American Studies 2011

ksgrad

Did Bowling Green tell you in the acceptance that there was no funding or was that something that you had to contact the department to find out? I just got accepted, but the acceptance came via snail mail and from the Director of Admissions. And, I really have no idea what's going on in this whole process. Excited for an acceptance, but still completely confused.

Hi! Congrats on the acceptance; so glad to hear from someone else who applied to BGSU. I called the department for a status update about a week ago. The director told me I'd been accepted, but was on a wait list for funding. I'd suggest calling. You may receive more positive news!

What other programs did you apply to or are you considering? Is BG near the top of the list for you? I'm definitely considering the program, though would be more likely to commit if I knew I had funding.

Kate

Yay! I've had an informal admittance call from the director over at Rutgers this morning! The funding is of course an issue (story of everyone's lives it seems) But I think either way I'm going! It's my dream school! :D

Yay! I've had an informal admittance call from the director over at Rutgers this morning! The funding is of course an issue (story of everyone's lives it seems) But I think either way I'm going! It's my dream school! :D

Fantastic! That's such great news, and what a great way to start the weekend. Congratulations!

More good news (to maybe inspire hope!) I finally got funding through my program and it's going to be 23k for 4 years teaching assistanship and they are still in negotiations so it could go up to 25 or 26! :D:P

Oddly enough Purdue is the one school I haven't heard anything from at all. On the website it says "Under Review" haha I think these admins are a bit screwy. Won't send out info about funding or even a notification about whether someone hasn't gotten in. Lameee.

Oddly enough Purdue is the one school I haven't heard anything from at all. On the website it says "Under Review" haha I think these admins are a bit screwy. Won't send out info about funding or even a notification about whether someone hasn't gotten in. Lameee.

Obviously Rutgers is the place for you, and I'm sure Purdue would be out regardless. At this point, you may want to contact and see what's up. The only reason I say that is because when I applied for my M.A., the grad school never actually sent my application to the department, and it was not considered. The university ended up refunding my application fee. I know that's probably a rare occurrence, but you never know... I wouldn't mind getting a few of my application fees back this time around :) And a serious congrats on Rutgers. What an amazing offer!

At this point, I'm pretty sure my decision is between Kansas and Bowling Green.

BG offered a four-year tuition waiver, and I'm waiting to hear about a TA position with Women's Studies or Ethnic Studies. I'd be psyched about either! I've told Kansas about the offer, and am waiting to see if they can match it (or come close), since I really, really liked their faculty and Lawrence.

Anyone else still grappling with a decision?

After applying to the NYU American Studies program and being rejected. Today I get an e-mail asking me to apply to the Draper MA program. Anyone else? Heard its one of NYU's cashcow programs.

Anyways, first I was insulted but then I just had to laugh. I have 2 PhD offers thank you very much!

After applying to the NYU American Studies program and being rejected. Today I get an e-mail asking me to apply to the Draper MA program. Anyone else? Heard its one of NYU's cashcow programs.

Anyways, first I was insulted but then I just had to laugh. I have 2 PhD offers thank you very much!

I also applied to the NYU American Studies PHD and received the same email. I had the same reaction. So insulting because I already have an MA and then just laughable! O NYU!

Apparently that's one of nyu's trademark things....Turning you down and then asking you for money. Insane. Also insane is that Purdue still hasn't sent me a notification one way or the other lol I'm starting to think they actually DIDN't get my application. I'm glad it's irrelevant but it's also kind of bizarre haha

I also applied to the NYU American Studies PHD and received the same email. I had the same reaction. So insulting because I already have an MA and then just laughable! O NYU!

I got this email today as well. If nothing else, it was jarring to see an email from a school so late in the game.

I also talked to two fellow admits at a recruitment weekend who actually got in to NYU American Studies this year -- they do exist! Apparently there were interviews and they were intense 15-minute meetings with 6-8 professors one after the other. I believe the words 'exhausting,' 'overwhelming,' and 'completely ridiculous' were the words they used to describe it. Probably not pertinent information for this round of applicants, but if anyone in future seasons is reading these posts at least they'll know that they should be keeping an eye out for an interview invite and, if it doesn't come by mid-/late-March, it's a no-go for NYU. I wish I had known that earlier...

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for those still waiting to hear about waitlist spots -- I'm pulling for you CPetersen!

One of my professors was invited to visit NYU. Then, after telling him that they'd fund it, they told him that they'd spent too much money on something or the other (in my mind, it was a social gathering or something ridiculous) and that they'd like him to pay his own airfare after all. He didn't, of course. NYU ended up paying for the visit, but he'd pretty much already seen that their priorities weren't with the students.

I got this email today as well. If nothing else, it was jarring to see an email from a school so late in the game.

I also talked to two fellow admits at a recruitment weekend who actually got in to NYU American Studies this year -- they do exist! Apparently there were interviews and they were intense 15-minute meetings with 6-8 professors one after the other. I believe the words 'exhausting,' 'overwhelming,' and 'completely ridiculous' were the words they used to describe it. Probably not pertinent information for this round of applicants, but if anyone in future seasons is reading these posts at least they'll know that they should be keeping an eye out for an interview invite and, if it doesn't come by mid-/late-March, it's a no-go for NYU. I wish I had known that earlier...

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for those still waiting to hear about waitlist spots -- I'm pulling for you CPetersen!

You should contact Purdue. If they're not going to give you notice, you should get your application fee back. Seriously.

Apparently that's one of nyu's trademark things....Turning you down and then asking you for money. Insane. Also insane is that Purdue still hasn't sent me a notification one way or the other lol I'm starting to think they actually DIDN't get my application. I'm glad it's irrelevant but it's also kind of bizarre haha

I just checked the website cuz I guess I forgot to yesterday out of my hilarious curiosity. And uh it says "Recommended by Program-processing at the Graduate School" I don't know what this means but it's just more and more silly everyday

I declined Purdue yesterday. My email to the grad chair went without acknowledgment for the past three weeks. Since yesterday was the deadline, I figured no communication wasn't exactly a good sign - both for funding and my potential experience at Purdue.

I'm officially down to Kansas and Bowling Green. Neither required me to make a decision yesterday, so I'm still holding on to both and hoping a TA position will come through soon. However, since the email I sent to Kansas last week about BG's tuition waiver hasn't been responded to, I'm about 90% sure I'm heading to Ohio in August.

Good luck all!

I declined Purdue yesterday. My email to the grad chair went without acknowledgment for the past three weeks. Since yesterday was the deadline, I figured no communication wasn't exactly a good sign - both for funding and my potential experience at Purdue.

I'm officially down to Kansas and Bowling Green. Neither required me to make a decision yesterday, so I'm still holding on to both and hoping a TA position will come through soon. However, since the email I sent to Kansas last week about BG's tuition waiver hasn't been responded to, I'm about 90% sure I'm heading to Ohio in August.

Good luck all!

Dude what is up with them?? I mean I know they are not the tops and I know they are not the bottom prestige wise but this definitely makes me think twice about the program and how they handle the people who are interested in attending. I thought maybe they were just being slightly careless with applications they weren't super interested in but it seems like they are just purely careless...So.Weird.

It feels like it took forever to get here, but, over the past week, I received funded offers from Kansas and Bowling Green. Excited to leave my job this summer, start teaching, and regain full-time grad student status. YES!