American Studies 2011

ksgrad

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but does anyone have a sense of when the waitlist situation begins to clear up? I've heard about nightmare situations where people don't decide until April 15, but I guess many departments start pressing students to make decisions earlier. Does late March seem reasonable? For those who've been admitted, when are you planning to make your official decisions?

Personally, I will make my final decision right after I hear back from the last outstanding school (NYU). I have had plenty of time weigh the pros and cons. Late March sounds reasonable, although I imagine some people hold out longer than that.

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but does anyone have a sense of when the waitlist situation begins to clear up? I've heard about nightmare situations where people don't decide until April 15, but I guess many departments start pressing students to make decisions earlier. Does late March seem reasonable? For those who've been admitted, when are you planning to make your official decisions?

I plan to make my final decisions by the end of March.

I spent the past few days in Lawrence, and really liked KU! There are a number of faculty whose research interests align with my project, and the grad students were really helpful in providing insight about the strengths and weaknesses of the department. The drawback: funding still remains uncertain and it seems that even those students who are funded are only likely to receive assistance for 2 or 3 years.

Also, I returned home to find a letter from Buffalo indicating that they cannot offer funding at this time. And, still no offer for funding from Purdue.

Three acceptances and no funding. I really don't know what to do it at this point. Do I commit to a school and hope that I can find a funding option before fall semester? Is anyone considering accepting multiple offers and waiting to see how things pan out (I know it's a poor idea - just wondering if anyone has considered it or knows of others who have)?

Would love to hear thoughts...

Thanks, Kate! It was definitely the news I've been hoping for, now if I can just secure some funding. Do you have a sense of which direction you'll go with programs? I see you're still waiting on two more--good luck!

Well I heard from NYU - and it was a no, but not a huge surprise. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Columbia, but I am still thinking, thinking, thinking.... Thanks, Kate :)

I spent the past few days in Lawrence, and really liked KU! There are a number of faculty whose research interests align with my project, and the grad students were really helpful in providing insight about the strengths and weaknesses of the department. The drawback: funding still remains uncertain and it seems that even those students who are funded are only likely to receive assistance for 2 or 3 years.

Also, I returned home to find a letter from Buffalo indicating that they cannot offer funding at this time. And, still no offer for funding from Purdue.

Three acceptances and no funding. I really don't know what to do it at this point. Do I commit to a school and hope that I can find a funding option before fall semester? Is anyone considering accepting multiple offers and waiting to see how things pan out (I know it's a poor idea - just wondering if anyone has considered it or knows of others who have)?

Would love to hear thoughts...

oh, just saw this recent posting.. I'm so glad your visit went well. And I'm sorry to hear about the lack of funding at Buffalo!

Did KU give you any indication when the 'uncertainty' surrounding funding may resolve?? 2-3 years isn't ideal, but it's better than no funding. And after 2-3 years you would probably be finished with coursework and able to apply for research and dissertation grants. What did the current grad students say about the funding situation?

oh, just saw this recent posting.. I'm so glad your visit went well. And I'm sorry to hear about the lack of funding at Buffalo!

Did KU give you any indication when the 'uncertainty' surrounding funding may resolve?? 2-3 years isn't ideal, but it's better than no funding. And after 2-3 years you would probably be finished with coursework and able to apply for research and dissertation grants. What did the current grad students say about the funding situation?

Hey Kate- I saw your post about Columbia; congrats on the decision (or near decision!). Do you live in New York now? I spent two years in Brooklyn while working on my M.A. If you're new(er) to the city and have any questions, let me know. Regardless, so exciting!

As for Kansas, current grad students indicated that most PhD students seems to get 2-3 years of funding throughout, though not necessarily during the first year. The graduate director continues to emphasize that I need to be ambitious and secure my own funding, and that they believe it's possible for something to come through by second semester. Essentially, it left me feeling that if I move across country, I'm self-funding (with lots of loans) with the hope they can help me out at some point. Definitely not what I'd hoped to hear.

I'm not sure if I should eventually commit to a program -even without funding- and hope that I can get some money by fall semester. I know programs rarely allow you to defer, but I'm also considering asking if that's an option, and hoping that funding is available next year. To be honest, I never considered the possibility of acceptance letters coming without any funding...and three at that. Not even sure where to start.

End of my rant. Again, CONGRATS on Columbia!

kate

Hey Kate- I saw your post about Columbia; congrats on the decision (or near decision!). Do you live in New York now? I spent two years in Brooklyn while working on my M.A. If you're new(er) to the city and have any questions, let me know. Regardless, so exciting!

As for Kansas, current grad students indicated that most PhD students seems to get 2-3 years of funding throughout, though not necessarily during the first year. The graduate director continues to emphasize that I need to be ambitious and secure my own funding, and that they believe it's possible for something to come through by second semester. Essentially, it left me feeling that if I move across country, I'm self-funding (with lots of loans) with the hope they can help me out at some point. Definitely not what I'd hoped to hear.

I'm not sure if I should eventually commit to a program -even without funding- and hope that I can get some money by fall semester. I know programs rarely allow you to defer, but I'm also considering asking if that's an option, and hoping that funding is available next year. To be honest, I never considered the possibility of acceptance letters coming without any funding...and three at that. Not even sure where to start.

End of my rant. Again, CONGRATS on Columbia!

kate

Thanks for the congratulations!! :)

And I'm sorry to hear about these funding difficulties. Although, if most students in the program at KU seem to be able to procure funding, I would take that as a really good sign. I know it seems uncertain, but if everyone in the program has found funding, I think it is more than likely that you will, too. As a side note, my program at Columbia is only offering funding for coursework, not for the dissertation stage - but all the current students have been able to procure funding for that stage. So while it is unsettling to go into a program not knowing how it will completely pan out, I think I'm going to take the leap, since there is evidence that it works out for most students. That said, I understand your frustration about funding: it really sucks that these schools are not offering at least the first couple of years guaranteed. Do you have a lot of debt from undergrad? If you don't, you might want to consider taking the leap - but if you do, it's understandable that you might look to defer.. Are you still waiting to hear from Bowling Green and Utah? I am crossing my fingers that you will receive an offer that will blow the others out of the water ;)

Also, thank you for the offer to help me out with NYC - I actually live here currently, so I feel quite comfortable, but it's nice to meet another New Yorker!

-kate

Edited by kateg212

Received an acceptance email from Bowling Green. Of course, no funding. 0/4 on funding...how is this happening?

ugh, I'm so sorry, I was typing my previous note when this one showed up. I'm so sorry, Kate - maybe you should start telling these schools that you have other offers and ask if there is any type of funding they can offer to entice you?? I'm kind of at a loss, but it doesn't make sense that you are clearly a good student and were accepted to so many programs - but that no one is offering funding. I feel like you might need to start making phone calls and seeing what they can do for you....?

<3

Edited by kateg212

ugh, I'm so sorry, I was typing my previous note when this one showed up. I'm so sorry, Kate - maybe you should start telling these schools that you have other offers and ask if there is any type of funding they can offer to entice you?? I'm kind of at a loss, but it doesn't make sense that you are clearly a good student and were accepted to so many programs - but that no one is offering funding. I feel like you might need to start making phone calls and seeing what they can do for you....?

<3

I know. I would have understood if one or two schools had indicated they couldn't provide funding, but I'm in total shock it's every school where I've been accepted. Frankly, I wish they'd just put me on a wait list.

I spoke with the grad director at Buffalo, who made it very clear that I shouldn't expect funding at any point, and that many of their students work off-campus and self fund. I feel like taking out at least 15K/year in loans is not a good financial decision. The grad chair at Purdue told me they'd contact me immediately if they could put together a funding package. Kansas has suggested maybe/some point/keep looking (which I am). And, Bowling Green, told me I wasn't on their funding list, but could potentially hear something by July. I need to make a major move; if BG is where I end up, I'd like more warning to find a place to live than July.

Basically, the message across the board has been "we'd love to have you, but can't offer you any support." So, not only is it about loans, but then I'm not even getting teaching experience, which is so critical to the job market.

Not to be too much of a downer, but given the job market I personally wouldn't consider going into any more than a very minimal amount of debt in order to get a PhD. I know it sucks to think about, but maybe take what you've learned this year and reapply next? Down the road you might well be glad that you had waited a year and figured out a way to get into a program that would fund you.

Not to be too much of a downer, but given the job market I personally wouldn't consider going into any more than a very minimal amount of debt in order to get a PhD. I know it sucks to think about, but maybe take what you've learned this year and reapply next? Down the road you might well be glad that you had waited a year and figured out a way to get into a program that would fund you.

I would echo this sentiment. You had a great round this year, it really seems like you could reapply next year and be even more successful now that you know the process. Think about where your writing sample could go...the time you could spend reading up on professors and crafting an SoP that really shows off your 'fit.' If trying to get funding out of your current options doesn't work out, I wouldn't give up on American Studies just yet, especially if you love it -- there are definitely programs out there that fund. That being said, I wouldn't go into debt to get a degree in it, especially given the challenges an interdisciplinary degree presents on the job market. Once your done with your PhD, there may be a few years of uncertainty as you try to land somewhere; that process already seems stressful enough, I can't imagine that adding debt concerns to it will do you any favors.

I would echo this sentiment. You had a great round this year, it really seems like you could reapply next year and be even more successful now that you know the process. Think about where your writing sample could go...the time you could spend reading up on professors and crafting an SoP that really shows off your 'fit.' If trying to get funding out of your current options doesn't work out, I wouldn't give up on American Studies just yet, especially if you love it -- there are definitely programs out there that fund. That being said, I wouldn't go into debt to get a degree in it, especially given the challenges an interdisciplinary degree presents on the job market. Once your done with your PhD, there may be a few years of uncertainty as you try to land somewhere; that process already seems stressful enough, I can't imagine that adding debt concerns to it will do you any favors.

Thanks for your thoughts. I am hopeful that funding is still out there, and I know I don't want to take out major loans to work on my PhD. I have two M.A. degrees that I self funded, and (rightfully or not) feel that I've earned the right to expect a funded PhD. I think I'm going to wait it out until April 15, and see if my prospects don't improve in the meantime.

Does anyone know when the MA decisions at NYU will be released? This waiting is getting ridiculous. I understand that they process the PhD applications first, but how are we supposed to make a timely and informed decision under these circumstances? It's March 18, they have had ample time to review the applications (which I know are many). I'm pretty much decided on W&M at this point, but I still would like to know...

Edited by SuperJan

Crap. I just deleted a very long reply. Okay main points. I was admitted into the Humanities and Social Thought program, but from what I understand if it's not being funded the m.a. that is, then they have alot more leeway with notifications and can kinda do what they want. I hope EVERYONE gets notified soon though. Makes days like eternity's. (Except where the thesis is concerned of course)

I know. I would have understood if one or two schools had indicated they couldn't provide funding, but I'm in total shock it's every school where I've been accepted. Frankly, I wish they'd just put me on a wait list.

I spoke with the grad director at Buffalo, who made it very clear that I shouldn't expect funding at any point, and that many of their students work off-campus and self fund. I feel like taking out at least 15K/year in loans is not a good financial decision. The grad chair at Purdue told me they'd contact me immediately if they could put together a funding package. Kansas has suggested maybe/some point/keep looking (which I am). And, Bowling Green, told me I wasn't on their funding list, but could potentially hear something by July. I need to make a major move; if BG is where I end up, I'd like more warning to find a place to live than July.

Basically, the message across the board has been "we'd love to have you, but can't offer you any support." So, not only is it about loans, but then I'm not even getting teaching experience, which is so critical to the job market.

I really feel that I applied to the wrong programs, and that the way they talk about funding on their web sites isn't really fair or accurate. I should have stuck with English; they seem to fully fund all their PhDs - someone has to teach comp classes.

I will be crossing my fingers for you that funding comes through... For now it sounds like Kansas is the most promising..

The board has been so quiet! Are people still waiting on responses or starting to make decisions?

I've heard from all of my schools at this point. I'm now waiting on some funding news. I think my final decision will come down to Kansas, Bowling Green and Purdue. Is anyone else considering one of these schools? I'd love to connect.

I wonder why its taking so long for what I assume is a rejection from purdue for me...and also what I hope against hope is an acceptance from Rutgers

I'm not sure what the deal is with Rutgers, but you may want to contact the grad director (Susan Curtis) at Purdue. She's responded to my emails pretty quickly.

Hope you get good news from both!

Received an acceptance email from Bowling Green. Of course, no funding. 0/4 on funding...how is this happening?

Did Bowling Green tell you in the acceptance that there was no funding or was that something that you had to contact the department to find out? I just got accepted, but the acceptance came via snail mail and from the Director of Admissions. And, I really have no idea what's going on in this whole process. Excited for an acceptance, but still completely confused.