Anticipating Divinity School Admissions

Andyroo

Hello all.

While I am doubtful this will provide any help in terms of garnering a response, I assume this will help soothe my inner turmoil as I count down the days to admission.

I applied to the Divinity Schools at Harvard and Yale. I was instructed to stay off of GradCafe, but as usual, curiosity bested me. I have yet to receive an interview invite for the former and despite there still being a few weeks until mid-March (particularly March 15), any hope I have has all but diminished. My GPA is not terrible but it is not stellar either; it is greater than 3.0 but below 3.5.

I visited both campuses this past September to put a face to my name, and the admissions team at Yale asked me to scan a QR code so they were aware that I took the time to visit the campus. However, seeing someone on GradCafe with a 3.4 not get accepted drastically increased my concern. I understand they likely did not visit, but nonetheless, I have taken a pessimistic approach and assumed that I will not be accepted to either.

If there is anyone who would like to provide some advice, it would be greatly appreciated. This post is more so for accepting what I assume is the inevitable and I understand if it is removed.

2 hours ago, Dumbyguppy said:

Hi, Andyroo. How are your other materials? If they are not important, the schools won’t ask for them.

I think my personal statement is decent. I made it well known why I chose the specific concentration. I additionally wrote an addendum for the lower GPA. 

I worry that I should have added more footnote citations for my Writing Sample, as it was a paper I had written in my final year. 

33 minutes ago, Andyroo said:

I think my personal statement is decent. I made it well known why I chose the specific concentration. I additionally wrote an addendum for the lower GPA. 

I worry that I should have added more footnote citations for my Writing Sample, as it was a paper I had written in my final year. 

I feel 3.0-3.5 is still a decent gpa for divinity schools, plus you seem have clear motives and good SOP. It should be fine if your writing sample did not have much citations, they prefer the analysis part made by you because they just want to know your ability of thinking.

2 hours ago, Dumbyguppy said:

I feel 3.0-3.5 is still a decent gpa for divinity schools, plus you seem have clear motives and good SOP. It should be fine if your writing sample did not have much citations, they prefer the analysis part made by you because they just want to know your ability of thinking.

Thank you, Dumbyguppy. I will keep posted in a month on my results. 

I hope that your academic career is going splendidly.

57 minutes ago, Andyroo said:

Thank you, Dumbyguppy. I will keep posted in a month on my results. 

I hope that your academic career is going splendidly.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad that I could help you in some ways 😆

On 2/17/2024 at 1:27 PM, Andyroo said:

I visited both campuses this past September to put a face to my name, and the admissions team at Yale asked me to scan a QR code so they were aware that I took the time to visit the campus.

I visited YDS this past fall as well and I’m afraid I might’ve missed this. Do you remember when they showed the QR code? I mention visiting in my personal statement so I’m not too worried, but I can see how they’d like the proof.

As someone who’s also in the application cycle, it’s hard not to be anxious and want the days to fly by. But what’s helped me is focusing on making each day the best it can be and making time for my passions. As important as it is, there’s more to life than school. At least that’s what’s helped me :) make of it what you will 

3 hours ago, YoungTimothy said:

I visited YDS this past fall as well and I’m afraid I might’ve missed this. Do you remember when they showed the QR code? I mention visiting in my personal statement so I’m not too worried, but I can see how they’d like the proof.

As someone who’s also in the application cycle, it’s hard not to be anxious and want the days to fly by. But what’s helped me is focusing on making each day the best it can be and making time for my passions. As important as it is, there’s more to life than school. At least that’s what’s helped me :) make of it what you will 

It was at the end of the tour in the admissions office. Mr. Bravo was incredibly helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Following on behalf of my partner (international student). He's gotten acceptances from Candler and Notre Dame. Interview invites from Princeton and Harvard. Radio silence on all other fronts. In the waiting game with you all. All the best! 

PS: Andyroo, I agree with Dumbyguppy and think your GPA is great. Hoping for good news all round! 

I only applied to 3 MDiv programs, YDS, Union, and HDS. I've had an interview at HDS and have not heard from the rest, though it seems from past years that we might find out this week or next. Good luck to all!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I actually have a high GPA and I have not been invited to an interview.I think it could be because of my Ielts score .

I wish I have applied to other universities and not only considered Harvard divinity school.

sending the best!

Edited by Lovegoodness

14 hours ago, Lovegoodness said:

Hello,

I actually have a high GPA and I have not been invited to an interview.I think it could be because of my Ielts score .

I wish I have applied to other universities and not only considered Harvard divinity school.

sending the best!

It is okay! Live and learn for both of us.

I too got rejected, haha, after the interview for HDS' MTS!

I will finish my master's in one of my other top-choice and try HDS' MDiv path after that if learning ministry work will help my religious community. Currently, I just want to learn the methods of studying religion academically first.

What is rather unfortunate is that while HDS will allow me to apply again this September, YDS won't allow another application until September 2025. Both disheartening and disappointing. I wasn't bothered by my rejection until I read this part.