to MSU for prison policy for trans adults, with a focus on violence prevention. i've talked with a POI there and she's doing work at Riker's so i hope to work with her

7 hours ago, foodie24 said:

Any news from schools yet? I was notified last week I'm a finalist for Wash U, and have an interview tomorrow. Still waiting to hear from the other 5 programs! U Chicago said they would send decisions in mid-Feb (they don't do interviews), but not sure about the other places I applied! 

Can you give the initials of the P.I.(s) you indicated interest in/ who the interview is with? 🙏🏼 I'm still waiting to hear back from WUSTL.

11 hours ago, foodie24 said:

Congratulations on getting this far best of luck on your interview.

Edited by SilentCipher24

14 hours ago, thotleader said:

Can you give the initials of the P.I.(s) you indicated interest in/ who the interview is with? 🙏🏼 I'm still waiting to hear back from WUSTL.

Absolutely! Interview is with two associate professors (did not mention either in my application). P.I.s I indicated interest in were M.G-W., M.R., and D.H.! Hope this helps!

On 1/17/2024 at 10:53 AM, foodie24 said:

I just got my acceptance into CWRU's part time program! Still waiting to hear from MSU

12 hours ago, foodie24 said:

Absolutely! Interview is with two associate professors (did not mention either in my application). P.I.s I indicated interest in were M.G-W., M.R., and D.H.! Hope this helps!

I guess this is a trend. Had an interview for UGA by two associate professors ( did not mention either). 

Hope your interview went well

I applied to 3 programs: university of Denver PhD in social work; Berkeley PhD in social welfare; UDUB PhD in social welfare.

i got admitted to DU in December and I just got invited to interview at UDUB.

Glad to finally track down this thread. I've been soooo nervous, I applied to ten different places and god willing I'll get into one!
I applied to Wayne State, Michigan State, Loyola, Rutgers, University of Pittsburgh, UC Berkeley, University of Wisconsin - Madison, Indiana University - Bloomington, Ohio State University, and Maryland University. Got a rejection from Maryland but have not heard from anyone else.
Good luck everyone! We can be anxious together!

14 hours ago, Phdvibez said:

I applied to 3 programs: university of Denver PhD in social work; Berkeley PhD in social welfare; UDUB PhD in social welfare.

i got admitted to DU in December and I just got invited to interview at UDUB.

good luck on your interview! don't forget to take a deep breath

On 1/17/2024 at 3:15 PM, PrincessOfThemyscira said:

i'm curious; what's everyone's top choice/research interest? I'm looking to go to MSU for prison policy for trans adults, with a focus on violence prevention. i've talked with a POI there and she's doing work at Riker's so i hope to work with her

I want to do work around food insecurity, specifically in the queer community if possible! Fingers crossed for you!

1 hour ago, catmom187 said:

How's everyone holding up? I had an interview at NYU a few weeks ago, and just got accepted to Loyola Chicago. Hopefully we all start hearing more soon!

congrats on your acceptance! still waiting to hear from Michigan State, getting a lil anxious but I know they said 10 weeks and its only been 8

Honestly this has been the longest 8 weeks of my life. I applied to two programs that I believed I was a great fit for.

So far one interview and they said I will hear back in a few weeks.

The other nothing so for sure nervous. I did meet with the person I listed on my PS and sat in on a class before I applied but still its still hard waiting.   

Congratulations everyone with a confirmed acceptance! Best of luck to the rest of us.