American Studies 2011

ksgrad

Waiting to hear from seven schools. No one seems to be updating about American Studies programs on the results board, so results (positive or negative) must not be out yet. I hate this waiting!

My list includes: Minnesota, Buffalo, Bowling Green, Texas at Austin, Kansas, Purdue and Utah. Plus, I applied to two history programs.

Just looking for one yes at this point!

Where have others applied?

I consider myself an American (Cultural) Studies applicant, though I applied to more English programs than anything else. My list of programs is in my signature...there are a few American Studies programs (Brown, Yale, NYU, Harvard). Good luck with your applications and with surviving this waiting game!

I applied to 8 schools, a mix of AmStudies and Communication programs. I did my MA in AmStudies but my focus is visual culture, cultural theory and popular music.

AmStudies programs: William and Mary, USC, Kansas, Brown, NYU; Communication: UCSD, and UNC; Cultural Studies, SUNY-Stony Brook (or SBU, whatever they're calling it now).

What are your areas of interest?

Waiting to hear from seven schools. No one seems to be updating about American Studies programs on the results board, so results (positive or negative) must not be out yet. I hate this waiting!

My list includes: Minnesota, Buffalo, Bowling Green, Texas at Austin, Kansas, Purdue and Utah. Plus, I applied to two history programs.

Just looking for one yes at this point!

Where have others applied?

I applied to 8 schools, a mix of AmStudies and Communication programs. I did my MA in AmStudies but my focus is visual culture, cultural theory and popular music.

AmStudies programs: William and Mary, USC, Kansas, Brown, NYU; Communication: UCSD, and UNC; Cultural Studies, SUNY-Stony Brook (or SBU, whatever they're calling it now).

I have an M.A. in Women's History and English, but am really seeking to move toward a more interdisciplinary model (hence, American Studies). I'm interested in 20th C. American immigrant literature, particularly female writers, and how such cultural productions help to shape historical narratives.

I am currently in a BA program in Cultural Studies and English at the University of Bremen, Germany. So far, I have only applied to 4 schools (Brown, NYU, UT Austin, and William & Mary), all for Master's except for Brown. I might still apply to Columbia and GWU, although I'm leaning towards no. Waiting to hear back of course, and my guess I won't hear anything for another 1-2 months.

My interests include queer theory, (queer) ethnography, German-American cultural history, globalization, and human trafficking into the US.

Best of luck to everyone!!!

I also applied to 8 schools, a mixture of American Studies, Communication, and African American Studies. My areas of interests are: Gender & Sexuality; performance of identity; Black masculinity; critical ethnography; and Intersectionality

I also applied to 8 schools, a mixture of American Studies, Communication, and African American Studies. My areas of interests are: Gender & Sexuality; performance of identity; Black masculinity; critical ethnography; and Intersectionality

Hi, Saluki88,

Why did you not apply to NYU? Is there a specific reason or did you just not think they were a good fit for you? I'm asking because your interests seem really in line with their faculty.

Best of luck!

Hey,

For all those who applied to American Studies at Maryland, they are sending out decisions. Unfortunately, I got rejected, I don't know why--I had a solid application. Maybe God has something better. I can only hope and pray.

Anyway, For some reason I was to fond of being in NY, especially the city. However, in retrospect, I wish I had applied.

Good luck all!

Hi, Saluki88,

Why did you not apply to NYU? Is there a specific reason or did you just not think they were a good fit for you? I'm asking because your interests seem really in line with their faculty.

Best of luck!

Hey,

For all those who applied to American Studies at Maryland, they are sending out decisions. Unfortunately, I got rejected, I don't know why--I had a solid application. Maybe God has something better. I can only hope and pray.

Anyway, For some reason I was to fond of being in NY, especially the city. However, in retrospect, I wish I had applied.

Good luck all!

Hey Saluki88 - Sorry to see the rejection from Maryland. Hopefully there is good news to come for you (and all of us!) from other schools. It seems MD is one of the first American Studies programs to release a decision, or at least as posted on the site. I hope that means the waiting game is coming to an end soon :)

Hey Saluki88 - Sorry to see the rejection from Maryland. Hopefully there is good news to come for you (and all of us!) from other schools. It seems MD is one of the first American Studies programs to release a decision, or at least as posted on the site. I hope that means the waiting game is coming to an end soon :)

Thanks. The good thing is that my potential advisor/friend there called and informed of why I was rejected. Usually schools do not tell you why they reject you; however, you did--and for that, I am grateful. He informed that my application was extremely strong, a couple of faculty members wanted me to be admitted. I made it through the application process, according to him and I was put on the admission's shortlist. However, when it was time to discuss funding, that was where my application got cut. In other words, he informed that "You application by no means was weak, it was extremely strong, we loved it" that meant a lot. Then, he said, "Besides, just because you are not here does not mean I can't be your advisor/mentor", so for that ,I am utterly grateful and humbled.

This is to say, rejection is a part of life, and sometimes you will never know why you were rejected. Schools are extremely competitive and often times have to reject some of their best applicants, but remember, never give up hope!

I have 7 more schools to hear from, I am sure one of those 7 will see the potential and resiliency in me and my work. I will remain faithful and steadfast, my spot is out there.

Peace and good luck to all!

I'm currently on a Fulbright teaching grant, and due to the various stresses of relocating across the planet, having to plan 8 university courses in English language instruction, with no text, from scratch, and a variety of other factors, I missed USC's preferential consideration deadline. I'm assuming this means I probably won't make it in. However the fit with their faculty was so great (in my mind at least) I felt compelled to apply anyway. Weirdly I had a dream last night that I got accepted there... Wishful thinking, no doubt.

I agree @soulinmyfist, waiting is agonizing. I also submitted before the preferential deadline.

I have heard no news from Minnesota American Studies, and no one I've talked to on this board has yet either. I'm guessing that admits haven't even gone out yet! Someone on this board would surely post.

I'm thinking about emailing the department, mostly because I don't really care anymore. I already have two acceptances to women's studies programs, but I'd like to know about Minnesota.

I have heard no news from Minnesota American Studies, and no one I've talked to on this board has yet either. I'm guessing that admits haven't even gone out yet! Someone on this board would surely post.

I'm thinking about emailing the department, mostly because I don't really care anymore. I already have two acceptances to women's studies programs, but I'd like to know about Minnesota.

If you do email, let us know what you find out.

I did email, and I haven't heard anything yet. I'll post when I hear a response.

Now I'm on pins and needles. Haven't heard from anyone yet. I did contact the grad admin at Buffalo to see if they had a projected deadline for issuing decisions. She said she wasn't sure when results would be sent. Hate waiting...

LOL, I got the lamest email ever from Minnesota American Studies. They were like "You can expect to hear admissions decisions by mid-February, and the notification will come directly from the Grad School." Oh, okay. Are they seriously pretending like they don't notify accepted applicants personally?

Anyway, if the only contact they're telling me to expect to receive is from the graduate school, that means I'm getting rejected. BTW, I did ask if accepted applicants had been notified, and they were really not very transparent. What's the point in keeping us in the dark?

Overall, not very impressed. So glad I'm already in elsewhere.

LOL, I got the lamest email ever from Minnesota American Studies. They were like "You can expect to hear admissions decisions by mid-February, and the notification will come directly from the Grad School." Oh, okay. Are they seriously pretending like they don't notify accepted applicants personally?

Anyway, if the only contact they're telling me to expect to receive is from the graduate school, that means I'm getting rejected. BTW, I did ask if accepted applicants had been notified, and they were really not very transparent. What's the point in keeping us in the dark?

Overall, not very impressed. So glad I'm already in elsewhere.

Thanks for the update.

Also, as my adviser just reminded me, trying to interpret anything from this little data is essentially reading tea leaves. Don't give up hope. It could just be an overworked admin.