2024 Application Thread for Communications Program PhD

I spoke with my advisor yesterday, and she mentioned that her colleague on the admissions committee at UVA said they've received a shockingly high number applicants with masters degrees. I have no sense for what the ratio of students applying straight from undergrad versus from masters programs is (especially at programs outside this one), but I was surprised to hear it's disproportionate. 

On 1/31/2024 at 10:39 AM, lolomnm said:

I spoke with my advisor yesterday, and she mentioned that her colleague on the admissions committee at UVA said they've received a shockingly high number applicants with masters degrees. I have no sense for what the ratio of students applying straight from undergrad versus from masters programs is (especially at programs outside this one), but I was surprised to hear it's disproportionate. 

Hi! Thank you so much for sharing this information. Do you know when UVA will release the results? I have been anxiously waiting as well.

11 hours ago, Doglover943100 said:

Has anyone applied to any Florida schools for comms PhD? If so, have you heard back? The wait is stressful 😫 

Hey, I have applied to FSU and USF, and haven't heard back anything yet. They have started reviewing after Jan 15-20, so, I think it will take around 20 days for them to go for any action. I am an international student, and I had to spend a lot of money, particularly for the FSU application. They wouldn't review my application unless I sent them official copies of the transcript evaluation. I had to spend $396 for this application (TOEFL 255 + Transcript 110 + App 31). I would be very upset with any negative decision! :(

I have received an admission offer from the University of Kansas, and a rejection from Cornell. Waiting for decisions mainly from-

Indiana University, Bloomington (The Media School)
Florida State University
University of Iowa
University of South Florida
and, from some others.

If any of you hear anything from Indiana, FSU, or Iowa please let me know. I have seen some negative reviews from F23 on Indiana Media School regarding funding, don't know if the situation will remain the same now.

14 hours ago, LumosQ said:

Hi! Thank you so much for sharing this information. Do you know when UVA will release the results? I have been anxiously waiting as well.

I heard on the later end (closer to March). I think there is a bit of a learning curve since this is their first year doing doctoral admissions. 

I recently got into UW Madison on the RPC track! Does anyone have familiarity with the school? It's a really dumb question, but I'm international and just want to know more about the place I'll be spending my next 5-6 years at. From everything I've read so far, it's considered a great program, but if anyone has any inside info, I'd love to know. 

8 hours ago, Un_tilt_able said:

I recently got into UW Madison on the RPC track! Does anyone have familiarity with the school? It's a really dumb question, but I'm international and just want to know more about the place I'll be spending my next 5-6 years at. From everything I've read so far, it's considered a great program, but if anyone has any inside info, I'd love to know. 

Hi, I am currently an undergraduate at UW Madison and also got into the comm arts track! let me know how you want to connect 

37 minutes ago, Coded_B said:

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone has received an email regarding funding from UCONN.

Hi! I've received a funding offer from UConn -- $29,000/yr, although it's only for this year since their graduate assistant (GA) positions are offered year by year.

Are you planning on attending the open house later this month?

1 minute ago, splash24 said:

Hi! I've received a funding offer from UConn -- $29,000/yr, although it's only for this year since their graduate assistant (GA) positions are offered year by year.

Are you planning on attending the open house later this month?

Yes, I plan on attending, are you? When did you receive the offer? Do you think it's on a rolling basis?